Am I too curious with Lyngdorf?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello

Using Accuphase DG28 digital equalizer, I had done room correction for 16 years more than most of people here.

I had been happily using EMMLab Dac2 for 8 years.

It has detailed and dynamic sound with wide and deep soundstage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I had been using Lansche 4.1 speaker for 11 years which is pretty sensitive(99db/w spec, but real no may be 94db/w) with two actively driven 10 inch driver.

Lansche had sensitive and pristine treble from plasma tweeter which may be good tool for reviewing front end.

I had used 8W Silbatone 300B SET amplifier for 5 years with original Western Electric 300B tube made in 1930's for 6 years.

Then I switched to Rogue Cronus Magnum II which I had been using for 5 years.

Rogue Cronus Magnum II with 100 power can drive my speakers loud enough in my spacious listening space with high vault.

Recently I switched to 48W Line Magnetic 508ia SET amplifier which is one notch above Rogue Cronus Magnum II in every way.
    I had been intrigued by Lyngdorf which combine room correction, Dac and Integrated Amplifier.

But I could not get it for home audition at my home in Washington State.

Thus I bought used Lyngdorf 2170 today which will be delivered by next Friday to me.

At first I will just try out Lyngdorf 2170 as Dac without any room correction to compare with EMMLab Dac2 .

Then I will also try it out as Dac and Integrated Amplifier without using room correction comparing with my present system.

At last I will also try out room correction.

If I get excellent result It can bump out Accuphase DG28 digital equalizer, EMMLab Dac2 and Integrated Amplifier.

But there is possibility that I can switch between Lyngdorf 2170 and Line Magnetic 508ia SET amplifier depending on source of music.

That is I may use Line Magnetic 508ia SET amplifier for vocal music and intimate chamber music.

I may use amplifier section of Lyngdorf 2170 for big orchestra and rock music.

Also I do not exclude the possibility that Lyngdorf 2170 get bumped out of my system for lack of musicality.

I will report the result as it gets going from next Friday.

Thomas

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Bubbamike, SandAndGlass and MC Rag like this.
  2. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Please do. Lyngdorf "RoomPerfect" interested me since I read the experience of someone who audited it and was so pleased that he kept it at home as his main audio processor.

3. thomaskong

I appreciate your kind word.

But it will be delivered next Friday. Thus it will take time.

4. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

@thomaskong : Good luck with the TDAI-2170!

Let me share a few thoughts, and maybe spark further discussion. If you feel this is hijacking your thread, please let me know, and I'll move my comments to a new one.

An increasing number of DAC-preamps with automatic room correction are on the market. Several Lyngdorf models; the new STR preamp by Anthem; the new miniDSP SHD series with Dirac RC, available with or without DAC, at low prices for high-end components. Other choices include the DSPeaker X4; the Trinov Amethyst; and (I think) some by Devialet. For a DAC-preamp with manual RC, we have the Classé CP-800 (which I use) and the upcoming Classé Delta Pre, billed as improved, with better features and more flexibility.

As a community interested in DSP, we badly lack comparative reviews of these units. I would like to know how the US$4,000 Anthem or $5,000 Lyngdorf TDAI2170 stack up against the $10,000 Trinnov and other units. And how do they compare to using a computer with JRiver Media Center, which has its own extensive DSP features?

I find it frustrating that many reviews read something like, "I tried this, and the RC made a nice difference." Or, "This is a great preamp, but I didn't have the time/ability/interest/equipment to evaluate the DSP features." That's not enough! We who have tried DSP already know it works, but we want help identifying outstanding DAC-preamps with outstanding DSP. As you said: musicality. We want DSP features tested thoroughly, and any negative side-effects (e.g., change in tonality, hardness) or limitations (insufficient flexibility) reported clearly.

I am very interested in your impressions of the Lyngdorf and how it compares to your Accuphase and other very refined gear. It will add to the very small selection of such comparisons we have. I'm also interested in your and others' opinions of which of the above units they find interesting.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    RND4mGuy and Bubbamike like this.
  5. thomaskong

I do not have resources to compare all DSP equipments.
    Also, it could be system dependent. Lyngdorf seems to be good match with Tekton Design speakers.

I will try to find out as much as information as I can.

