Anti Static Fluids for Vinyl

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leonthepro, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Thread Starter

I would like some input from the people here. Are there any who have used anti static fluids for cleaning vinyl? Are there any pros and cons? Are there known side effects to products like Tetenal Mirasol 2000?

2. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Just use a Discwasher with a small amount of their proprietary fluid, works great at preventing/getting rid of static.

3. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

All cleaning fluids anti-static or otherwise leave residue in the grooves which you can hear. Better to use a dry carbon fiber brush one revolution and stop worrying about a little static electricity.

bluesaddict likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

Ive tried it with quiet records at high volume, cant hear a difference between using it and not.

5. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Nope to use the Discwasher properly you just spread a very thin line of fluid on one edge of the brush. After a few passes of the record with the wet side you rotate to the dry side hence forth removing all of the fluid.

6. Leonthepro

Im more so wondering about the effects it may have long term.

7. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

If you are worried about fluids having a long term effect on your records, then get an AS gun......but really the fluids will have no effect on your records

8. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Not in my experience. Sometimes I find it actually makes non-staticy-y records quite static-y.

Yamaha Denon KLH Nut and nosliw like this.
  9. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

a clean, soft cloth, damp with clean water is a great discharge tool for static charge.
    Most people have a hard time wrapping their head around this simple yet 100% effective solution.

Freddie_george, Bob_in_OKC and H8SLKC like this.
  10. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

This is what I have found too. It's always worked for me.

H8SLKC likes this.
  11. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Air is a fluid. Shoot the air around the record with a Zerostat. No residue to clean up.

H8SLKC likes this.
  12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I've used Gruv Glide for years and when it's applied correctly I've never heard any additional noise, and it does an exceptional job of eliminating static on LPs even in our super dry environment.

The marketing claims a whole mess of other benefits like reduced friction for less wear and better sound, etc. I rather think that's all BS. It does reduce/eliminate static and causes no sonic harm, so in my book it's worth it.

dan c

Leonthepro likes this.
  13. Leonthepro

I mostly use it as a wetting agent for my distilled rinsing water. It just happens to have anti static properties that I wanted when starting to clean.

14. Leonthepro

Does anyone know of a wetting agent thats for sure not harmful to vinyl at all as it leaves minimal residue?

15. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

LADS & Loricraft & no static for 15years

caracallac and Squiggsy68 like this.
  16. Leonthepro

Also why dont I get any notifications for this thread about new posts? Its not unwatched...

17. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Photoflo is a super wetting agent that I have been using for 50+ years and I haven't found it hurts anything, especially even more fragile film. Vinyl is pretty tough

Rickchick and Leonthepro like this.
  18. Leonthepro

Sounds exactly like my Tetenal Mirasol 2000. Its for film protection in general.

But how much do you mix with distilled water?

19. setonfire

setonfire Active Member

I mainly use a little amount of distilled water with a cloth if there’s a lot of static as I have a super bad experiences with carbon brushes. In my case static usually happens to new records that have been sitting in a shop for some longer period of time and its even even worse if they’re in the paper sleeves. Just bought one the other day and the felt mat that I have entirely stuck to it when I was flipping the sides but water solved the problem.
    Would like to try Photo-flo though

20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Since I have used the very reasonably priced Record Doctor cleaning machine on all incoming records (and a my old ones as time allows) and then place in a mofi anti stat sleeve- I never experience the ills of static when playing records. no need for on the spot anti static fluids or devices .

Rickchick and Livewire91 like this.
  21. Leonthepro

I get that people dont get static with their RCMs, I dont either anymore.

The main question is what side effects these fluids carry, not if you need them or not.

avanti1960 likes this.
  22. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

I have the project VCS record washer and projects own fluid. Contains no alcohol. Use it on all my new and old records that i buy. I had an knosti and its own fluid. Even made my own fluid, but they leave residue and smell so strong that you go all psychedelic in the brain. Super happy with my project vcs and its own fluid.

23. Christophe999s

Christophe999s Forum Resident

I've been using L'art du son fluid with my Project VC-S for quite a while, and haven't discovered any downsides yet.

caracallac and Livewire91 like this.
  24. Leonthepro

Lart Du Son is not anti static as far as I know.

25. Christophe999s

Christophe999s Forum Resident

caracallac and Livewire91 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.