Analogue Productions Prestige SACD Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by therockman, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I could not find a thread about this topic except this one, which is closed:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/analog-productions-prestige-series-now-shipping.291119/

Well anyway, I just got my first shipment of these Prestige SACDs, and they sound phenomenal. I chose the Mono series, and I love the sound and the titles. And the packaging is stellar, it is top notch all the way.

If there is another thread on the subject, it did not come up in the search.

JRM likes this.
  2. scottM

scottM Forum Resident

I have a few of the mono LP's (All Night Long, Coltrane) with another on the way (Flannagan Overseas). Wonderful recordings, great mono sound and beautiful packaging. These are no brainers. If you think you won't like mono, these are the recordings that will change your mind. Dig in.

razorball and JRM like this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Which did you get?

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The vinyl is top notch too.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

What titles did you receive? So they are releasing each title in stereo and mono (separately)? Are these titles packaged in mini-LP sleeves?

Thanks!

6. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

No. They have a mono series of 25 titles. After they finish, they will do the stereo series, but those are different titles. There will be 50 titles in all. It's all detailed under the Subscriptions link on the Acoustic Sounds website.

7. KeithH

Thanks. With all due respect to Rocky, I was thrown off by "I chose the mono series".

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The only "stereo" some of these albums were ever released in was fake; their covers bore the infamous line "electronically reprocessed for stereo". The originals were mono.

9. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

I just wish they'd finish one series before they start the next. I'm getting the AP Verve SACDs. That series isn't even half done yet, and it seems like it's been ages since the last few were released.

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I just found out a few days ago about this reissue program and I was instantly interested in Tommy Flanagan's Overseas and Coltrane. I've never owned either in any format so I'd be gettting new music with these reissues. +++

11. therockman

To address a few questions; there are two seperate series, stereo and Mono in the Prestige SACD series, each with unique titles. I chose Mono because these titles interested me the most. I received Hank Mobley, Mobley's Message and also Jackie McLean, 4 5 and 6. Both the Mono and stereo series are packaged in mini-LP sleeves, and they are gorgous. They are of a very high quality cardboard and printing, very nice all the way around. The sonics are superb. These discs are to die for, with very clear extended highs, nice organic, Monophonic-type dynamics, and a rich bottom end that never thumps, but is very present. Kevin Gray is doing both of these series, and he is doing a fine job. I will probably pick up a few of the stereo titles, but I have a subscription to the Mono series.

JRM likes this.
  12. therockman

There are four different Coltrane titles and four different Miles Davis titles in the Mono sereis; one of the reasons why I chose Mono over stereo.

13. KeithH

Thanks, Rocky. Good info. :)

I'm not a fan of mini-LP sleeves, but I'm glad to hear that they are well done in this series.

14. therockman

I also am a subsciber to the Verve SACD series, but I do like the way that they are mixing the shipments with different titles from different series. I am poor, (I work at Wal Mart), so the quantity that I am receiving sporadically fits my budget rather well.

bluemooze likes this.
  15. therockman

Yes Keith, these sleeves are very similar to the MFSL discs and are very well done. I kind of like this style of packaging. :wave:

16. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Jackie McLean's overly-sharp tone during his Prestige days isn't my favorite sound in Jazz so I will probably pass on that one but the Mobley.... hmmm.

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Agree - the Mobley is interesting.

18. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

any more feedback on how Mobley's Message sounds? Very interested in picking up that one...

19. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Agree with this-- McLean and Mobley were simply better on Blue Note. I've got the McLean in RBCD, and it's OK, but so, so distant in impact and significance from One Step Beyond, Let Freedom Ring, and Destination Out-- or even more conventional, hard-bop Blue Note dates like New Soil and Bluesnik.

Meanwhile, no Harold Land, no Gene Ammons.... It's a strange, strange way to represent the Prestige catalog. I'm happy to see the early Coltranes and Miles albums, but wow, is the rest of it hit-and-miss.

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Gene Ammons would be nice.

21. BillG

BillG Forum Resident

Still awaiting Mobley's Message and 4, 5, and 6, as I only recently subscribed. How are the newest three releases?

22. triple

triple Senior Member

Amen to that.

23. Randy S

Randy S Ibuprofen junkie In Memoriam

I'm waiting on some titles in the vinyl stereo Prestige series which I'm told won't begin until the mono series ends. They wouldn't give me a timetable though.

24. triple

triple Senior Member

25. therockman

I just got the last three yesterday, but I also got 5 Verve SACDs, so I will not listen to the new Presteige for a few days. Anyone else get them and listen yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.