Amplifier suggestions for Harbeth?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Stereophile tested a SS Adcom 500 Watter and a huge Manley valve job in the late 80s
    Under identical parameters and blind tested, no one (apart from J Ives and M Fremer) could tell em apart
    The sample was 500 +, all audio enthusiasts.

jfeldt likes this.
  2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Really?

My experience with Alan is that he is NOT open to any other opinion other than his own. If it suits his needs he will go as far as removing posts that are contrary to his views.

Best speaker I have heard for the money, no contest. Perfect match with the LFD and not quite an issue with power that can be found with those lovely low power tube amps.

ogdens_sliced and raferx like this.
  3. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

I think Alan was blind testing amps at Bristol Hifi Show last week
    Any one go ?

4. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I tried a Marantz Integrated (40-50 watts I believe) and it was pretty good. Then I tried (and purchased) a Luxman L505U 100W integrated on my Harbeth 7es3s. That amp really seemed to grab the speakers. Very controlled and with a sense of ease when driving the Harbeths...

Snashforce likes this.
  5. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

6. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

I’m also on that forum, and I’m definitely not one who had a problem with your amp choice. I’m a musician, so I’m always happy to see listeners enjoying music, and making equipment choices to get closer to music. Although I’m in the SS/more power camp - how someone at home achieves that musical connection, is up to them.

I have a feeling Alan has a lot of knowledge and experience with amplifiers - he’s been designing excellent sounding speakers for a long time now, and there’s no way a speaker designer can achieve the quality of sound that he does, without an in-depth understanding of how amplifiers work. He just has a view that he’s developed from his experience, and he sticks to it - no big deal...

Rolltide and Art K like this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

"Yes he's generally not interested in opinions, does he remove posts that are opinions and not steeped in any factual data, yes and it says so when you agree participate. Keep in mind one has to separate fact from opinion when trying to understand what he is saying. He is interested primarily in the facts or repeatable experiments. If your goals is to figure out if amps sound different it makes little sense to compare models at various sound levels, in various settings, at various times, with various speakers and other associated equipment. Under those conditions of course they would sound different, it proves nothing, the listener gains no real insight into anything. But those are the conditions that most people use to make purchasing decisions, and also to communicate to others -- to me that is not meaningful or informative. It might be interesting and fun but meaningless from a factual perspective. That's why he is so dismissive of opinions. Too many uncontrolled variables, it's garbage in garbage out. Here's a hypothesis: improper comparisons lead to confusion, fear and doubt in the consumers mind resulting directly in obsession and needless merry go round purchases of equipment".

A Forum is ALL ABOUT OPINIONS. As I always say here, it's a Forum not a pulpit". They should just remove it.

jfeldt, Jtycho, Rolltide and 2 others like this.
  8. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

yeah well that's just like your opinion man

9. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

10. norman_frappe

I read that whole saga but to be fair he had to have known that would happen, and he might have actually gotten the dealer he got the amp from in some hot water with Harbeth, Alan seemed pretty pissed that a Harbeth dealer would suggest such a pairing. He specifically violated the ground rules of the user group. It's no different when people post about politics or religion or other taboo things here. I've learned a great deal from Alan and he is a genuinely helpful and good guy if just like here you follow his ground rules. Does he approach things form a different angle, yes. Can knowledge and different ideas hurt you? I would say no, in fact you might find your enjoyment of hifi and music in general enriched by an opposing viewpoint. That's why I am here, to read and think about views I question or outright disagree with and challenge my biases and confirm my beliefs and understanding.

jupiterboy and Jtycho like this.
  11. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Don't be afraid of Alan or his cronies over on HUG. It's just Hi fi man.

12. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

I hear you. But I don't feel there's much of a point to debate or even just state your opinion over there, their position is set.

raferx likes this.
  13. raferx

OMG... please.
    Nobody got in trouble.
    My dealer plays me the amplifiers I want to demo and AS is going to do what exactly? Somehow browbeat them? LOL.
    For the record, I posted on HUG fully expecting that there would be discussion, not a wholesale hack job.
    It was a farce and made HUG look Draconian.
    If you disagree with Alan on HUG, you end up like Stalin's detractors... just edited out of (browser) history.
    Alan's a businessman. He want's everything on message.

jfeldt and Gordon Johnson like this.
  14. raferx

I tried, no one can fault for me for attempting to have a civilized discussion.
    That's why I agree with Steve, (if I read him correctly) it's not really a forum.

15. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

No, it's not a true forum as I see it. That said I love the idea of Shaw's ideas. Cheap amps and cables, plant stands get the job done, and no need to break in anything at all. If we could prove all of these things to be true it would be a great (though boring) day for hifi.

16. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Nothing worse than cronies. Toadies, maybe.

norman_frappe likes this.
  17. norman_frappe

That's correct it's not a form it's an objectivist user group. Unless you can present data and facts to back you up your subjective opinions will be tossed out or as we have seen ridiculed. If you believe your 2 W amp sounds better it is up to you to objectively prove it using sound scientific methods. If you can do that your view will be considered there. If you can't it's just an opinion and is outside the desired content and mission of the group. It's basically the antithesis of this forum.

Matti Saari likes this.
  18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Agreed. I can deal with stoolies, lackeys, and minions, but a man's got to say enough is enough at some point.

jupiterboy likes this.
  19. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Sounds all so smart. But I'm curious, why don't they delete all of those posts of people subjectively praising Harbeth? Shouldn't Mr. Shaw demand that users scientifically back up their claims that Harbeth's sound great?

raferx likes this.
  20. norman_frappe

I think you should join and ask him that question. It's a legitimate one.

raferx and Jtycho like this.
  21. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Ha I best not. A user group only filled with measurement data would be awfully boring.

norman_frappe likes this.
  22. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Is his sole criteria frequency response and impedance?

23. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

This forum is not immune to love of Audio Note UK
    Some question its validity and provenence

24. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

true, but if i posted a disparaging remark, subjective or objectively based about AN it wouldn't be removed.

provenance [with an a] really is questionable regard AN btw! that changes nothing about how the product sounds.

alan has taken an old speaker design and tweeked the crossover, nothing overly new just updated an old fashioned speaker that was designed and built way before he had bought up the company. great speaker back then, great speaker today.

25. raferx

Good question...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.