Amp Decision: Rogue or Yamaha - which amp brings the warmth?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Minty_fresh, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

What Yamaha are you referring to and compared to what ? I’ve been hearing this for 30 years and think it just gets repeated with no actual reference.

Bananas&blow, StimpyWan and lonelysea like this.
  2. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident Thread Starter

So would that mean that to attack that problem area impedance wise it’s just more wattage?

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I know you've ignored everything I typed but on the off-chance you'll give something I write some serious thought, I'd strongly recommend actually listening to both 4 and 8 ohms to make your own decision as opposed to taking a dealer's word for it.

F1nut and mike catucci like this.
  4. Minty_fresh

Not ignoring but not looking at replacing turntable and cart or speakers. My amplification is a weak point and when that’s sorted it makes:
    A) the current system be all it can be
    B) the rock for any future systems to be built on.

bajaed likes this.
  5. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Not wattage, current is the name of the game. A speaker will draw twice the current at 4 ohms than it will at 8 ohms. The current will double again for 2 ohms. So, a 100 watt solid state amp should deliver 200 watts into a 4 ohm load and 400 into a two ohm load. There are some amps even stable into 1 ohms. All it takes is a lot of iron. Big ass transformers. Unfortunately, big iron takes big bucks.

A cheap 100 watt AVR might be rated at 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, but not rated into lower loads. That is because they cheaped out on the transformer. The same receiver may only put out 50 watts into 4 ohms, and 25 watts into two ohms. A 50 watt amp with a massive power supply may be dropping 100 watts into 4 ohms, 200 watts into 2 ohms, and a few might be dropping 400 watts into 1 ohm. You cheap receiver will letting the smoke escape the cabinet into that load.

The Yamaha AS 2100 can damn near drive an M1 Abrams, I dont think you are going to have trouble with them driving small Focal bookshelfs. That amp can drive the stuff that costs more than a nice BMW.

I have actually heard a Rogue Cronus driving your speakers. It does just fine. Going to give you a review of the AS801, the amp I own and it is not at the same level as the AS2100. The reviewer actually used Apogee speakers and the 801 drove them fine. Those Apogees damn near needed an arc welder to drive them. If the 801 can do that, what makes you question its bigger brother.

6moons audioreviews: Yamaha AS-801

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  6. Minty_fresh

How about an 1100?

7. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I just updated my last post, reread it and read the link. The 1100 is the model in between the 2100 and the 801. Honestly, an AS301 would drive your Focals fine. The amps get more refined as you go up, but even the smallest would drive the crap out of those little 2 way Focals.

8. Minty_fresh

Ok thanks. I had a 501
    And wasn’t impressed. Someone told me later that Yammy’s need months of break in or something. To me it’s 85 watts felt gutless (and I want guts) but to be fair I had also radically changed the room position and didn’t consider that when I had it. I sent it back for the PM6005 which isn’t bad but i was more informed about room set up and such.

MyPM6005 isn’t bad but just doesn’t have the huevos to give these speakers some oomph.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Most of the Yamahas are on the bright side, by Japanese gear standards. Traditional Yamaha sound. I like it when I want that sound. I am not dissing it. It is a good bright sound.

10. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Think I get what you want. Here ya go....JBL - Everest DD67000 Tower Speakers (Pair) ]

These will give you that kick in the gut you are craving. :winkgrin:

missan likes this.
  11. Minty_fresh

In my 800 soft apartment. :goodie:

But in seriousness, my fear about the 1100 is that it will be gutless at low levels like the 501 I had before it

12. Helom

Helom Forum member

If you found the 501 was "gutless," you're not going to be all that impressed with any Yamaha amp IMO. I use an A-S500 to drive KEF LS50s (a challenging speaker) and it doesn't break a sweat. I suspect what you're really looking for is an amp that will accentuate the 100 to 500 Hz range, an amp that produces a greater sense of "body." The Parasound Halo or an upper-tier Marantz like the PM14S1 would likely be a better fit.

Minty_fresh likes this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

None of the amps mentioned here are going to perform any better at low levels, especially since the 501 has loudness compensation that the others don't have.

14. Minty_fresh

Not even the Rogue? I’d think being able to have pleasing bass and mid bass at say 65-75db would’ve be such a struggle.

15. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

No amp can turn those little 6 inch woofers into 12 inchers. Sorry, but I auditioned your speakers, and they sound fine. But, they arent going to ROCK if that is what you want.

Helom likes this.
  16. Helom

Helom Forum member

That's just the problem. Low efficiency, ported speakers don't like to produce bass at those volumes.

IanL likes this.
  17. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I think you my have what he needs. Heresys driven by tubes

18. Helom

Helom Forum member

He likes electronic music so would likely be dissatisfied with their bass extension.

An acoustic suspension speaker with a long-throw woofer would likely do the trick.

19. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Big woofer time. Maybe some reconditioned Advents

20. Strat-Mangler

In post #3, he was adamant that he wanted to keep those speakers no matter what. His options are either to buy a sub on top of the amp or to realize how important system-matching is and replace the appropriate gear to accomplish his goal of getting a "gutsy" sound at lower volume.

ThorensSme and Helom like this.
  21. Helom

Helom Forum member

You can lead a horse to water...

missan, ThorensSme and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Some folks just have to learn the hard way. Shame the hard way can cost some serious money.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Yep. The help and advice was put out there. Up to him to take it or continue to ignore it.

24. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Once again you appear to not know what you're talking about. Maybe you've been lulled by that dull, muted McIntosh sound for too long?

Bananas&blow and Jack Flannery like this.
  25. missan

missan Forum Resident

Seems to me some horse cannot even be lead to water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.