Americana Lovers, Unite!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RandyB1961, Jun 24, 2015.

1. RandyB1961

RandyB1961 Go Dawgs! Thread Starter

Listened to this a few days ago on NPR First Listen and REALLY enjoyed it.

2. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Oh, man, this is great! The opening sounds almost like the Gin Blossoms. Then you get those Cross Canadian Ragweed sounding vocals, with Wallsflowers-esque playing throughout.

Fine, fine roots rock.

RandyB1961 likes this.
  3. Scopitone

4. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Any Heartless Bastards fans here? Erika Wennerstrom's new solo record is fantastic, easily my favorite so far this year.

zphage and JL6161 like this.
  5. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

Whiskey in the Pines:

6. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

Brent Cobb:

7. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

jmj190 likes this.
  8. Scopitone

On my third listen in a row for this time.

"I'm drinking water tonight cuz i drank all the whiskey this morning"

JL6161, jeffgt14, Ernest T and 3 others like this.
  9. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

New album from Milk Carton Kids coming soon.

JL6161 and MRT like this.
  10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The Underhill Family Orchestra! Just popped up on Apple Music's New Releases and I'm really enjoying it. "Tell Me That You Love Me" is the album title. Just started listening but Oak Holler and When the Trumpets Sound are fantastic.

11. RandyB1961

Man, I'm really starting to get into these guys.

EDIT: I've watched this video at least 20 times, and I just now noticed that the bass player got a haircut between takes; his hair is much shorter in some scenes than in others.

Subvet likes this.
  12. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Here's another one by The Dead South

RandyB1961 likes this.
  13. RandyB1961

Yeah, I REALLY like these guys.

Subvet likes this.
  14. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

The new Jackson Emmer album, Jukebox, is delightful:

vinylsolution likes this.
  15. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

And another:

16. RandyB1961

My boss just introduced me to this awesome jamgrass band. He saw them last weekend when they played his niece's hippy marijuana wedding.

budwhite likes this.
  17. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

I just received my vinyl copy of "Remember What You Knew Before" by Katy Guillen & The Girls. I saw them on DittyTV so they must be Americana. This one seems like Rock to me though.

zphage likes this.
  18. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

3 years later, a little more than 1 year after his death comes "Peace Town". 2 discs of excellence. I got 'em all and won't pick a favorite.

19. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

No wonder the music is so good, what with livin' in sin and all.

20. I've felt that most terms used to define a certain "type" of music are pretty meaningless. Yes, it defines certain aspects of an era or an artists influence but I find that the definition can, by itself, limit the audience. Good music is good music regardless of the label. I wouldn't call, for example, Elvis Costello "New Wave" any longer (not that he was really part of that anyway) anymore than I would call him "Americana" now because of the areas he likes to try out.

John Hiatt fits in well with Bonnie Raitt who fits in well with Elvis Costello now who fits in well with ___________.

doublenaught likes this.
  21. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I think it can define a type of music, but an artist doesn't necessarily have to remain within that genre. And so you can place albums of Elvis Costello within various genres.

Wilco may have started out alt-country but they didn't stay there, for instance (until they did again).

I don't like the Americana categorization because it just seems too big of an umbrella. It isn't helpful to me.

doublenaught likes this.
  22. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

I totally agree. There are so many categories of music (some of which I've never heard of before) on these forums it gets confusing. I'm not one who is obsessive about categorization. I can say that I like most of the music in this thread and have become aware of a lot of artists who were previously unknown to me.

23. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

To me, the Americana categorization is about perfect. If an artist is considered to be under that umbrella there is a very good chance that they are for me.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  24. I get a little scared when a music has to adhere to an orthodoxy. I assume Americana is a meeting ground for all American roots music and some, with a possible mature outlook, other than that it's all up for grabs.

melstapler likes this.
  25. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Hmm, I don't think it has to adhere to an orthodoxy. But a genre should mean something, should be a descriptor. If it goes outside of the genre...no problem. Just describe it that way.

But, yeah, you can a ton of stuff under Americana. And it seems many folks here like it that way and find it a useful term.

billnunan and zphage like this.