AMC pulls all of Chris Hardwick's shows amid sexual assault allegations

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael Rose, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The touch/lack of touch is somewhat beside the point.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No it's not! If he had touched her boobs, that would be one thing, but he didn't.

3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

he didn't. he was acting the fool but having him lumped in with Cosby / Weinstein is part of the problem

4. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

That has to be one of the most heinous things I've ever read on this forum.

Let me get this straight. According to the above poster, false accusations against innocent men can be justified due to crimes that past men may (or may not) have committed? In essence, making them sacrificial lambs. "So be it", he says. :realmad: Would you be cool with the "unpleasantness" if it were yourself or your son whom was falsely accused? Probably not, I bet.

showtaper, realkilroy, Grant and 3 others like this.
  5. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I don't see that anywhere in Rene's comment.

Has the "Me too" movement taken down a single "innocent" thus far?

Edit: bonus points for the first guy to mention "virtue signaling" :D

Hall Cat and BeatleJWOL like this.
  6. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I had a college professor who was a known predator. He made sexually suggestive comments which I chose to ignore. He would hang out at the same bars the students gather. Standing next to him in the crowded bar he would hold his drink in one hand and stroke my hand with the other. There was nothing I could do because if I had said anything I would have been accused of homophobia by the SJW league. This is what I call gender privilege.

7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Sorry, but :laugh:. So you stayed and had your hand stroked because you were afraid to walk away? I would politely excuse myself from that one.

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Drink in face - say nothing.

Zoot Marimba and BeatleJWOL like this.
  9. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I wasn’t just that one time. It stopped when I graduated.

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thank God you did.

11. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

He was a professor and had control over my grades. Was I going to transfer out? Why should I? I am not a weak person and have received similar come-ons from cisgender females (learned this term just last month and I am using it in real conversation!) just not in a power position. My post is merely reacting to another post which mentioned "gender privilege".

12. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Was he your advisor or something? You had a bunch of classes with him as your professor?

13. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

It was a small university and I was in one of his classes. At the time it was just a mere annoyance to me. I can understand the dynamics would be quite different if a female is harassed by a male. This episode was indeed a lesson to me on how to treat women. I certainly would not subject another human being to this.

I did mention this to another professor but he said nothing in reply. I knew then to just shut up.

14. Grant

For the benefit of those of us who do not know, what is the SJW league?

What you described is yet another twist in this whole thing. Although I have never seen it happen, how about gays who hit on their own sex? I would think that a victim would be even more reluctant to say anything for people thinking they were also gay.

15. Grant

I looked up that word. Honestly, it's a brain-twister to me. I don't understand it. I understand gender-fluid, but that's it.

16. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Getting back to topic, and perhaps this was said before, but according to her claims that she was raped and blacklisted and all that, but why would she begging to get back with him?

He broke it off, and did it in a long text that was actually pretty mature from my read.

Perhaps it was the after effects and more evidence, but so far, the rape/sexual abuse sure seems suspicious. I wouldn't want to still be friends with a rapist, I wouldn't want to "always love" that person if it was so bad that I would want to report it.

Furthermore according to her it was many times throughout 2012-2014, but according to the texts she was wanting to stay involved with him.

Why did she post to social media instead of the police/authority? How does one "quietly post" to the internet?

17. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I'm not saying every accusation anybody makes is 100% accurate, but if you're still asking the "why do they go back to their abuser?" question, then you're either not reading these articles or you don't believe the phenomenon of people seeking out contact with their abuser for a plethora of reasons. It's one of the main reasons why abusive relationships continue.

What perplexes me is that you don't even have to dive deep into psychological studies to learn about this phenomenon. Watch an episode of "Cops" where an abuse victim doesn't want to report their abuser and wants to stay with them. I'm sure many folks have known people who stay in abusive relationships. It's not even as if those people should never shoulder *any* responsibility, especially when they have at least some means other abuse victims don't (e.g. money, a network of friends and family to turn to, etc.). But even then it's quite common for people to not simply stay with their abuser, but to be vastly afraid of "losing" them.

And yes, I think some of us have also known people who we have to sort of wash our hands with at a certain point if they continue to revisit their abusive relationship. Especially when the abusive things happening are not easily remedied by going to the police, etc.

Dykstra's essay specifically takes responsibility for her choosing to engage in and stay in the relationship. My takeaway from her article was that she was owning up to her responsibility, but also (rightly) pointing out that her alleged abuse was not justified by her willingness to put herself in a position to be victimized.

As for these text messages that are starting to surface, they don't appear to contain anywhere near a full-enough document of even the aftermath of the relationship to give the texts much weight. If I've read all of the extant messages (which clearly have been leaked by the "Hardwick Camp"), it doesn't even really paint a picture of Dykstra wanting to get back into the relationship so much as trying to reach some sort of peace in their post-relationship status. Dykstra's own words in her essay depict her more strongly trying to seek out the (alleged) abusive relationship than those text messages do.

IronWaffle and kevywevy like this.
  18. Note that I did not say it was the SAME thing, Grant.

19. Grant

But, you did say it was beside the point. What was your point?

20. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I'm not going near the subject of the allegations.

However, MSN reports that Hardwick was the founder of Nerdist, yet the company has erased all references to him "pending further investigation."

That is literally rewriting history--a very dangerous road to take.

21. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I know and have read everything you wrote and I stand by my words.

The abuse you speak of I assign to people that have been abused and forceably raped not just having sex she thought was uncomfortable. That and people that are married and have financial and lawful ties as well as emotional ones....not to mention kids. Her own statement was weak. To compare her situation to that is just absurd to me.

I think she is lying and seeking opportunity. Just not buying it at all.

She is a cheater and obviously a manipulator more concerned about saving face then going after the wrong doing.

Read her words not just Chris. It smells.

22. the pope ondine

kevin spacey I guess set the new norm

I went to a catholic boarding school, saw some similar kind of stuff

23. the pope ondine

Aziz got exposed for what exactly....im still confused.
    Richard Dreyfuss as well.....but maybe theres more to the story

24. It was a fairly simple one, actually. What Franken did was a terrible thing. Especially given his age at the time, it was not funny, not appropriate, not acceptable (heinous might have been an over-reach). It wasn't a touching type of sexual assault, but it was worth him losing his position of power over. {my opinion}

25. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

The Ansari one was a little weird but I don't think his career is over; just laying low since that embarrassing story came out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.