Amazon Prime member exclusives? What the...?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Pennywise, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident Thread Starter

I tried to buy the new Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie CD on Amazon today, and couldn't because it was "exclusive to Prime members"! When did this start? They're actually not letting people buy certain product without joining their overpriced Prime membership? I'm sure the artists would be thrilled by this if they knew! Anyone else come across this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. Pennywise

RTurner likes this.
  4. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Just buy it at Target. Same price ($9.99) - the 'Prime Only' policy is outrageous. I was planning to sign up for Prime for the television content but now I will abstain based on this new policy of not selling certain new releases to 'free' members.

Dave and Pennywise like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Not seeing it, but I'm a Prime member. Buy it from Bull Moose, $9.97.

Pennywise likes this.
  6. Pennywise

I will certainly buy it elsewhere. I just find it odd that they would deliberately stop people from buying product. I did send them a scathing e-mail. :D

drivingfrog, Dave and Planbee like this.
  7. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Just out of curiosity, I tried ordering it. No luck. I am stunned that there isn't at least an option for non-Primers to buy it from Amazon.com at a higher price. Just amazing that they WILL NOT let you buy something unless you pay the $99 bribe. Honestly, F--- Amazon. They should remember that no company stays on top forever.

Graham, drivingfrog, Dubmart and 4 others like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yup that just happened to me too

9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Are the other online sources above including free two-day shipping? Which by definition the AZ Prime only offer does.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh yeah, most definitely (and I don't think there's anything wrong with that).

11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I can wait.

If the item is Music, DVD, etc, it's not essential. Annoying, yes.

In a sense, it gives me perspective of the relative worth of the "exclusive item" and Amazon's general wholesale cost for it.

With me, both the Artist and Amazon lose a sale. Which obviously is imperceptible to them, but hopefully my "vote", along with other customers', will appear on one of their computer generated statistics as a failed Prime Membership sales ploy.

Again, If none of that happens, I'm OK.

Maybe others should take their business to other retailers, such as Bull Moose, Amoeba , Deep Discount, etc.

Pennywise likes this.
  12. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

How many days were you unable to buy it without being a prime member?

13. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

I agree with the sentiment 100%, but recent developments show they won't be going away any time soon.

My current gripe with non-Prime Amazon is how crappy the Super Saver shipping has become. It never used to take as long as it does now, I'm sure because now more than ever they're trying to push you not to choose that option. Guess you really get what you (don't) pay for.

14. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

id say take the other approach and by as much amazon stock as you can afford

because for an individual, boycotting amazon is about as effective as boycotting the rain.

drivingfrog likes this.
  15. Pennywise

I didn't go back to find out.

16. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Agreed this tactic is troublesome, but the items usually go back to open sale after a few days. I haven't been discouraged from buying something because of it, and I certainly won't be forced to join Prime because of it.

17. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

If amazon is gonna have a secret membership to get certain stuff then they need to be honest about and say .. if you want full amazon acess pay the yearly fee.. oh wait theyd lose 1/2 their customers so they just lie to them

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They won't be having that, so they won't need to say that.

19. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Some blank cassettes I wanted, and have bought in the past, went to "Prime Only". I left them in my "Saved for Later" stash. In the last week, I noticed they stopped being for "Prime Only" but were still at the same lower price. I bought them. I noticed today, since I still have them in my "Saved for Later" stash, that they've gone back to being "Prime Only".

Lots of people, like Warren Buffet, love it that some types of Insurance are Mandatory.

It's great when you can get people's monies before they use the product. Before they may EVER use the product.

Prime is more than that, I realize.

But...for those who don't want to pay this Prime Fee Upfront...but who have been loyal customers, it only means that we are blocked from purchasing certain items and our shipping time is longer.

"Thank you for your loyalty and we bet you'll not only put up with it, but will finally succumb."

Amazon thinks they can control supply and demand...but they might outsmart themselves one of these days...

I ALREADY have started buying much less music from them. And have been going through Discogs and Ebay.

I bought a Sub Phatty Moog from Guitar Center...earlier in the year...that I would have previously bought from Amazon.

Planbee likes this.
  20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm actually more amazed that they still make and sell blank (audio?) cassettes! I thought they stopped making them years ago. Glad they're still around.

21. CirculationUnderflow

do you have join prime to have access to such blank audio

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

23. CirculationUnderflow

but hey they dont bother to tell you on the front page that

AND THAT IS A CRAP COMPANY THAT PULLS THIS NONSENSE regardless where i spend my money ITS STILL SHADY AF

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Okay, calm down dude... This isn't worth getting so worked up over. :)

25. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

So, if you spend $1,000's a year and NEED all your junk shipped within two days of ordering, and it will save you at least $99 a year in shipping costs, Prime would be great.
    Of course the shipping isn't really "free" until you have saved more than $99 in S&H.

But if you are more of an occasional buyer, why not just buy your items on other sites?
    Does Amazon really have anything that cannot be had on sites like ebay, big box sites, etsy, or whatever?
    Amazon isn't holding a monopoly like you utility or communication companies.

Plus with buying anything anywhere, the real question should be - "what is the final cost all things considered?" Amazon might have great deals but if you have to spend $99 to access them, what is the final cost?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.