Another kind of Genesis reunion (idea)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CDmp3, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Perhaps we can just forget about Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins and Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford...they always seem to have one issue or another...how about a Genesis Music Tour with...

Ray Wilson - vox
    Steve Hackett -lead guitar
    Daryl Stuermer - bass - second guitar
    Chester Thomson - drums
    Roger King - keyboards

Anthony Philips is most welcome too - except he never tours

What do you think?

Just use your imagination

2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

If it were billed as a tribute, sure that'd be cool I'd definitely go see that at least for Chester, Daryl and most of all Steve!

Smartin62 and Damien DiAngelo like this.
  3. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sure...Genesis Alumini Tour

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

No.

Just...no.

walrus, Sean, Gorgon and 5 others like this.
  5. Agreed. And I don't think any of these guys want to incur the wrath of Tony and Mike.

6. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

They could call themselves Genesix.

izgoblin, Sean, duggan and 2 others like this.
  7. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

concur

if one has an itch

Go see a Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited live show if you want to "take a little trip back with father Tiresias"

Steve is the one carrying the old torch and simultaneously putting out great new music

anduandi, Hokeyboy, Sean and 10 others like this.
  8. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Well, if the players are up for it, why not? Wouldn't be any less valid than seeing, say, The Musical Box.

You could do that for any number of classic rock bands. Imagine, say, a Yes-related band of non-original alumni like Geoff Downes, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, maybe Steve Howe...

YES World: Official website for the Prog Rock band YES

marc with a c likes this.
  9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Pretty interesting idea

It reminds me the 21st Century Schizoid Band

But on vocals I prefer David Longdon from Big Big Train

His voice is much closer to Peter than Ray. Better vocal range and tone
    And he did work with Steve Hackett for the 2015 'Spectral Mornings' promo

:wave:

LivingForever and Jimbino like this.
  10. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Phil, Mike and Tony are all on excellent terms with one another. I think they just want to be retired as Genesis. Fair enough. There will never be a reunion tour with Peter Gabriel. He has not been in the group for over 40 years. I think they all still like one another, but they see no reason to reunite that lineup. It has not defined any of them for decades.

I'd love to see Steve Hackett's show if he comes near me. If Tony, Mike and Phil reunite as Genesis I will be AT that show no matter where it is. Nothing else will ever happen. :)

jacethecrowl and warewolf95 like this.
  11. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I'm not sure what the point would be--the only one of those guys who interests me is Hackett, and he already does a great tribute show.

anduandi likes this.
  12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's a better idea than most similar such suggestions. The personnel kind of makes sense, except for Daryl Steurmer on bass. That underutilizes his talents, which happened with Genesis when Rutherford played guitar live. Besides, if you get a chance to see DS's own band, they mix their own original material with Genesis and Phil songs anyway. A real treat to hear him do "Deep in the Motherlode" live.

In reality, Steve Hackett seems to be carrying the mantle anyway. He did those shows in Japan with Thompson, John Wetton and Ian McDonald. These days, obviously the Genesis Revisited. Nick Beggs - GREAT bassist and with Roger King, that's mostly what you're getting here anyway. Kind of surprised.that there hasn't been some type of interaction with Ray Wilson, but it may not be a fond memory for him.

Maestro63 and fishcane like this.
  13. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I would prefer this band to a Collins-Banks-Rutherford reunion.
    They would have a better setlist for sure AND Ray can sing all songs in the original key.

LivingForever and duggan like this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This is true. I think all but the hardcore Genesis fans regard the others as more peripheral figures, despite the contributions they made. Daryl has been touring in recent years, playing very good shows, but not drawing huge crowds. He will probably have a better gig when/if Phil Collins goes back on the road.

15. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

I would love to see Peter Gabriel team with Hackett and his band to do a tour of Genesis material. I would take that over a five-man lineup reunion any day.

Endymion likes this.
  16. dachada

dachada Senior Member

what about the two with One Man Genesis:

Jvalvano likes this.
  17. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing that. I love the arrangement of the medley. That is a labor of love.

18. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

The initial line up mentioned by the OP isn't really much more than a Steve Hackett solo show that has simply swapped out a few of the band members.

Obviously, there are those who prefer one era of the band's material over another, so "better" is a subjective thing, but I doubt folks would get all wound up over, say, Ace Frehley doing a solo tour of Kiss material with a band of hired musicians and look at it as a Kiss substitute. A Collins-Banks-Rutherford reunion would actually be a Genesis reunion, regardless of one's preferences regarding material.

mx20 likes this.
  19. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Then the band should be called Exodus, the next chapter.:D The new album should be called the sheep was sacrificed on Broadway. :righton:

duggan, kwadguy and sound chaser like this.
  20. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

In a recent interview Steve mentioned that he has been making attempts to talk with Peter about the possibility of an actual 5-man reunion. He wasn't making any promises; the whole issue is quite tentative at this point, but at least it's something. However, it seems fair to say that nothing other than a 5-man reunion would be a realistic expectation.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think a 5 man reunion is the least realistic expectation. Most realistic: Another touring go-round by the three man version.

22. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

...And Then There Were Six...

23. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I thought you said you wanted a Genesis reunion

24. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

They could call themselves

Trespassers
    Extrot
    Abascab