6. zoomin

zoomin Forum Resident

+1 Subscribed.

I've been curious about the Lingdorf as well.

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Looking forward to your updates to this thread. I am aware of the buzz Lyngdorf has been making among the Tekton crowd and would like to hear from a less rah-rah source.

8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I would consider a separate preamp with your LM 508iA.

I have the 518iA and having a separate preamp makes all the difference.

9. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Thanks for putting up with my rant. Of course, you can't try or review everything. I wish the mainstream high-end magazines would do more DSP stuff, though, instead of those $50,000 power amps.

10. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I'd rather they didn't. Reviewing over hyped and overpriced products means they have less time to meddle with other things which keeps the price range of DSP processors low enough for us to try and buy.

11. thomaskong

I bough 2 years old used Lyngdorf 2170 with USB input(new price 4,400$) which was delivered to me on Nov. 8th.

The first thing that I wanted to do was how it compare with EmmLab Dac2.

Using digital output from Jays CDT2 Mk2, it's analogue output was connected to Rogue Cronus Magnum II without room correction.

My Rogue Cronus Magnum II had been refitted with Nos AMPEREX (BUGLE BOY) 12AU7 and 12AX7 about 3 years ago.

It sounds much better than stock tubes with refined high,natural mid and better nuance.

Recently I replaced AMPEREX 12AX7 with Telefuken 12AX7 that I bough 2 years ago at 90$.

Wow it resulted in explosive dynamics and wider sounstage without etched high.

If you own Rogue Cronus Magnum II, you have to try Nos Telefuken 12AX7 yourself.

It need to be noted that even Nos tube quality can vary so you need to buy a tube from the reliable source who offer unconditional return.

The new list price of my 8 years old EmmLab Dac2 was 9,000$.

It was one of the best about 8 years ago with deep and powerful bass, wide and deep soundstage, excellent dynamics and details.

The only catch is that it is so revealing (not forgiving) that it can sound too analytical on some system.

Lyngdorf 2170 also has deep and powerful bass but falls slightly short of EmmLab Dac2 .

Lyngdorf has slightly deeper soundstage than EMM while EMM has slightly wider soundstage.

EMM has slightly more details while Lyngdorf has slightly more well defined focus.

EMM is more dynamic but Lyngdorf is more forgiving but not laid back.

Thus they are almost even in terms of quality of Dac.

But I prefer forgiving sound of Lyngdorf to EMM in my analytical system.

Although EmmLab Dac2 is 8 years old, I was of the opinion that Dac under 4K can not be better EMM overall sound.

But Dac function of Lyngdorf is as good as EMM.

After that, I used Lyngdorf 2170 as Dac and integrated amplifier.

Without room correction called Roomperfect, it gave lot of detail but bloated bass.

With Roomperfect in focus position and 5 more random positions, it reached 96% of room knowledge.

Now the bass got tighter and deeper but it sounds bright with too much details.

I had tried several voicing options and chose “movie” voicing which reduces treble region.

Now it is listenable with lot of details. but I found it lacks musicality.

When I play “Yesterday Once More” by carpenters, it gave detailed and transparent sound but lacking warmth of her voice.

After connecting to Rogue Cronus using pre-out of Lyngdorf after Roomperfect, it sounded much balanced.

I had also tried out several voicing options and settled upon “open” voicing which reduce the bass region.

After playing back “Yesterday Once More” by carpenters, I felt a sigh of relief.

Her voice feel real and warm.

To conclude, amplifier section of Lyngdorf 2170 was complete mismatch with my speaker Lansche 4.1.

It sounds very detailed but lack warmth and bloom offered by tube amplifier.

I had 40 years of audio history.

In the recent 20 years I had been using only tube power amplifiers.

The last solid state power amplifier that I used 20 years ago was Krell KSA 150 class A amplifier to drive Apogee Duetta Signature planar speakers.

It may be difficult for me to go back to SS sound.

But the combination of pre out of Lyngdorf using it as Dac and room correction, Rogue Cronus Magnum II and Lansche 4.1 speakers is a heavenly match with good details, excellent soundstage (wide and deep), forgiving warmth and overall balance.

Thus Lyngdorf 2170 is a keeper in my system but not as power amplifier.

