Another great song massacered in a commercial!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave D, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done! Thread Starter

But Steve, will they be disappointed when the song is not called Bar B Q, but Susie Q?

2. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I too, think the Applebee's ad is pretty tasteless. Somehow, I'm not bothered by the sale of music to make ads when the original composer makes a buck off of it (after all, In the words of Calvin Coolidge: "a fella has to eat."), but what really ticks me off is when the original artist (John Fogerty or The Beatles, for example) no longer has control of their music catalog and the new owner's treat the music as if it's something to make money with and damn the legacy of that music. Jacko should be ashamed for selling "Revolution" to Nike and Zaentz should be ashamed of selling out "Fortunate Son" to TH.

BTW artists have been selling their music to advertisers for a long time:
    the earliest one I can remember is Heinz Ketchup using Carly Simon's "Anticipation" waaaay back in the '70's.

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

And that ad was clever! :laugh:

4. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Hey, what about Zema using "Sexy thing" by heatwave?

5. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

How about Jonathan Richman's "Ice Cream Man" used in the Kohl's commerical's. I think it's a great ad, and it's going to make me seek out more of Jonathan Richman's work.

Now, if I hear Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" in anybody's ad I'm going to scream! Everybody and I mean everybody has been using it.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Ya know what? I'd rather hear a song on a Television commercial than a STOLEN SAMPLE on the radio...:)

7. hot_wax_man

hot_wax_man New Member

I thought that was by Hot Chocolate from Louisiana?

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You Sexy Thing is by Hot Chocolate.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Hot Chocolate, yes. Louisiana, no. They were a British group.

10. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member

I thought of what would be a hilarious juxtaposition-

Someone selling an erectile dysfunction cure and, wanting a hip, "jazzy" song for the ad, using "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones in the original vocal version.

11. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

Okay, here's one:

I just heard EVA by Jean Jacques Perrey on a weird commercial for Zelnorm(?) a prescription drug. It's just a bunch of women lifting up their shirts to show the writing on their stomachs. It doesn't work at all. The song is poorly edited and too low in the mix. Argh! What a lame commercial.

12. Mad Matt

Mad Matt New Member

I always thought that Shout (the laundry pre-wash stuff) could use Kiss's "Shout It Out Loud" to good effect. Oops, maybe Gene reads this... :)

-Matt

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I always thought they should use "Shout" by Tears for Fears. And I think they actually did, at some point.

"Shout! Shout! Shout the dirt out! These are the stains we can do without--come on!..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.