Another BMG sale

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Jan 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

BMG has a new year's resolution sale:

$7.99 each cd with NO SHipping/Handling

code: A3P1

(for those of you with something left in their pockets after the holidays!)

Donald

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for the tip. When I logged onto BMG's web site, I found an offer for 70% off all CDs, but shipping was not free. I added two two-disc sets and a single-disc to my cart. The subtotal for these three titles was $20 and change, but with shipping, it came to $32.54! BMG really rapes you on the shipping. Shipping on each two-disc set is a whopping $4.78! Yuck.

I then entered your promotion code and found that the same three titles would run me about $38. So, I am better off with the 70% off sale, but I hate spending so much on shipping. I'm just not going to order anything. :(

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

BMG is ok if you get in, fulfill your obligation, and get right out. you get 12 cd's for about $50.00. i just finished up a membership.

it is also better to join online than through their mailings, because you can choose from their whole inventory.

but, if you buy just one cd at their regular prices + shipping it throws off all of the savings.

keith is right, their shipping costs are outrageous. $11.16 to ship four cd's, and they shipped on 12/21 and i didn't get them until 12/31.

renny

p.s. plus, at this point, it was hard to find 12 things i wanted.

4. KeithH

I do buy from BMG and Columbia House once in awhile. When they have a sale like buy one, get two or three free, you can really clean up, even with shipping figured in.

5. Matt

Matt New Member

NEVER buy a CD from BMG at regular club price (except for the one time you have to in order to fulfill your club obligation). Either stick to really cheap sales with no regular price purchase requirement, or the clearance titles. Or, follow rjp's advice and get the hell out once you finish your requirements. Good lord, you'll end up paying over $20 for a single CD!

BTW, remember that Simpsons joke when Marge questions Homer about a bill? She's actually referring to some 976 calls on their phone bill, but Homer thinks she's talking about the CD club he joined.

"The first ten were a penny....THEN THEY JACKED UP THE PRICE!"

6. stereoptic

yes, the selection is often slim. However, you can get great prices on Box Sets. They make their profit on Shipping and "handling", but it's great to catch a sale around the holidays when you have to buy for teenagers and relatives (those that are into Top 40, AOR, or MOL)
    Donald

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

BMG's website is upfront about shipping and handling, even telling you how much your shipment total is per disc. I always manage to get it under this advertised $7.99 sale price.

One way to save a lot of money is to build up your shopping cart until a really great sale comes along (buy-one-get-three-free or unlimited-$2.99-with-purchase), and check out then.

BMG does have incredible prices on box sets, and stocks some stuff you may not expect (including limited edition runs from Verve and Blue Note).

8. KeithH

stereoptic said:

Absolutely. My fiancee bought me the Miles Davis The Complete Bitches Brew box set for Christmas for a mere $23.99. I know she bought it from BMG because she knew I was toying with buying it from them since it was so cheap. :)

Ron Stone said:

I was pleasanty surprised to receive the K2 CDs of Miles Davis Cookin' and the Creedence Clearwater Revival debut album from BMG. I also received Coltrane The Ultimate Blue Train from BMG instead of the regular version. I figured I would get the standard cheap versions of all three titles.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks...:)

10. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I keep putting CD's in my cart - waiting for their "buy one get unlimited for $1.99 each" - which works out to $5 per CD. I am now up to 30 CD's in my cart. They have these sales every 4 months - its the only time I buy. I figure the next such sale will be at the end of January.

11. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

CD clubs, particularly BMG, can be a great deal. I have noticed that they do constantly update their CD inventory, for example selling through older titles on dirt-cheap closeout when deleted (99 cents, for example) and make remastered and expanded versions available.
    They also carry some titles in print long, WAY long in print after being discontinued from regular production. Which makes it very worthwhile about checking out their on-line inventory.

Now, the big question--
    Are CD music service discs of "different" quality than those available in retail outlets? Some say yes, some say no.

Any opinions?

Paul

12. Michael

I believe they are currently identical. In the old vinyl day's it was a different story. I recently did a few A/B comparisons on BMG/Regular Issues and they were identical, same goes for Columbia house.

13. stereoptic

A few years ago BMG ran The Doors' box set (the one with all of the studio albums) for $32.00 (plus $18.00 S/H) This is the cheapest that I have ever seen it. They never had for that price again, and actually when I ordered it, it was back ordered for a long time. I guess they must have gotten an unprecendented demand for it. It's a nice box, nice booklet, LP style sleeves, a bonus disk of rarities (not that great IMO) (This was before I was aware of Steve's Gold Discs, but still a great price for all of the albums and packaging).

I also ordered The Clash on Broadway box set a while back, which unfortunately was sent to me without the lyric booklet. When I informed them, BMG sent me another box set - no charge, I didn't have to send the other one back, but that one was missing the lyrics booklet also!

14. KeithH

stereoptic, your experience with The Clash box set is interesting. A few months back, I received a copy of Diana Krall When I look in your eyes that came in a digipak with no booklet. I sent it back and bought a copy in a jewel case at a store. Besides the fact that the copy from BMG came with no booklet, I don't like digipaks. I have noticed that BMG sends digipak versions of discs that come in digipaks or jewel cases. I make sure to never order such titles from BMG now.

15. stereoptic

Interesting - I once ordered Tom Waits' Beuatiful Maladies which came in a digipak, but I didn't receive the booklet.

16. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

From my experience with BMG, they sometimes send jewel cases when the CD had come out in digipaks in stores. The Coltrane Atlantic remasters come to mind.

17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

This is a common occurance with BMG - no booklets in certain box sets and digipacks.

I purchased the Deluxe 2-CD set of James Brown "Live at The Apollo" from BMG since it was inexpensive and I got 2 free discs at the same time, and it was missing the booklet.

When I called them to tell them I wanted the booklet - they said they would send me a new 2-disc set and to keep the old one.

The new one came, again with no booklet. I called them again, and again they sent me ANOTHER copy - AGAIN with no booklet.

I gave up - kept one of the copies with no booklet (afterall it is the music that counts), and sold the other 2 copies as used to my local CD store that buys used CDs.

18. Michael

Anyone find any sound quality issues?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.