American Epic - New documentary and music reissue series of 1920s-30s blues and other American music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Buckyball, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was excited by the announcement of a new PBS documentary series called American Epic.

http://www.americanepic.com/

I also noticed an interesting announcement from John Tefteller about the audio restoration work that's been undertaken for this project with old recordings from the '20s-'30s. I look forward to hearing them.

https://www.facebook.com/john.tefteller.9/posts/867991949906568?fref=nf

Here's part of what he posted:

2. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

thanks!!

3. Royce

Royce Senior Member

I'm looking forward to this! :agree:

4. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Looks incredible!

5. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

Thanks for posting

6. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

WOW. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Can't wait!

bonus likes this.
  7. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Sensational. The more I listen to the music of that era, the more I want to revisit it. Addictive once your ears adjust. Wonder how much they'll be able to do in terms of making the voices (in particular) sound natural.

8. Henryflowr

Henryflowr Honorary Toastmaster Emeritus Runner-Up

Sounds fantastic; can't wait . . .

9. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Very exciting!

10. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Cool!! Can't wait to see it!

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

When is it airing ?!

12. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Update from American Epic Facebook page

we are currently making the rounds of festivals, and the finished films will be broadcast (on PBS) in late spring of 2017, after which DVDs will be made available. Thank you for your patience while we've been busy wrapping things up. We hope that we'll be coming to your city soon, so keep an eye out here for updates over the coming months!
    October 5 at 1:07pm

John B Good, bluesbro and Scope J like this.
  13. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I received the next year's calendar from Blues Images,again they have used the same audio restoration,i'm hearing the Charley Patton tracks like never before,you are in the room.OUTSTANDING.
    I've done a bit of net surfing about Nicholas Bergh the engineer and his new amazing restoration technique,i've found nothing other that he is a member of the Audio Engineering Society.
    Any clues or info?

The Beave and Dave Simms like this.
  14. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

I guess it's a debate if the invention of recordings helped or hurt music over time? Sure we are glad to have our own versions in our hands to play when we want. We also love that it preserves music. But I keep thinking of payola, not just the 50s rock and rock payola, but all pay to play. This decided what was to be heard and what would be popular. What did we loose when the artist was no in control of the music, i.e. before recordings? I assume a similar case can be said for live performance promoters? Maybe I am speaking about art free of commercial decisions? Maybe I'm just dreaming?

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Good to see Taj Mahal at the forefront. I hope this isnt a bunch of "roots" rambling from Jack and Elton. We dont need that. We arent ignorant. Just shut up and let us mostly see the films.

ruben lopez likes this.
  16. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

So it looks like it's finally official (If Amazon can be believed):

American Epic Blu-ray 29.99 and 34.99 (I imagine the first id DVD and the second Blu-ray)

• Format: NTSC, Widescreen
    • Language: English
    • Subtitles: English
    • Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only )
    • Number of discs: 2
    • Studio: PBS Distribution
    • DVD Release Date: June 13, 2017
    • Run Time: 330 minutes

17. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Amazon blurb: From executive producers T Bone Burnett, Robert Redford and Jack White, this is the story of early American recorded music when the musical strands of a nation first combined to spark a cultural renaissance that forever transformed the future of music and the world. Also includes a feature-length film of in-studio sessions, with leading contemporary artists recording early American music on a restored 1920s recording machine.

18. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

19. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

This was originally scheduled to be screened here in the UK as part of the BBC Arena series in October 2015. Then it was pushed back to October 2016.
    I'm glad that at last, something seems to be happening and we may get to see this in the Spring.
    Personally I can't wait.

CusBlues, Small Fish and Kevin55 like this.
  20. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

I'm hoping it will be broadcast in April or May; based on the May 2 date of release for the companion book. But as you say it's been scheduled before.

21. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Wonderful, I can't wait.
    And I noticed that Whoopi Goldberg is not part of it. Not sure how the British Elton John can be a part of American Rural Music though.

22. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

This is the Blu-Ray on Amazon realease date June 13, 2017. I've read reports that say the PBS Broadcast will be May 16th, 23rd and 30th. See this page from Alabama public TV
    [​IMG]

Dave Simms, Scope J and ruben lopez like this.
  23. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

John B Good likes this.
  24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Will be interested to hear of the Video disk release ...

While waiting for the Ken Burns country music program :)

25. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

It will be on PBS May 2017 in 3 Episodes:

May 16
    The Big Bang (56 min)
    Travel to 1920s Tennessee as the Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers, and the Memphis Jug Band make their first records with producer Ralph Peer on a revolutionary portable recording machine, creating the first recordings of R&B and country songs.

May 23
    Blood and Soil (56 min)
    Travel to the rural South as Elder Burch, Charley Patton and others record early Delta blues, gospel and protest songs. The Great Flood of 1927 devastates Mississippi River communities, leading to northern migration and Chicago Blues by Howlin' Wolf.

May 30
    Out of the Many, The One (1 hour 26 min)
    Discover how America's diverse cultures contribute to its musical styles: from the Hopi tribe to Hawaii's Joseph Kekuku to Mexican-American Lydia Mendoza and the Cajun Breaux Family. Mississippi John Hurt's blues inspires a generation of musicians.

JRM and Lucretius like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.