Amy Winehouse's legacy as an artist- what is it now; one year after her death?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Here we are, nearly at the one year anniversary of Amy Winehouse's unfortunate death at the far too young age of 27 on July 23rd, 2011.

At the time of her death, there was a very long thread here that I wanted to link to because I decided to re-visit it myself:

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=257695

Some said her legacy was now firmly cemented with her previous chart success and early demise despite her flaws.

Others said that she was a clearly talent, but not someone who would have a legacy or be remembered as fondly or in the same way as other singers who had joined "The 27 Club" or otherwise died early.

So, now that we are one year removed from her death and all the controversy surrounding it and the last years of her life, where do you stand? Has your opinion changed one way or the other in the last year?

Or do you think it is still too early to make a judgement call on what her real place in music history will be in the years and decades to come?

For your reference, here is her complete discography complete with worldwide chart positions for all of her albums and singles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Winehouse_discography

2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

It is a damn shame, is what it is. A waste of talent and life. We've lost a lot of talented artists before their time... But this one p*ssed me off. Everybody knew the girl had issues and nobody stopped her from killing herself.

We'll never actually know what her legacy could have been.

Remembered fondly? Hell I'll remember her as long as I'm listening to music.

3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I can't believe it's been a year already! Seems like it just happened a few months ago...

4. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

Frank was certainly a record to pique one's interest, but Back to Black was simply brilliant. Unfortunately her recorded legacy is too brief to make sweeping assessments of. Even Janis Joplin with 3 (arguably 4) LPs seems to have a larger legacy. She had the voice, the talent and the vision but unlike so many artists that did all that she did and made it through, Winehouse was swallowed up by her demons. The fact that the paparazzi followed her day and night (unlike, say, Esther Phillips or even Sassy) couldn't have helped. One perfect LP, one tragic life. Somewhat off topic, SHF femmes that are so inclined should check out the clothing line she designed for Fred Perry shortly before her death. It's probably long sold out but it looked pretty hip.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  5. Right now, I think her legacy is as a spectacular drug abuser. Like Janis Joplin, she didn't leave a whole lot of recordings behind, but what she had done was popular. Unlike Janis, she didn't have the benefit of riding a large cultural movement that helped cement her popularity.

At some point, I think there will be a critical re-assessement of her singing on its own terms. There, she showed a lot of promise but was never really a fully developed artist. The second album was really good, but it was really Mark Ronson's sound that made it that way. Put it this way: if I were going to assign credit for the success of the second album, it would be about 70% Ronson, 30% Winehouse.

6. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I think it's too short after that tragic event to say anything about any lasting legacy. The connection with 'popularity' (chart positions) don't mean much.

7. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

For what it's worth, all I see when I'm in her local area of Camden is what you'd expect: tacky bootleg Amy clothing for sale everywhere, market stall traders playing her songs to attract culture-tourists. So her legacy as a money-maker for scavengers is sadly assured.

Fullbug likes this.
  8. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

Superb Music and a fine live performer .. I'll remember her when I hear her music, sadly Its just a pity the recordings themselves are so bad. Back to Black is a disgrace.

9. voigtskins

voigtskins Member

I just purchased the Back To Black 2 disc cd and the second disc is just as great as the original disc.She was a GREAT talent but gave in to her DEAMONS which killed her far to young.It is too bad that her frinds and family could not reach her in time but she lived her life the way SHE wanted and in the end she paid a huge price.Amy was a FANTASTIC talent who was just stating to shine.

10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It's way too early to determine her ultimate impact. Musically she had her moments but her personal life was a trainwreck. Her duet with Tony Bennett on "Body and Soul" showed beauty and promise.

11. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Funny you should mention that duet with Tony, as I happen to think that she does not articulate particularly well and made a mess of her lines!

12. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I think it will take at least 10 years time to find out, whether and how she is remembered.
    The problem of recent celebrities is the amount of news you get everyday, which makes many artists appear bigger or more important than they really are. Not a day goes by in Germany (!) that some media reports the latest gossip on some "Lindsay Lohan". You get the impression, she must be a big actress or singer - but I can't see anything like that.

Amy Winehouse had some good songs, but it was mainly the daily news in the media about her chaotic life, that made her probably bigger than she really was. And if the memory of that fades away we will find out, if the music will be remembered.

13. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

@Helmut, entertainment is big business and apparently we all need trainwrecks to tell us that not all is glitter and gold, this is about making money on celebs and their downfall. I like Back to Black (plus Valerie) a lot and I like the fact that the Daptone label and musicians got some exposure through that. On the basis of one great LP there is not much of a legacy, methinks!

14. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I think she's somewhat overshadowed by Adele, even tho Adele is quite different.

For me, Amy is too much unrealized potential which is frustrating. She doesn't really have much of a recorded legacy to stand as one of the all time greats, even if Back To Black was superb.

15. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

I think the music industry was hoping for her dead. Good for sales. It's rude, but that's the reality.

I think her parents tried to make her stop, but how can you control your daughter if she earns millions of Pounds. Even parents who live with their addicted children under the same roof can't control them.

If you see her "early pics" as an artist before her addiction. What a beautiful looking and intelligent lady. It's so painful ...

16. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

An incredible talent. Her album Frank demonstrated that and the iconic Back To Black sealed it. Her legacy should remain strong regardless of her immense personal issues and an all too brief career.

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

And I hear a horn, like Satchmo or Lady Day.

18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Her legacy will unfortunately be a reminder of what hard drugs and alcohol abuse can do to any person, despite their talents. Musically, she didn't last long enough or release enough material to have any legacy either way. Just a sad and sorry footnote of another person of what might have been. Arnie

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I am not much of a fan but I always admired her. A terrible, terrible shame that she didn't get the chance to really get to grips with her music and churn out a long series of albums.

20. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Her legacy is exactly what she was: one of the finest interpreters of song the U.K. produced in decades. Nobody can take that away from her.

Not even the tabolid posters here who seem focused on her lifestyle, or what they imagine it to be.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

When she passed I was not a fan. But over time a friend had a copy of the Lioness CD and I liked it. I now have that and Back To Black and enjoy them. I love the sound and the concept.

Unfortunately, I don't think she has much of a legacy. She was noted more for her drug/alcohol use then her music. 'Rehab' pretty much nailed it.

It's a shame.

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Amy Amy Amy

Listening to "Frank" right now. That's her legacy for me, her albums (few as they are). There's a concert on tv tonight that I will watch.

Can't believe it's a year already.

23. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

24. Burt French

Burt French New Member

She had some incredible opportunities that were just plain wasted. SO many musicians/artists/players/performers would love to have all the open doors and attention that she had. She was too immature to handle her fame and it consumed her.
    As far as her talent is concerned, I don't think people will remember her for her innate abilities. She will be remembered as a high profile crash and burn.
    Personally, I never got why people thought she was such an amazing singer. I thought her material was pretty derivative and her phrasing and tone were quite weak. I feel that she got a lot of mileage out of her 'image' and tabloid shenanigans.

25. zen

zen Senior Member

Her legacy is still going strong according to Sarah Swongin (at Culture Music):

Amy Winehouse, the R&B and jazz singer famous for the autobiographical song “Rehab,” died of alcohol poisoning a year ago from Monday.

While controversial for drug abuse and mental illness during her life, Winehouse was a critically acclaimed musical artist who fearlessly paved the way for eccentric female talents like Lady Gaga, vocal powerhouses like Adele and Duffy, and reinvigorated an authentic jazz, soul, and R&B sound. Winehouse has become even more widely celebrated in her posthumous career.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Personally, I think it's way too soon to know what Amy's legacy might be. Perhaps bringing back the beehive hairstyle?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.