American Britpop?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davideleo, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davideleo

davideleo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I came across this page on lastfm. It sounds a bit odd, of course, since britpop is so geographically connoted, but actually I can't think of a better tag for the two tracks listed there and I think there are quite a few more that could be listed there.
    So, I wonder, was the term "britpop" ever used officially (that is by musicologists, critics, journalist, etc.) for american acts?

2. Moko

Moko Forum Resident

SpaceHog are the only ones I can think of

warewolf95 and veloso2 like this.
  3. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I've wondered the same actually. Was Britpop the equivalent to American Grunge, or what? I think they rose to the fore at about the same time. Band music with lots of guitars. American rock and British pop, to simplify it a bit. Well Well... :confused:

4. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

The Brits were bored by grunge and that led to the Brit Pop explosion. I have been putting together an iTunes library of prime Brit Pop to listen to by the pool. I have 60+ CDs presently (most suggested at this site) and I am always on the lookout for more!

5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

"American Britpop"? Sure, why not? We desperately need more genres; without them, we can't invent new sub-genres like "American-Mid-West Britpop"... :)

Holy Diver, c-eling, Tristero and 2 others like this.
  6. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Well technically, Spacehog were a British band, as all, of it's members originated from England. However, the group was formed in the USA when they were all living in New York at the time.

warewolf95 and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  7. Sounds like classic Power Pop with new dressing

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. davideleo

:rolleyes: New genres? Who's wants more genres? I just mean Britpop played by american bands, how am I supposed to name it?

gregorya likes this.
  9. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

"American Britpop" = "Britpop" drowned in Ranch dressing. Side of fries. Super-sized.

D.D.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Mr. Grieves likes this.
  10. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

To be honest, I always thought that Britpop was a silly genre, but mostly I was just kidding around... ;)

davideleo likes this.
  11. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Not equivalent in style, but in terms of popularity.

Listen to Oasis or early Robbie Williams... can't say this style followed in America.

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

The phrase might sound oxymoronic, but here is an example of "American Merseybeat." :pineapple:

13. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Robbie Williams? The "boy band" singer? Please don't insult our intelligence.

14. dmiller458

When a British rock fan says pop, it doesn't have the same negative connotations as it does when an American says it. They usually just mean popular without any type of value judgement.

As far as American Britpop, I think the April 93 cover of Select magazine said it all...
    [​IMG]

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

With the style and lyrical content Brit Pop could have only been done by British bands. It is a sub genre of Indie (independent) style of music.

16. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

British blues was as bizarre and...

davideleo likes this.
  17. dmiller458

It's like asking if there are any British heartland rock bands.

18. Django

Django Forum Resident

Some Irish britpop.....Bawl from finglas in Dublin were signed up & dropped in the britpop feeding frenzy. Some great songs, they were probably a bit unlucky though. I think they did one album as bawl and then changed they're name to fixed stars and released a few singles before splitting. The singer has resurfaced under the name pony club and puts out music every few years.

Love this one.

davideleo likes this.
  19. dmiller458

Britpop produced one of the greatest rock star quotes of all-time. Liam Gallagher on Oasis' rivalry with Blur, "I've worked on building sites. That fundamentally makes my soul a lot more purer than theirs."

And the best part? He said it with a straight face...

20. Django

Django Forum Resident

That's was Noel.....and there was a touch of irony.

AJK74 and tages like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If it's good why not.

22. dmiller458

Was it Noel? I didn't hear any irony in his voice.

23. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Cool, Boss Drum

24. davideleo

Well, to be honest I think there is some Pub Rock (namely some Costello and Lowe) which I'd rather tag as Heartland Rock, at least for the sound.

You see? That's the point: I've seen the Britpop tag used easily for non-british bands as long as they're not American. Same thing happened in reverse in the 60s for Garage Rock, which was the american take on the British invasion music: there are quite a few Garage Rock bands from almost any European country, but nobody ever dared tag as Garage Rock a British band. Them are sometimes labeled as Garage only because they're Irish, but quite a few British bands played like Them.

Yes it is, it is actually the unavoidable mixture of all the Indie styles that were popular in Britain at the time, but that were by no means a British exclusive. Perhaps the inspiration to British pop music of the previous decades served as a catalyst for this melting pot, but I think it has been widely overstated and mainly used as a marketing expedient. Truth is the same kind of convergence of different Indie styles actually took place in the States as well. I just find it odd that musicologists never felt the need to use a less geographically connoted term to define a style of music which occurred worldwide.

25. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Robbie Williams made some good pop records in that era, but he wasn't in any way Britpop (despite how much he wanted to be).

SJP, Kingsley Fats and primejive like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.