Amazon Free Autorip

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Electric Sydney, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me how Amazon “decides” which albums offered include free Autorip?

2. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

As far as I can tell it's completely random.

3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It’s simply a matter of whether it’s offered or not at point of sale. Clearly some labels or recordings do not grant them the licence or copyright to offer the mp3 as well.

If it's a dealbreaker then don’t buy. But, it’s not as if they hide it from you.

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Funny, I got one when I purchased B'52's Cosmic Thing AF via prime :laugh:

5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Beware of Amazon deliveries bearing gifts.

I got bitten on gifting the vinyl of Bowie's "Blackstar" to somebody. Even though it was AutoRip-enabled in big print, it turns out that Autorip doesn't apply to gifts ever. (Not that I'd ever actually listen to Amazon MP3s, but I don't think the person who got the gift has any intentions of opening the vinyl.)

6. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I apparently still have an AutoRip of the Gabriel-era Genesis remixes after I bought the box set a few years ago. It even includes the extra tracks from the bonus disc. For some reason, the Collins-era sets didn't have AutoRip included if you bought physical copies.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Then why did you choose that as a gift for them ?

8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I have on occasion received a CD on day of release (via Prime) and then received an email a few days later informing me that my "free" Autorip MP3 is now ready for download.

However in the UK, Prime does not always mean next day on CD's and especially back catalogue CD's can take a few days to arrive, so the Autorip is quite handy for impatience.

9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

But it does say that in the T&Cs.

10. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I have no idea. But they retroactively added all the albums I bought before the program was added. At least they did it right.

Chazzbo13 and AlienRendel like this.
  11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, it can happen that even years later, an LP can turn up in your Amazon library, simply because they’ve finally got the rights to offer it as an mp3.

AlienRendel likes this.
  12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Neat looking object. It was theirs to do with what they want.

13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This is like buying a car for a monkey and expecting the dealer to throw in a free motorcycle.

14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Hey, I didn't invent Autorip. As another poster said, the gift-gotcha is in the T&Cs, and after buying tons of physical product from them - none of it tagged as gifts - it was a surprise to me. Thought it might be something for someone else thinking about value to ponder.

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Post of the year. :biglaugh:

Trader Joe likes this.
  16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yeah, my friends aren't monkeys.

17. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

The point is that the monkey has no use for the car.

ARK, MikeManaic61, Trader Joe and 3 others like this.
  18. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I’ve been able to access some earlier cd purchases from Amazon from cd’s I’ve stored and can’t get to at the moment. Comes in handy, especially if you have the Amazon Music app, the purchases can be played and downloaded from it.

19. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I think my friends can operate vinyl if they feel like it.

20. It all comes down to licensing with the labels. Amazon would LOVE to offer everything as it would be another reason for many buyers to choose them over other retailers..

eric777 likes this.
  21. I keep hearing this but there are several gifts I've sent to others over the past twenty years and they are found in my auto rip.

22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yeah, all you have to do is add an address to your account, and get it delivered there. But when you go through checkout, there's a tickbox for "This is a gift." It allows you to include a note (and I presume hide the price on the packing slip). Seems to be key.

Geordiepete and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  23. whatprogress

whatprogress Cowbell Enthusiast

Just wondering, have any of you received AutoRip content on any new releases or reissues that were released after July 31 2018? It seems that nothing I've purchased since then qualifies for AutoRip. The last two titles added to my AutoRip library were the Buffalo Springfield 'Whats's That Sound' and PiL 'Public Image is Rotten' box sets.

John Porcellino likes this.
  24. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

I’ve gotten the Lindsey Buckingham Solo Anthology, the Aretha Franklin Singles Collection, and the Bob Seger & The Last Heard compilation all as AutoRips after July 31.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Electric Sydney likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

probably the better sellers...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.