An album track or obscure song from the past that takes you right back.. Bee Gees "Please Read Me."

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I had the DCC Bee Gees (unissued) comp on in the car yesterday and PLEASE READ ME came on and took me right back to 1967 in a flash (hadn't heard it in a long time and forgot it was even on the disk). My little buddy in 1967 was Chuck Ward and he had the first Bee Gees album (not sure why, he was not a giant music freak like I was) and I remember sitting and listening to it on his parents' giant Magnavox stereo console. 14 songs was a lot for a US album then and all the songs were good. When PLEASE READ ME came on I remember thinking that they were really going for a Beatles sound. Then we had hot dogs for lunch. This was late 1967 and hearing the song yesterday brought it all back, even the hot dog. Chuck's mom worked at JUDY'S in Topanga Plaza and she would often bring home LPs that she got for cost at Monty Wards (about two bucks). I guess the Bee Gees was one of them.

Last night I heard my eleven year old boy singing softly to himself (while playing on his iPad): "Please read me-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee.." He only heard it once so it must have made an impression on him as well.

What about you? Any obscure song from the past take you back?

2. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Forum Resident

I don't know how obscure any of the songs are (especially 'round here), but so many of the tracks on the first few volumes of Rhino's "Have a Nice Day" series ALWAYS bring me back to late 1970- early '71. It was when, as a ten year old, I started seriously listening to the radio (WABC!) and wanted to know more and more about "my" music and the people who created it. "I'll Be There" by the Jackson 5 was climbing to # 1 at the time (followed - or following - Diana Ross's "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" ) and whenever I hear those I can envision getting ready for fifth grade, walking to school, my neighborhood, my little brother, my buddies, a girl whom I had a crush on, thinking about what was on TV that night... It's amazing what it all brings back.

3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Hits, yes, but not album tracks and obscure cuts.

4. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

I am getting some Beach Boys Pet Sounds vibe from this.....more than Beatles.

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  5. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

For me? I am a Rock by Simon & Garfunkel. Not so obscure but I randomly heard it the other day and I instantly had a flashback to 68(?) playing with my Hot Wheels cars while this tune came out of a AM radio. Weird

6. Thousands of songs, but in this category, I nominate :

Young Rascals - It's Wonderful

The Cyrkle - Turn Down Day

Youngbloods- Sunlight

Creedence - Tombstone Shadow

7. One of my fave Brothers Gibb songs, Nina Simone does a nice version of it too.

8. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Two guilty pleasures...

Wildfire by Michael Murphy & How long by Ace.

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

This was used as the theme song to the TV show 'Follyfoot' in the early 70s. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it made the charts, too. I heard the song recently and it took me back to racing home from school to catch the show. It was one of those lovely, gentle series that seemed quite common back then. 'Follyfoot' was definitely a 'girl's' show, but I didn't care about that!

The song is so catchy!

varitone likes this.
  10. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

"Susan's Tuba" Freddie and the Dreamers

11. glewes

glewes Forum Resident

You're Sixteen by Johnny Burnette. Takes me instantly back to high school and making pizza (out of a box) on evening babysitting dates with my steady girl of those days (yes, she was sixteen). I taped it off my folks radio onto a reel-to-reel, to have my own copy.

12. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Del Shannons "Handy Man" makes me eleven again. The album belonged to friends of my parents and sometimes when we visited it was on. Found a copy a while ago and when I listened fifty years just disappeared :)

13. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Since we're including hits now, Curtis Mayfield's "Freddie's Dead" reminds me of eating Royal Castle burgers as a kid. Seems like they were always playing that song when I went there. Man, I miss those burgers!

Paperback Writer likes this.
  14. timind

timind phorum rezident

Lazy Day off of On The Threshold Of A Dream by The Moody Blues. I heard this the other day in the car and was taken back to the spring of 1970. I was 16 so I won't comment on the activities, but gettin high was a huge part of it.