Lyngdorf 2170 may work as integrated amplifier in other system but not in mine.

But I think it is still a good value with excellent Dac and room correction digital equalizer.

12. thomaskong

Lyngdorf 2170 bumped Accuphase Digital Equalizer that I had used for room correction last 18 years.( I had paid 10K USD 18 years ago)

It also bumped EMMLab Dac2 that I had used for 8 years. ( I had paid 9K USD 8 years ago)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  13. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Wow, that's a lot of spaces!

Vignus likes this.
  14. zoomin

zoomin Forum Resident

Thanks for the detailed review!

If I can find a used one locally I'll definitely give it a go.

15. thomaskong

Thanks for kind word.

Amplifier of Lyngdorf 2170 is a typical SS sound with lot of details with transparency but lacks warmth of tube amplifier.

You shall give a try yourself to find out whether it fit your system.

But Dac and room correction is worth the price.[/QUOTE]

16. Helom

Helom Forum member

The term "pre out" would suggest that the Lyngdorf is being used to control the system volume and the Rogue is a stand-alone amp.

So what you're actually doing is using the Lyngdorf's line-level analog out to the Chronus' built-in preamp.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. thomaskong

Rogue Cronus Integ does not have pre- input to bypass the volume or some input tubes.

Thus I use both volume controls.

The important point is that power amplifier section of Lyngdorf does not sound well with my speakers.

18. thomaskong

When I had connected Lyngdorf 2170 to my Lansche 4.1 speaker, it did not work well.
    It sounds too hot and I got headache after half hour listening.
    It was like watching Star Wars movie in the theater.

But I suspect system mismatch.
    Lansche 4.1 speaker has extension up to 160Khz with its plasma tweeter.

StereoTimes --

If Lyngdorf 2170 provide ultra sonic signal to the speaker, then it may sound hot.

I also keep Vaughn Cabernet speaker just in case that plasma tweeters of Lansche 4.1 need repair.
    It happened 3 year ago but plasma tweeter had been fine since then.

Vaughn Cabernet speaker has a ribbon tweeter but it sound much softer than plasma tweeters of Lansche 4.1.

With ceramic mid range driver, it also has good timber.

VAUGHN CABERNET SPEAKER REVIEW

Just after connecting Lyngdorf 2170 to Vaughn Cabernet speaker, the sound was very likable.
    With room correction called "RoomPerfect", the sound got transparent and dynamic.

https://www.amazon.com/Sister-Drum-Dadawa/dp/B000002HL6

I had tried "Sister Drum" by Dadawa.

With oriental vocal, it has a explosive drum sound at the end.
    Vaughn Cabernet speaker (93db/w and active two 10 inch woofers) driven by Lyngdorf 2170 gave wonderful dynamics.

It also gave very wide and deep sound stage.

https://www.amazon.com/1s-Mariah-Carey/dp/B00000FC6I

When I played Mariah Carey’s #1’s, her voice was sweet and extended but not etched.

This a heavenly match between Vaughn Cabernet speaker and Lyngdorf 2170.

Lansche 4.1 speaker driven by Line Magnetic 508 is also sweet and dynamic.

Of course Lansche 4.1 ( new retail price of 55K$) has more detail and explosive dynamics than Vaughn Cabernet speaker

But heavenly match of Vaughn Cabernet speaker and Lyngdorf 2170 is very close (more than 90%)to the sound of Lansche 4.1 speaker driven by Line Magnetic 508 at 1/4th of retail price.

When I use tube amplifier like Line Magnetic 508, I wait 10 minutes at least to warm up tube amp.

But I do not need to wait for Lyngdorf 2170 which has been fully turned on all the time ( 30W idle power).

I consider setting up the second system in my living room using Vaughn Cabernet speaker and Lyngdorf 2170.

I am enjoying Eva Cassidy’s beautiful voice through it while writing this.

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

A non sequitur? I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay. I can't help myself when I see that.

20. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Maybe a sympton of diarrhea audiophilia ?

21. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

So, what kind of fuse are you using in that Lyngdorf?

22. thomaskong

You can not change fuse with Lyngdorf.

So I leave stock one.

23. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

The correct title of this thread should have been :
    I Am Curious Lyngdorf

Dr. Mudd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.