"Andy Richter Controls The Universe--The Complete Series" DVD March 24th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Planbee, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie Thread Starter

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Cool!

They should add those handful episodes from his 2nd tv (the one where he's a detective) show that got canned, as a bonus feature. They were both great shows.

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I liked that one a lot...didn't have a chance, of course.

4. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

How come all the stories I read about Andy Richter only mention these 2 series-was "Quintuplets" that bad?

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Never heard of that one.

6. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

7. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I'm hoping that they also include the five un-aired episodes (Bully the Kid, Duh Dog, Final Fantasy, Charity Begins in Cellblock D and Saturday Early Evening Fever) in this package. They contain some of the best stuff in the series.

Cheers,
    Chris

8. Planbee

They are. Click on the TVShowsOnDVD link for a look at the back cover. It mentions including the unaired eps.

9. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Fantastic!!! :righton:

10. Planbee

11. runofthemill

runofthemill Forum Resident

Paget Brewster :love:

12. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

"Andy Barker, P.I." was scheduled to be issued on DVD this Spring, including several episodes that never aired and a nice set of extra features. Unfortunately, the company that was scheduled to release it basically went out of business. I suspect that after the current lease agreement runs out, another company will put this series out.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The shows look great. I was involved in the mastering on this HD project, and I think it looks better now than in the original network airing. Very funny show -- it deserved to be a success. Not brilliant, but better than 90% of the comedies out there.

14. Planbee

A reminder that the DVD is out this Tuesday...

15. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

I am soooo glad this is finally out, but since you were involved, maybe you can shed some light on two areas of concern that have arisen:

1. Why were the episodes left in the out-of-order sequence they were broadcast in and not sequenced in their proper order? "The Second Episode" as it was actually titled aired as the fourth show and introduced the two guys who are Andy's neighbors, but the DVD has them in the episode that is presented as the 2nd one but actually took place later. So when you get to the fourth ep on the DVD, they are introduced as new charecters, except he already interacted with them two eps back because of the out-of-sequence airings...and now DVD placement. Arggggh! There are a few other continuity issues as well. I know Gord of TVshowsonDVD contacted two people involved with the project a few months back to alert them to this potential issue, but either they weren't concerned or it was too far along as he never got a reply as far as I know. Doesn't anyone pay attention to this stuff at some point during the planning and production? Not Andy, not the show creator, no one suggested, "Uh, why don't we present these in proper order for continuity's sake?"

2. The review at DVDTalk mentions the packaging states there were some music substitutions. Any idea what? And of cour$e, we all know why thi$ wa$ done...:rolleyes:

Despite these issues, very glad it's finally out...:goodie:

16. Christobal

Christobal Forum Resident

I'm glad this is FINALLY available on DVD. Now, I get to fall in love with Wendy all over again. :)

C

17. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Off-hand, the only music that can recall outside of the stuff composed for the series (theme and incidental music) is At Last by Etta James. This plays the first time that Andy sees Wendy.

It's been a while since I've seen the series. Anybody else recall other tunes featured in the show?

Cheers,
    Chris

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Probably because the lowly execs in the home video department didn't care. I know we just worked on the shows by production order (which is buried in the copyright notice on the final title card at the end). A lot of the time, stuff like this gets thrown together and nobody at the studio has time to do any research. They figure, "eh, it's going in a boxed set, the actual order doesn't matter."

If it were up to me, I'd shoot documentaries with the creators, do commentaries on each show, reprint reviews on the show, provide production dates and original air dates, the whole deal. But that's me.

As far as I know, Richter himself wasn't involved when the shows were being remastered (in the summer of 2004) because he was already booked on a movie. I doubt if he made a lot on the DVD sales, but I'm sure he was glad it was released. I've worked on dozens of sitcoms that were much worse and had far fewer laughs.

Not a clue. I only heard production sound on the episodes I worked on and didn't hear the final mixes, since that was done as a separate step. I'm primarily a picture guy (in my day job).

19. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Just ordered the DVD. It was a GREAT show -- I almost PREFER brilliant shows that never get recognized and die prematurely. It keeps them small and unsullied by success. "Freaks & Geeks" and "My So Called Life" are two other similar gems that I am happy to own on DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.