AM/FM Radio.....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Anyone bought a tabletop AM/FM radio recently? The kind you would use in a kitchen for news and very casual long term background listening. I am looking for one with the main requirement of not inducing "Listener Fatigue" as some radios are prone to do. I have a small portable AM/FM/SW in the kitchen now but, the sound is so bad its driving me nuts!

If you have auditioned any and were able to compare and choose which do you recommend?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Bose Wave.

3. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

I love my little Tivoli Audio Model One which I have in my kitchen and have on all of the time when the big rig lies dormant. It'll fit anywhere and has pretty damn good sound for less than $100.00.

The Model Two is stereo with "sub" add-on. Takes up more room in the kitchen and leaves more room in the wallet, but very nice sound there, too. I have 'em both with the "Two" sitting proudly in the bedroom.

Of course the Bose and Kloss Model 88 are pretty cool as well. Decisions, decisions........the fun kind.

Good Luck.

Bill

4. James RD

James RD Senior Member

5. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

6. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

The Tivoli Model 1 is worth every penny, except if you like AM. Jeff

7. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Any of the Tivoli's will do if you are after radio with a decent sound. I own all 4 types of them. The AM section of the Tivoli seems pretty good to me. Although, It does need to be away from florescents and CRTs . I carry the PAL when I travel and it never lets me down. Input a signal from a portable DVD and its instant midget home theatre! I dont know why anyone would ever buy the Bose. The now discontinued Cambridge Kloss 88 totally smoked it and at half the price!

8. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

The Tivoli models I've heard are fantastic. Get two!

9. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

With regard to the Tivoli's on AM, neither of my Tivoli's are able to receive WNED 970 from Buffalo here in Toronto. Both a Grundig S350 (a great radio for shortwave) and a Sony 7600g can.
    That said, the Tivoli's audio runs circles around both of the above. Jeff

10. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Joe Roberts reviewed the GE SuperRadio in Fi magazine a few years back, and found much to like. It's supposed to be much better than average at pulling in AM stations.

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Tivoli I'd recommend as well. Very cute, yet great sound.

12. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Has anyone compared the GE SuperRadio with the C. Crane AM radio linked above?

13. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Was it worth the price tag?

14. Pepzhez

Pepzhez New Member

Ever consider vintage tabletops? I've found several Grundig Majestic 1099s cheap and in great condition. Sounds and looks better than anything offered today. MUCH less expensive too!

15. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

I have the Crane catalog and the CC radio "looks" good...don't know about the sound!!!

I own the GE SuperRadio in addition to my two Tivoli's. The AM reception IS quite good and it's great for music on the go or sticking out of the window if you're working outside and want to recapture those old university days.

My problem is, I've heard all of the above, except the CC and like 'em all. :)
    Just have fun.

Bill

16. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I have a Grundig Majestic.
    It's quite a big radio with an EL84 running single-ended for the output stage. Sounds glorious. Not enough space for it in the kitchen though.
    I notice that Ratshack sells would looks to be a very similar radio to the SuperRadio boasting extra sensitivity. Has anyone tried this. Another damn fine radio, while we are on the subject of Grundig, is the new S350. Decent AM and impeccable SW. Runs forever on a quartet of D cells and all analog to boot! Jeff

17. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Tivoli Model One--I have one (blue w/cherry cabinet) & it sounds great. And has jacks for: an external signal source; better antenna; & DC power source. One "problem" is that it can have too much(!) bass if placed incorrectly. Using those smooth-acting knobs is really fun. Off topic note: if Tivoli ever made a reproduction of Advent's little stereo receiver they made in the 70s, I would buy one in a heartbeat for a secondary music-only system.

Boston Acoustics "Recepter"--heard this at Tweeter & it sounds better than my Tivoli. But at 50 bucks more it had better! Has a clock too. I think Consumer Reports magazine gave it their "Best Buy" award in a test of table radios a few months ago.

Bose Wave--I'll have to admit it does sound very good, but that price tag is just too much for me.

And I'll agree those GE Superadios have always sounded good & don't cost very much either.

[T]

18. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

My uncle had one of those Grundig radios, which had shortwave (?) reception. I remember toying around with it at the office and found som really hyper music from overseas that sounded like the Jimmy Sturr Polka Band OD'd on too many amphetamines! ;) I think it also had one of those "magic eye" meters to assist with tuning.

19. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I think I must be one of the very few who still listen to shortwave. What's more, these old tube console radios have a nicer sound on sw than whatever love or money will buy today. Unfortunately, they're not the most selective of devices, though with a decent wire sensitive enough. They are also surprisingly detailed. On my Majestic I can hear every tick and pop on CJRT vinyl hour.

And you have to love the magic eye. Unfortunately, Magic Eyes (unlike most of the rest of the tubes in these tabletop behemoths which are as common as the tubes stored on Prix's porch) are tricky to find. Fortunately, they're not essential.

My father won my Grundig in a card game in college in the 50s. Still works great today on the original (including a TELEFUNKEN or two!!!) tubes, though I did have to get the dial restrung.

As to the Tivoli, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the designers (I understand that Mr. Kloss didn't have a lot to do with it) eq'd the radios as well as added dollop of compression to reproduce this nostalgic sound that we all know and love.

As another poster signs, bring back mono!

Jeff

20. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I have two of those suckers, made by Emud though. My old boss had a HUGE Grundig tabletop in his office.

On the subject, I'd go with a Tivoli if price is a consideration. Destined to be a classic!

One of these Cambridge Soundworks might be the ticket as well.
    http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=aud_radio

21. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

On the subject, I'd go with a Tivoli if price is a consideration. Destined to be a classic!

I'd agree with that Khorn. I don't think you can go wrong with a Tivoli. If I remember correctly, you live in Toronto. I could lend you one if you wanted to give it a spin.

As to Grundig, after nearly sixty years in the business, they just went tits up. A sad day for tabletop fans like myself.

Jeff

22. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Thank's for the offer. I was really hoping that the DAB system was going to go over up here but as usual our government shot itself in the foot by backing a losing format. As it stands we still have our place up for sale and if we stay, I would consider re-purchasing an AM/FM tuner as my main system can be easily heard from the kitchen and I would hook it up to the cable system as they have both A/M & FM on it and its good enough for none critical listening.

If we do move though I will seriously consider the Tivoli as it has received such overwhelmingly popular reviews and support on this board. It must be really good.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

23. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

You can get tons of close-out ,reconditioned Cambridge Kloss model 88"s on Ebay right now. It gives you stereo and good AM .
    I love my Tivoli(s) but I think the 88 was one of the best sounding radios ever. Put a CD into the AUX in a small room and you will wonder why you need anything else to listen to music.

24. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Don't forget the the Model One's big (stereo) brother, the Model Two. And you can buy a matching Tivoli CD player, and/or a matching small Tivoli subwoofer. All together it makes up a really (I hate to use this adejective but it fits!) cute little system.

[T]

25. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.