AMC unveils $20 subscription plan to combat MoviePass

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

RayS likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Does that work with IMAX theaters, or just the compromised "Lie-Max" standards you see in the cineplexes?

McLover likes this.
  3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

For as long as I remember we've gone to the actual theater like once a year. We talked about Moviepass when it came out and never got one. We won't get this. I'm willing to wait until Redbox for the few movies that come out that we want to see, and by the time they do I've usually forgotten that I wanted to see them at all. We used to live for movies, now I'm out of the target demographic by a country mile.

GLENN and Motorcity supernaut like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm intrigued...

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

One question I would want answered before joining: Can I watch two or three movies on the same day? I’d probably want to catch all three movies on Saturday and/or Sunday.

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It will include IMAX and 3D. Don't know about more than one movie a day though.

7. Dillydipper

We visit a local independent cinema at least once a week. And people are constantly pitching us that we should get a MoviePass. I tell 'em, we're already "members" there, we only pay $5 a show, and we still support the theater. They say yeah, but we could also use it elsewhere. We say, we don't have time to go elsewhere (and I'm the only one that wants to anyway). And if we did, we wouldn't be supporting the theater we prefer that way. They say WE COULD SAVE MONEY. And we say, but, we want the theater we support to HAVE money, because we. are. SUPPORTING. them. And they say..."I don't know what your problem is."

And we say...go online for showtimes and see how many mall cinemas are all showing the same films on any given weekend, that we have no interest in (because, having DVR's at home, we zap through movie trailers as well).

Then we say, "but if you'd like to come with us, we can get you a free pass to see our movies...because we're members."

mikeyt and longdist01 like this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Found this on Gizmodo: "Subscribers can watch up to three movies per week with the membership, or blow through their three-movie allotment in one day (with a two-hour buffer between each viewing). Repeat viewings are allowed, and your movie allowance resets every Friday morning. Stubs A-List unfortunately requires a three-month minimum commitment."

Monosterio likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They'd have to pay me to get me to come to a movie theater to see one or more movie a week. :laugh:

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I don’t think it would be possible to use the word “we” more than you did in this post.

jjh1959 likes this.
  11. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Sounds similar to what various UK cinema chains have been doing for years (like, nearly 20 years) - £19.99 a month for unlimited movies.

(And yes; that’s truly unlimited)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Obviously you can do whatever makes you happy, but using MoviePass would not support your independent cinema any less. They'd get the same $5, but it would be from MoviePass instead of you.

Chris DeVoe, mrjinks and IronWaffle like this.
  13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I would join something like this if it gave me exclusive access to classic movies in a theater setting. Now that would be cool!

14. RayS

I guess if you care about IMAX or 3D this might make sense. Otherwise it is paying double to be limited to one theater chain.

15. Dillydipper

Oui. :D

SBurke likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

Then, where is the profit motive in this business plan? AND, if it works, why would AMC try and scuttle it by starting their own competing service?

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If AMC owns any true IMAX theaters, one assumes it'd include them.

However, I'm betting all AMC IMAX screens are LIEMAX affairs.

LIEMAX is actually worth it for movies like the Marvels, "Blade Runner 2049" or "Sully", as those use expanded aspect ratios...

SBurke likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

AMC's website says this:

"You could have a triple feature in one day"

So no mention of a two-hour buffer, but that might come in the fine print later...

mmars982 likes this.
  19. Dillydipper

Yeah, I've seen a couple, and there's no question it's a more involving effect than a standard auditorium. It's just a diminishing of the brand IMAX has built up, in the process of "expanding the brand".

Like, say, diminishing the reputation Bose has for 901 loudspeakers, by putting the same name on a WaveRadio. In this example it appears to have worked out for them, but at the expense of a buttload of hype. And, the loss of pickier stereo nerds whose esteem is at risk.

20. Oatsdad

In this case, though, I don't think the brand "diminishing" has impacted a passion for true IMAX.

I mean, did you hear of anyone who refused to see "Dunkirk" in true IMAX because they were miffed about LIEMAX?

21. Dillydipper

I...never asked around, so I can't say if I even know anybody who saw Dunkirk. :shrug:

22. Oatsdad

Start asking, punk! :D

Point remains: your analogy implies film snobs will avoid real IMAX exhibitions because they fear the taint of association with LIEMAX.

I just can't imagine that's ever happened or ever will!

SBurke likes this.
  23. RayS

The first question is one that will continue to be asked while MoviePass bleeds money until they finally go belly up. They speak of nebulous things like the value of consumer data, or profiting from consumers who go to less than a movie a month (just the folks who would subscribe to MoviePass, right?), but neither of these could ever offset the massive amount of money they lose on the vast, vast majority of their subscribers. So where could the income come from to make MP profitable at some point? Clearly AMC feels that MP's plan is to extract that money from theaters once they've embedded themselves into the moviegoing experience. And AMC is not as confident as I am that MoviePass is doomed (they have a lot more to lose, after all), so they'd rather squelch it before it grows into an organization they'd have to pony up to in order to stay in competition with theaters aligned with MoviePass, once MoviePass's influence reaches critical mass.

24. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Same as in Holland for €20 per monrh. Cuneville, Pathe, etc. Unlimited..

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. RayS

I was so captivated by the first IMAX film I saw (The Scorsese Rolling Stones film), I thought I'd go out of my way to see IMAX from then on whenever I could. And then I saw "How the Earth Stood Still" (the remake) in IMAX, looking like a blurry videotape. I haven't been back since, which is about 10 years. Does anyone make legit IMAX films anymore? I honestly don't have a clue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.