Another reason to dislike streaming and Spotify

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jeffsab, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Your amp, which I used to have, has more strings to its bow than just Spotify streaming. It's network capable, so while it no longer supports Spotify, it doesn't preclude you using DLNA, to access your phone, or other facility such as a Chromecast Audio to give you Spotify playback. You get Internet radio and a bunch of other services too.

It's a good powerful amp, well designed and sounds good. But...time moves on and a third party app has done just that. You still have a good amp however.

TonyCzar likes this.
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is frustrating but it also a good argument to have separate boxes vs. an integrated. And amp and preamp can last 50 year, the stuff that involves processing becomes archaic.

At this point I just want a USB connection on the from of a DAC. I’ll alway have a phone or computer that will be able to connect.

3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

God damn, that's a good line. I've been looking for a way to put that into words in a thoughtful and concise manner. Permission to nick this line totally uncredited for a song I've been working on? :p

Kohl88, Shiver, Ntotrar and 1 other person like this.
  4. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Absolutely, I’m flattered. And let me know if it ever gets recorded and released :tiphat:

Kohl88, Shiver and InStepWithTheStars like this.
  5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Shhh! You're supposed to say no and demand 50% of the $0.03 that the royalties would make so that I don't have to figure out how to rhyme that and make it scan! :nyah: EDIT: Well, "convalescence" does fit the tone of the song... and I can speed up the lyrical meter if I need to...

Kohl88 likes this.
  6. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I have an Integra (Onkyo) network receiver and Spotify on my computer and phone.

I have audio running into the receiver from my comp through a DAC and Spotify sounds great.

It sounds better than streaming did through the receiver.

On top of that I can use my phone to control Spotify and can play what I want and adjust volume etc. Of course to do this you need a computer or laptop somewhere near your receiver.

bpmd1962 likes this.
  7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

. . . nah, I'd have to throw away some of my own to make room for them.

Kristofa likes this.
  8. Veni Vidi Vici

If you can find a rhyme for “obsolescence” you’ve earned every cent!

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  9. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Simple, no company can arbitrarily cut off their service to me.

This was a service the OP was paying for without complaint that was dropped without warning. It should give any current or future Spotify user considerable pause.

Kohl88 and jeffsab like this.
  10. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

As I read Bro Rael's post, I'm thinking of MY amp, a 1960 EICO ST-40 "Stereophonic Control Center" that was absolutely state of the art in 1960 since it had 2 Magnetic phono inputs, Tape head inputs, Tape in inputs, FM Stereo inputs, even a set for AM Stereo. How times change!~~

Brother_Rael likes this.
  11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Curse you Spotify!

Wait, what are we mad about?

shaboo, Shiver, recklessczar and 3 others like this.
  12. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

That’s why I didn’t get the DAC card in my Bryston. I figured I’d be better off getting an external DAC. Apple TV is frustrating because they only have a HDMI out. I don’t have an AV receiver with HDMI switching, so I have to run it through my OPPO. I guess this isn’t a big deal for a lot of users, but it seems like keeping the optical out wouldn’t have been too difficult for Apple to do.

Shel likes this.
  13. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Apparently they removed the optical out from the Mac Books as well. I have no idea why.

14. Veni Vidi Vici

For the same reason it no longer has a built-in modem or parallel printer port.

15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Or you can log on to your account from a phone. Easy recovery.

16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Annoying but expected with any old piece of hardware that utilizes this kind of cloud service. Probably not enough % of people using it to deem any future updates to be worth developing, or perhaps the firmware itself cannot handle whatever future enhancements Spotify is making.

It's essentially the equivalent of using Spotify on a Wndows XP computer or an ancient Android device, each has a support lifecycle. As for the comparison to CD's, I certainly agree that if one wants long-term usage for their content, CD's were and are a good investment. So are FLAC files. For Spotify and the like, just use a smartphone as the source and you can just ugrade that once piece of hardware over time, to keep up with supported hardware.

17. Call me old fashion but I won’t stream until artists get fair payments . Even if it cost more per month as it should.

jeffsab likes this.
  18. Veni Vidi Vici

The artists who stream presumably are happy with their royalties, while those who aren't, don't. Nothing is streamed without the permission of the rights holders, after all.

leeroy jenkins likes this.
  19. Yeah which is most cases ( not all) is the label not the artist.

20. Veni Vidi Vici

It's never been easier, by a long country mile, to self-record and self-distribute. So I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for artists who willingly signed away their rights to The Man. Unless it was at a crossroads, and he disappeared in a puff of sulfurous smoke immediately after...

21. Brother_Rael

Oh don't you start...! :)

22. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

I knew there must be a reason that some people actually prefer analog.

You too yeah? They got my Kim Carnes LP collection.

Was a fancier way of saying "easy come, easy go"

That amp is still pretty bad-ass. Has everything you need and nothing you do not. Intuitive controls. Best part - even a layman or hobbyist electronics tech could service it.

Yeah go back to your LP's. I am about to spin one myself. No subscription software upgrade needed.

23. Brother_Rael

Thinking again, this may be less about Spotify and maybe more about Onkyo going to MQA on their Onkyo Music store and DAP players. Not sure.

24. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Spotify would like to get you on the same churning cycle you have for phones and computers.
    1. You invest in hardware
    2. They come out with new hardware
    3. They upgrade software/OS with unnecessary gimmicks and dubious “improvements”
    4. You are forced to install the new OS.
    5. Your devices becomes buggy goes slow and or won’t work with the new OS
    6. You are forced to buy the new hardware even though the old hardware was functioning perfectly before the upgrade
    7. Repeat ad-infinitum

You will buy Spotify ready devices. They will get a licensing fee. They will upgrade Spotify and your device becomes a brick. You buy a new device and they get a licensing fee. No thanks.

ffracer, Blank Frank, Kohl88 and 4 others like this.
  25. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Spotify premium for "on the move" music(no wifi connection needed,listen off-line via Ipod or Iphone.
    Home? Spotify premium via an Arcam miniblink dac coupled to my Rega Brio: can listen via the Ipod/Iphone with blutooth or from the tv spotify app.....fail to see the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.