An upgrade to the internal phonostage Marantz PM6006

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cal Cypher, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cal Cypher

Cal Cypher Forum Resident Thread Starter

These past couple of years I have been enjoying listening to (mainly) LP's on my (low budget) system.
    I own a debut carbon (ortofon 2M Blue) which I run through a Marantz PM6006. My speakers are a pair of Totem Mites which were a showroom model and I was able to buy cheap.

I know that, considering the price point, the internal phonostage of the pm6006 is generally well regarded but would adding an external phonostage (I am considering a Tube Box DS) beat what's inside the Marantz or would it be a sideways step considering that at the moment I can't spend more than give or take 600 euros (700 dollars) on the pre-amp?

(Or should I forget all about adding a preamp and save up for a more powerful amplifier?)

Thanks in advance.

2. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

I’m going through a similar decision and am probably going MoFi StudioPhono or Parks Budgie if I can find one. The other good option seems to be the Lounge MKIII. I don’t think you’re hurting yourself with the preamp first. Upgrade the amp later if you feel you’re underpowered.

Cal Cypher likes this.
  3. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

I added a Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II to my PM 6005 (at almost twice your budget) and the difference was remarkable. Much quieter, more refined soundstage, better attack and decay, more layered presentation. I wasn't particularly unhappy with the internal phono stage but I was surprised how much I was missing.

Haven't tried any stages at your price point but if you can find a used Lehmann (or the lower priced Black Cube) and perhaps upgrade your cartridge, you won't be disappointed.

Cal Cypher likes this.
  4. anothertribe

anothertribe Forum Resident

ProJect Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC) > Ortofon 2M Bronze > Lounge LCR MkIII > KAB RF-1 Subsonic Filter > Marantz PM-8005 > Kef LS50 … Never looked back, a very musical and engaging combination to my ears.

Cal Cypher likes this.
  5. Cal Cypher

Thanks for the replies folks!
    The Lehman is indeed above my budget, at least for now.
    On the other hand, given that here's really nothing inherently wrong with how my system sounds, I could save up for a while longer and make an upgrade that significantly improves it instead of just a little or (heaven forbid) a pricey sidestep.

I enjoy three dimensionality, soundstage, imaging a lot. Didn't know what these terms meant untill the day I got the Totem Mites. I came from a set of old Bose 201's that sounded atrocious and the difference really opened my ears up for good. Down the rabbithole I go i guess ...

DocBrown likes this.
  6. The Totem Mites are an awesome little speaker. I had a pair as part of a 2ch bedroom system and as rear channel speakers with Totem Staffs for a surround system.

Cal Cypher likes this.
  7. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

I think, given my respect for the Marantz internal, your budget is the bare minimum to improve on the phono stage. But lots of people around here swear by the Budgie and the Lounge.

The question I asked myself when buying a $1000+ phono stage was whether I was taking too much of a leap ahead of my amp and speakers. The answer was no, and I think you'll find the same. The Marantz/Totem combo will really shine with an upgraded analog front end. In my opinion.

Cal Cypher and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  8. Cal Cypher

This is what I take away from your friendly advice; I'm going to save up for a while longer to get a preamp that will be worth it if, no, not if, when, I get around to upgrading the turntable (probably a Rega P6 or something similar in quality) and possibly the amp (the totems like a bit more power than 50 watts I guess).

Untill then I will continue to enjoy what I have which doesn't sound bad by any means.

Also: curse the quality of those little Totems for pushing me down the rabbithole! Just kidding. What a journey...

9. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Sounds like a good strategy. In your place I would prioritize the turntable. When you get this up to the level of e.g. the P6, any future equipment change (amp, phono pre) will be so much more rewarding because your source is already great.

Cal Cypher and DocBrown like this.
  10. Cal Cypher

Sounds like a plan. So I have gone from a 600 euro upgrade to one which will cost me probably four times as much?
    The wife will be thrilled! I'm going to take my time with this one: by perseverance the snail reaches the ark.
    If I end up with an MC cartridge when I finally upgrade from the debut carbon (which with the 2M blue isn't as bad as some make it out to be, no hum issues to speak of here and a pleasant lively character ...) the phono amp upgrade will be a necessity as the PM6006's phonostage is MM only.
    So basically the suggested path is to take my time and enjoy what I have to save up for a decent turntable first, then the preamp, then, if need be, the amp?

G B Kuipers likes this.
  11. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Ha ha. Yes, the perils of this forum!

Cal Cypher and Carter DeVries like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.