MONOLOVER likes this.
  15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That's my favorite song on that album. The wordless middle section with the layered harmonies takes me to another planet every time!

JeffMo likes this.
  16. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Comin' Home - DC5

Takes me immediately back to being 14, hanging with a pal and his g/f in the next town over, thinking how Beatley it sounded, and I just like the song as well.

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I'm confused...according to this thread you weren't able to get your hands on the Bee Gees material when with DCC.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-dcc-double-gold-almost-track-listing.101064/

"I tried to get a DCC Gold double CD of Bee Gees hits but the licensing was a nightmare plus finding a good quality tape on everything would have taken years unless we had hired Bill Inglot. Even then it might have taken years."

Did you get your hands on their tapes sometime after 2006?

The Hole Got Fixed and NaturalD like this.
  18. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

My oldest brother was a huge music fan with a sweet soul.Even though there was a big age difference between us we were really close and I learned all of the 60s bands through him.He had them all.Moby Grape,Quicksilver Messenger Service,Canned Heat,BS&T,Ten Tears After, Jesse Colin Young etc.I can remember loaning him money to buy 'Disraeli Gears' at Garnicks in Lowell,Ma.when it came out(they used to call me Milburn Drysdale).We had a garage with a stereo and pool table where the neighborhood would hang out.Yes,we were that family.I honestly do not remember when there wasn't music playing when I was growing up.
    When my brother got very sick a few years ago,we were sitting on his porch one night when I finally came clean. With my tail between my legs I said "you know that was me who scratched and got fingerprints all over your albums?"He said "aww jerry,its alright".The way he said...it still raises the hair on my back when I think about it today.
    I picked up a used cd last week called 'Golden Age Of Underground Radio'.It has a lot of those great bands on it.When 'Darkness,Darkness' by the Youngbloods came on,followed by Ten Years After and Canned Heat jumping out of the speakers,it brought me right back to the old garage playing his albums again.
    By the way,nice job on that Steve.

JeffMo and Paperback Writer like this.
  19. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I agree! I remember "Follyfoot" being shown on Norwegian TV in the 70s, and though I was not that much of a fan, it was pretty much compulsory viewing back then. I did not recognize the song, but I liked it. I tried to find a CD including this track, but I drew a blank. Do you, Sir Bobby, happen to know whether it was ever released on CD?

20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I've no idea if it's on CD. It's on Spotify, if that helps? I used to love shows like this. Catweazle was another. The Kids From 47A. Here Come The Double Deckers. Great early 70s kids shows.

EDIT. Had a look on Amazon UK. Can't see a CD version. It's available as a download, though.

21. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Thanks. :wave:

22. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

"That's Heaven To Me" Bobby Womack. For some reason when I hear this I remember my mother and grandmother riding around looking for presents for my grandfather's birthday. I was about 7 or 8, for some reason my grandmother and grandfather were getting along and we all cared enough to get him presents. This had to be 1976 or so...

Anyway we were going to the local shops and hearing that song (or thinking about it) I can see how everything looked then in the area before it became a place for tourists. And just thinking about this I remember someone was having a bake sale in front of the old drug store. Weird that I would remember that but a few years later, everything "changed" in the area. In a way a lot did, I never remembered my grandfather's birthday being such a big occasion again and sadly we drifted a little year by year...

spindly likes this.
  23. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Two songs from 1966:
    God Only Knows & Sunny Afternoon

The memory of listening to WQXI-AM in Atlanta while my Dad drove us home after an Atlanta Braves baseball game (I was 14). Good times!

Paperback Writer likes this.
  24. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

"Summer In The City" does it for me, takes me right back to summer 1966.

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Unissued Bee Gees DCC comp! Are you kidding me???????????????????
    BTW, Jimi Hendrix was a big fan of Bee Gees 1st too.

Different Gibb era but my nine year old was singing along to the SNF songs while playing legos a couple weeks ago!

Recently heard MJ's "The Lady In My Life", one of the few non-hits off Thriller, and it really took me back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.