An old jazz album I like: The Music Of Bob Cooper, 1957, Contemporary Roy DuNann engineered classic

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Coop.jpg Jazz lovers, an underrated gem, "The Music Of Bob Cooper", his only solo album for Contemporary Records. Produced by Lester Koenig and recorded by Roy DuNann in the stock room on Melrose Place, August, 1957, it features Mel Lewis, Vic Feldman, Lou Levy, Pete & Conte Candoli, Frankie Rosolino, etc.

One of the BEST SOUNDING albums ever recorded in that era, find the cheap old OJC (Original Jazz Classics) CD or OJC LP for a few bucks used. West Coast Jazz at its best, not everyone's cup of tea but for those who dig this sound, grab this. AllMusic Jazz expert Scott Yanow even loves this and he's hard to please.

2. Jeffrey_T

Jeffrey_T Active Member

It's gotta be great with a cover like that :D

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  3. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Coop was great. Very underrated sax/oboe player (and arranger). His wife was ok too.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

My British Vogue copy is one of the Jazz LPs I currently have on display rather than filed away, I think it's a great cover.

juanmanuel likes this.
  5. Yes, that cover is brilliant!

juanmanuel and kt66brooklyn like this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

Those of you who collect vinyl, the 1980's OJC vinyl reissues of the Contemporary stuff were mastered from the ANALOG two-track session masters and for the most part sound wonderful. They are an inexpensive way to get these on vinyl.

The OJC CD's are great as well.

7. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I gather the OJC reissues are stereo then, while the original on Contemporary was mono only? I'll keep my eye out for this one.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Contemporary released their stereo stuff in stereo originally, both on open reel and later (1958 and after) on LP. I have a bunch, true stereo.

kt66brooklyn and shutdown66 like this.
  9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The pre-OJC/pre-Fantasy Contemporary reissues are quite good too! I have the three Hampton Hawes "All Night Sessions" LPs that were I guess pressed in the '70s, and they sound just dandy.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Many OJC CDs aren't as cheap as they used to be. This particular one is now $14 plus change used and a whopping $148 new on Amazon.com...

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wow, quiet a difference in the prices there...

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont have LP or the OJC CD but this sounds pretty decent. Sounds like a nicely recorded album even from this clip...

13. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I just got a black label (original stereo) Contemporary LP (Shelly Manne's My Fair Lady) and the sound quality is off the charts. It may be one of the best sounding jazz records I have. Piano (that sounds like a real piano), bass, drums, all clearly delineated in a 3D space, wow! Hard to believe this was recorded in the 50s. Nothing to complain about with the OJC, but the black label is quite superior.

14. Steve Hoffman

Less dynamic than the recut but more "believable" instrument tonality.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  15. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Just found this on OJC vinyl. Love it musically. Typical DuNann magic. Super transparent, dynamic and clean.

I wish AP would do a Contemporary Series.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

They never will. Just doesn't sell enough, sad to say.

juanmanuel and kt66brooklyn like this.
  17. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Roy DuNann was a wonderful engineer. Stereophile caught up with him some years ago and did a very nice interview for those interested. It is now posted on their website. It is sad that in both pop and classical we are mostly (no, not always) going backwards in terms of recording techniques.

mr. scratchy esq likes this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sad indeed. Michael Cuscuna said years ago that Capitol/EMI had aborted their excellent "West Coast Classics" series because it hardly sold.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

reopened

Farmer Mike likes this.
  20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I also have to admit it over here. Sigh.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  21. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

It's unfortunate that West Coast/Cool School jazz doesn't sell, there's some very nice stuff there Wish I'd bought more when it was available. An I say that as a guy who's mostly hard bop and soul jazz with a side of free.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  22. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Of course Analogue Productions had a series of 25 Contemporary 33rpm LP reissues mastered by Bernie Grundman all set to go, until Fantasy pulled the plug. I don't know the ins and outs of it but I wish Fantasy would let them do it - or if they don't like the idea of 33rpm let them issue them at 45rpm.

23. Steve Hoffman

Bob Cooper bump.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  24. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

25. Steve Hoffman

John Koenig sez:

Steve Hoffman, that is indeed the original cover photo, but not the original cover. The stereo Contemporarys has catalog numbers beginning with S7500. The monos had catalog numbers beginning with C3501. There were two catalog numbers for this title because it's from the era of double-invetorying of titles; the same titles were issued in both stereo and mono. There was no such thing as an original Contemporary cover with a catalog number C 75XX. Whoever did this didn't know. Also, the disc depicted, is also not original. From the label (the typeface and the small line of type above "RECORDS," and the rice-paper inner sleeve, it looks like a Japanese pressing mastered from a D-copy we sent our licensee there.

So this is the original issue cover:

230881792504.jpg

vinylsolution and J.A.W. like this.