Anna Calvi - 2018: Live Shows & New Album "Hunter" (August 31, 2018) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NightGoatToCairo, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You've got yourself some very accurate tracking, do you? :biglaugh:

dezz likes this.
  2. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Really looking forward to this, album should be here any day now. Over a month of sleeps till the gig though, so I don't think I'll start counting just yet. Will be my 4th time seeing her live - first time was Manchester Cathedral, against a carved wooden gothic screen backlit in red. Nobody spoke, nobody moved. She was electrifying to watch from start to finish.

wolfram likes this.
  3. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Received my signed copies (CD and vinyl) from Domino yesterday. I’ve listened twice so far and I’m loving it!

kees1954, wolfram and dezz like this.
  4. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Good to hear... Might be too early to ask but how would you say it compares to One Breath?

5. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

I’ll let your ears decide!

I played it again this afternoon. I think it’s a fantastic album. Awesome vocals (as always!) and excellent lyrics. The record is definitely worth the anticipation!

dezz likes this.
  6. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Thanks I guess I'll be finding out soon enough. Hoping tomorrow..

factory44 likes this.
  7. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

New album is great and mastered by Bernie Grundman - will be meeting her at Rough Trade next week!

kees1954 and englishbob like this.
  8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I have listened to the album about 3 times now and I like it a lot. Too early for me to say how it compares to her former albums yet, but I feel that over time it will grow on me just as much as they did.

dezz likes this.
  9. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Enjoying this a lot.

10. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

only played it once through so far but I can tell already (much like her first 2) that I'm really going to enjoy getting into this album. In all fairness though, I think the signed print is likely to stay inside the sleeve.

11. brownsound2112

Yeah, the signed print looks like something a crime scene photo...lol.

dezz likes this.
  12. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Played the album on Friday on Spotify, and I really liked it. Its the first time since the debut I've listened to her, and with "Hunter" its the first time I just didn't think "Jeff Buckley"

Will give it some more plays and may invest in the vinyl a bit later

13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

It arrived Friday, but I finally got a chance to listen today.
    I like it a lot, I think she's really growing as a songwriter.
    The red vinyl plays perfectly.

14. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

so I downloaded it today (available as MP3 and wav files) and for some odd reason it showed up in iTunes as a 2 disc set, with 5 tracks on each?

15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

One spin and I've got no idea what to make of it. Need more time. Apparently this is an album about gender roles, desire and sexuality???
    Now that print is really something, looks like it came from one of these medical books about rare and exotic skin conditions. No idea what visitors would think if they saw it framed on a wall.

dezz likes this.
  16. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

I'm starting to get it, I think... in places the music is strident, powerful and in-yer-face, elsewhere it is softer, more fluid and sensual. There's a neat and easy masc/fem analogy right there, but I think this album's about challenging that - to say why shouldn't a woman embrace her own power and be upfront, or a man be in touch with his softer, sensual side?

kees1954 likes this.
  17. stampie

stampie Forum Resident

Great show in Bristol last night - one of the best shows this year - not to be missed if she's coming to a town near you!

[​IMG]

18. brownsound2112

Quite enjoyed the show in Newcastle last week....but couldn't shake the feeling that PJ Harvey has been there and done that - and far more effectively and with better songs and playing...

19. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

I saw her last night and it was a really good concert. It sounded like a best of set list, with the best new tunes and her classic ones. Pretty, pretty, pretty good. It was a very small venue and i was very close from the stage. That was quite a show, with Anna Playing solos on her knees, while looking at fans in the eyes for long seconds. That was intense. Highly recommended.

DTK, kees1954, wolfram and 1 other person like this.
  20. wolfram

I saw her at the Berlin gig last night and it was fantastic. She really rocked. I've been waiting 5 years for her to come back here (I discovered her in 2014, one day after her last show in Berlin :realmad:) and it was well worth the wait. She's a great live performer.

But she's really gone full Rock Star by now (never go full Rock Star!). Lots of posturing on a foggy backlit stage while shredding her guitar. Nothing wrong with that, but she seemed so serious about it. At least St. Vincent does it with a big sense of self-irony. But whatever, I had a great time and will definitely see her again the next time she comes to town.

BTW, here's a pretty good recent concert clip:

DTK and kees1954 like this.
  21. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

Here is Anna's show in Paris last january, recorded for french TV

22. wolfram

Wow, that's great! Thanks a lot for posting it. And it's even the full show.

I'll be watching it later on the big screen.

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Anna could teach PJ quite a few guitar tricks...

kees1954 likes this.
  24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I only have her first, but that is about to be corrected. She’s quite a talent :cheers:

wolfram likes this.
  25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

This thread has prompted me to listen to S/T CD:edthumbs::cheers: