American Idol To End Next Season

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Texastoyz, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

It can stay on forever, or disappear tomorrow. I won't lose sleep, either way.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Actually, this 2015-2016 season is the final season

3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

And heavens opened and the bain of music industry is coming to a end.
    Permanent damage ? most definitely every idiot thinks they can be a star.
    Example: William Hung.

driverdrummer and audiomixer like this.
  4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Was it on that long? I had no idea. Never watched a single episode.

5. zen

zen Senior Member

Lucky guy. I only saw a small number of episodes (mainly when Steven Tyler judged).

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  6. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

Terrible show the last 3 years. When Simon left, that was the end of the show. Since then, there has not been one good judge and I can't remember a winner in the last 5 years. Now irrelevant.

7. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

As I've never watched a single minute of this show during the entire run, it really has no impact on my existence. However, I think the show being cancelled is probably a good thing for humanity in general so I'm all for it ending. :laugh:

blind_melon1 likes this.
  8. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

The show has been dying for several years. I am surprised that it lasted as long as it did. The last watchable season is the one in which Phillip Phillips won--he was not the only good singer that year. Since then the contestants have been quite uninspiring.

I remember that when Phillip Phillips won, quite a few people talked about it out in public in the week that followed--should he have won, should one of the other good singers have won instead?

That seems impossible to contemplate about the groups of singers in the years that followed. The show lost its "talk around the water cooler" appeal.

applebonkerz and Vidiot like this.
  9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I don't get the celebration. Who was being forced to watch this? I haven't watched it in years cause I simply got tired of it. Big deal. This news means nothing to me. I'll watch The Voice for a few minutes at a time once in awhile when my wife has it on. Pretty generic talent that no one will ever hear from again that the judges praise like they're the second coming. Once again, my choice to watch or not watch it though.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

At long last, our national nightmare is over.

11. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Very odd responses - that there are those (on a music discussion board, no less) who seem to feel that there is not only virtue in their ignorance of the topic at hand, but some value in their public proclamation of ignorance.

The show presented live music performed by young singers, often with more ambition than talent, but who were unquestionably dedicated to their craft. I mean really, just what do people who patronize music discussions want on network TV... less music?

For some reason, the show did decline in general quality the last few years, but there were always a handful of genuinely memorable moments and at its best, the show presented some really good pop music.

I assume that those who never watched it will be comforted in its absence. The rest of us will find, to some degree, a television landscape less musical, less spontaneous, and altogether less interesting.

Hot Ptah and Texastoyz like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my wife was a hue fan and jumped ship years ago...I'm surprised it lasted this long, but ppl seem to love this stuff.

13. Michael

but a pleasure to many...don't worry they'll come up with something just as bad! It's inevitable in TVland!

14. Michael

that was the beginning of the end! LOL!

driverdrummer likes this.
  15. Hot Ptah

Even in 2012, I heard spirited talk in dentist's offices and other public places about American Idol and whether Phillip Phillips should win or whether talented women singers in that season were not getting the votes that their talent deserved.

But after that, American Idol no longer seemed to be a topic of common conversation. I wonder if the 2013 judges, Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj, Keith Urban and Randy Jackson, made the show so much less fun to watch for so many people that the death spiral started then in earnest.

16. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The latest season was horrible-the contestants were complete brats.

17. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, American Idol.

junk likes this.
  18. Hot Ptah

I think that William Hung has very little to nothing to do with the state of American Idol in the past seven or so years. It became a very different show after that. For one thing, the show really cut back significantly on showing poor initial auditions, for the comedy value. There has been almost none of that for years now.

19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Agreed. For one, the show is no longer new and exciting. It's run its course and has given no break out stars since lambert and Phillips who aren't exactly 20 year hitmakers. The awkward rotation of judges since Simon left didn't help either.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  20. Hot Ptah

I have often been curious about this phenomenon. It happens not just on this board, but on several other online music boards which I read regularly. Quite often an album, a film, or the complete output of a music or film artist will be discussed, and several members will provide very strong negative comments while stating that they have never heard the music or seen the film in question.

These members just "know" that the topic at hand is no good, whether it is an album, a film, a TV show, or the complete output of an artist, even though the members have never been exposed to it. I always scratch my head about that.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  21. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I watched season 5 with my Mom, she was 93 at the time. We enjoyed watching it together, that was a good memory. (Taylor Hicks, Katharine McPhee, Kellie Pickler...)
    Other than that season, I don't think I've ever watched an episode.
    It's not for everyone, but what tv show is? It's clean family entertainment, and I know people who don't have cable and watch it regularly.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Tell me when it's over...

23. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

What's American Idol ?

David Campbell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.