Another lost Beatles acetate up for auction

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

Yet again ! This time a 1963 acetate of WHAT GOES ON John Lennon on guitar & vocal. Being sold in online auction by Parlogram records on eBay on Sept 21st, ending Oct 1st.

They ( Parlogram) also said they will be posting an audio clip, much as the other companies did. With the recent auctions of Hello Mary Bee by Harrison & McCartney's step inside love in 64 for Cilla Black.

There were one or two others a year earlier, one was World Without Love ?

So for further info check either Wogblog, Parlogram page on Facebook or eBay for the actual Parlogram auction.

It's great all these 60's acetates are coming up, but sadly so far as I know, not one of the 4-5 recent songs have been made available to fans, beyond the very short clips.

Another interesting statement from Parlogram or Wogblog, the Beatles were slated to record What Goes On in early 63, perhaps the same day they did One after 909, but supposedly ran out of time.

The article also says Lennon's demo has different lyrics but doesn't specify beyond that. If I remember correctly this is another of the actual Dick James demos.

What exactly Parlogram is, I don't know, sounds kind of like Polygram, no idea if they're related in some way.

It's just criminal to me how copies of the songs are never made public. Not legally of course, but just in the sense the fans never get to hear these treasures.

Anyone have a current list of all the Beatles songs on acetate we have & don't have access to ?

How many more of these are there ? What's causing all these to come up nearly at once ?. Could it be a signal an official album of all these is coming ? And everyone's selling them at once ? Just a theory.

Sean, richierichie, RockRoom and 5 others like this.
  2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Interesting. Well, I'll be glad if we can at least hear a small clip but I hope it sees full release

Parlogram is a very reputable high end record dealer, specializes in Beatles LPs. But some acetates have come up through them in the past.

3. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The demo tape of A World Without Love - not an acetate - belongs to Peter Asher, formerly of Peter and Gordon. The 30-second tape was played - and the song also performed live - at concerts given by Peter in 2013.

And here it is:

4. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

From what I read, the flip side of the 'What Goes On' acetate is the complete 'Carnival of Light'.
    Let's start a new CoL thread!

paulisdead, Bill, Sean and 2 others like this.
  5. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Absoluely true, but in a 1963 early 'beat' version! :)

More seriously, more people would be able to hear this or other such acetates if some kind of pledge was considered by a large group of collectors and/or fans instead of just one big collector paying a huge amount of money and finally keeping it for himself.

OK, only one of those would end up with the original acetate, but the recording it contains would be shared among all those who pledged and, very quickly, with the world at large.
    Probably too easy to make it work, I suppose.

In the meantime, here is the beast:
    [​IMG]

6. johnny moondog 909

But where's the sound clip ? Is that up yet ? It wasn't a few hours ago when I posted the thread. Who knows could be several days

7. johnny moondog 909

Right but wasn't there another one the year before or after ? Another Peter & Gordon ?

8. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Paul and Ringo had some input into the Rubber Soul version, would be interesting to hear what it originally sounded like.

9. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Let's see, where'd I put that extra couple of million bucks I had lying around...

10. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Interesting to hear this. There's a demo for "From A Window" and "I'll Keep You Satisfied" probably laying around. Maybe Peter has demos for "Nobody I Know" and "I Don't Want To See You Again" by Paul too.

11. johnny moondog 909

How sure are you about any of those 4. I'd love to hear all those, specially the first two.

12. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

0% sure. But we didn't even know this acetate of "What Goes On" existed, so one can only hope.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Parlogram is an EBay seller/dealer. I think his name is Andrew Milton. His specialty is UK Beatles vinyl. Top copies. No relation to Polygram.

Cassius likes this.
  14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Parlorgame

15. johnny moondog 909

Well it's auction day, well part start time I believe 2.30 pm in London, can't find the mp3 sample, maybe someone else is more clever.

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

17. johnny moondog 909

What ? No they are selling a 1963 Dick James acetate demo, of Lennon singing & playing guitar. Probably very much like the Bad To Me & World Without Love demos.

In fact this is the 2nd time in five years this has been auctioned. In fact its George Harrison's copy which he gave to his brother.

What do you mean fake ?

18. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Has anyone here ever bought an "original" Beatles acetate, or at least heard one in person? I have always wondered what the quality is like.

19. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Some have showed up on bootlegs clicks and all.

20. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

21. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Which brother? George has 2!

22. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

Very interesting. I'm not sure if that's the bridge or the verse that comprises the majority of the clip. It sounds like a completely different song this way. Maybe the chorus was all that survived from the original version. Maybe it was a pretty major rewrite in 1965.

23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Ignore him. He's a troll of the highest order.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  24. johnny moondog 909

Holy smokes is that Sir Paul McCartrey on the high part, I suspect it strongly hmm melody a bit different on the verse, Russians ?

How in heck are we gonna mash that with the Rubber Soul 65 track Batman ? Play that again.

At least these people didn't do a 5 second clip, this ones at least twice that long

25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

A new Lennon vocal melody and lyric - very cool indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.