Another negative opinion on today's music.....*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JackS, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

Well, it was 70s Jamaican dub and 60s soul hits that their music is based off of. You could listen to the originals.

2. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

What was the System Of A Down of the 60's/70's ?

D.D.

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Knowledge or wicked Google skills?
    Some are. Among many other things.

4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Wait...people still listen to Portishead? That is so dated.

5. Jack Flash

The difference is they revolutionised that older music.

There is no bigger musical leap than the leap from the 1950s to 1960s in rock music and R&B.

6. Jack Flash

I actually like Portishead. :laugh:

But, they're last century. :p

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Speak for yourself. There's tons of jazz that came after 1965, there's an audience for it. There's probably a lot of it you can't stand, but that's your concern, not the concern of those listening to all that jazz. A lot of jazz I listen is post 1965, a lot of it freaked out jazz fans when it first appeared, a lot of it still does.

Dave S, scotth and Diamond Dog like this.
  8. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

My negative opinion is I just don't try hard enough to find music I like. I just feel like it shouldn't have to be work.

9. Jack Flash

Wicked google skills on that one. :D

But, I knew Portishead. :laugh:

10. wolfram

Yes, I could. But it wouldn't really sound like Portishead, would it?

scotth and Django like this.
  11. Jack Flash

I think the general consensus is on my side. :)

12. wolfram

My 20-year-old niece prefers them to Classic Rock. Weird, I know.

13. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

That's a lot less of an accomplishment when you consider they were starting from Ground Zero. And I can connect the dots between The Stones and say Muddy Waters or even Charlie Patton. Can you connect the dots between The Stones , much less Charlie Patton, and The Dillinger Escape Plan or The Mars Volta?

D.D.

14. Jack Flash

No, but it would probably be better.

Sampling wasn't available back then, so if sampling is your thing, then this is your century. But, other than Portishead, I don't have much like for music with sampling.

I liked trip hop, though, even though it didn't really take off.

But, anyway, there was plenty of moody music in the 60s and 70s with deadpan soft female vocals. Especially, the 60s.

15. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Not all of them. The highlighted portion is on target, and I didn't go to Woodstock (I really wanted to, but at 15 I was just too young to brave a cross-country hitch-hiking ordeal). As for the rest of it, I credit The Beatles with being Ground Zero, and I dug a lot of Disco and I totally embraced Punk and Rap and EVERYTHING!

Hell, I was 22 years old when I started going to CBGB in 1976. I felt like I was the perfect age for that scene. And then I deejayed and did sound in a club for nine or ten years, into my early-30's.

It's hard for me to imagine someone in their early or mid-20's being closed-minded about music, but indeed there were a lot of them. Still are, I'm sure.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. Jack Flash

I've never heard the Dillinger Escape Plan, but what are Mars Volta doing that Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Can, ect. didn't already do?

And, the accomplishment was tremendous to go from Chuck Berry to Revolver and Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

17. Jack Flash

What some of you guys need to realise is, I'm throwing out names of hugely popular bands when I mention Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, ect. There were also a lot of fantastic obscure bands in the 60s and 70s, too. It seems anytime anyone wants to mention a good band nowadays, they're always obscure.

We had great super-popular and obscure bands. Which is because the music was a higher quality then.

Hey, if I was young I wouldn't admit it's true to some old guy, either. :D

jeatleboe likes this.
  18. Django

Django Forum Resident

The 60's & 70's was an incredible time for music there no denying it. But I find the attitude of jack, jeatleboe and a few others quiet old & depressing.
    And I'm no spring chicken myself.

Guy E, scotth and Wondering like this.
  19. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Well, all they're doing is playing the classic baby-boomer trump card: smugness. They've been told since they were kids (mostly by advertisers) how great their generation is. No surprise that they've bought into it 100%.

Kevin j, Guy E, Dudley Morris and 2 others like this.
  20. wolfram

Of course it would. Silly me.
    You obviously haven't lived in Europe in the 90s and early 00s. BTW, I went to see Portishead and Massive Attack very recently and both concerts were sold out pretty quickly.
    Which isn't the same to me.

Whatever. We're here to share negative opinions on today's music, not that of the 90s, right?

21. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

Man you geezers puttin' down most of today's music make me sick -- I'm here to stand up for today's music --

I like how most of it doesn't use a lot of chords and has very minimal melody -- makes it easy to follow while I'm doing other things;

I like how the lyrics don't require much thought -- simple rhymes...no metaphors...not too imaginative -- makes it easy to follow while I'm doing other things;

I like how the vocals are thin sounding and little use of ear tickling harmonies -- not much resonance...not much phrasing...just the right amount of whine -- makes it easy to follow while I'm doing other things;

I like how the bass/drums are usually mechanical -- not many melodic and/or funky bass lines -- just the minimum. And, the drums are usually very unimaginative and machine-like. makes it easy to follow while I'm doing other things.

And most of all, I like how most of it sounds -- a pale imitation -- like it's all been done before which of course, makes it easy to follow while I'm doing other things.

So there's a lot of great music coming out today -- you just have to listen out for it...while you're doing other things.

22. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Who were the AWOLNATION or Skrillex of the 70s?

Huntigula likes this.
  23. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

Music always evolves.
    There is good and bad music throughout the history of music.

I can see from this thread, some guys evolve into old fogeys.

Those are facts:angel:

24. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

By your own standards - why would anyone want to listen to Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac or Savoy Brown or Mayalls Bluesbreakers when they could listen to an original blues record?

Obscurity has nothing to do with quality.

The technology and culture of the period had nothing to do with the quality of the music. The same thing could be said of today: there are super popular and obscure bands.

Diamond Dog likes this.
  25. Jack Flash

When I was young, I didn't want anything to do with the music my dad listened to. I wasn't sitting around listening to Sinatra and Nat King Cole. I wasn't buying their albums. I didn't care about them (although, I love Sinatra now). But, nowadays you go into a used vinyl album store and high school kids want to grab the latest Zeppelin or Beatles vinyl that came in out of your hands.

It might sound like old guy "Get off my lawn!!" crap, but it's obvious the music was better back then. Sometimes, like with guitars, something peaks and that's where it's considered to have peaked, and that's where it remains. And, for people who don't know guitars, the original guitars of the 50s are what are still the most popular (Telecasters, Strats, Les Pauls), and the more they are like the original models, the more they are desired.

Same thing with Corvettes, and other cars.

psychtrailmix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.