Any Chance Of A Lone Ranger Sequel?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Luvtemps, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes I know it didn't do well,but it wasn't a bad movie the problem being that folks wanted to see a reboot of the[Clayton Moore-Jay Silverheels]classic, which didn't have to happen..I loved the flick and would like to see another from Johnny Depp,any thoughts?

2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I enjoyed it and would love a sequel.

Just rewatched it last week.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No chance.

4. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

No chance, as it bombed hard.

This movie infuriated me. It made a mockery of a beloved classic.

It made The Lone Ranger a baffoon.

The biggest failing was using a huge budget for CGI. That is NOT how you make a western. For modern day great westerns, look at True Grit and Open Range. What a shame The Lone Ranger did not get the same treatment.

I am glad you were able to enjoy it, but I see no chance of a sequel.

5. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

A bunch of it was filmed in the parking lot of Santa Anita Racetrack, across the street from my home. A massive (!) green screen was built and was there for months during the shoot. Was aware of CGI, but WoW. Saw the finished product in the mall a few steps away from this filming area.

6. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

It's pirates of the Caribbean on horses. Jack Sparrow and Tanto are like the same character, swap bandanna for feather.

7. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Needs a reboot...

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I hated it so I'm indifferent.

10. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

They never did a sequel to 1981's "Legend of tye Lone Ranger" starring the forgettable Klinton Spillsbury. The biggest thing they did was get Clayton Moore back in the news by trying to prevent him from wearing a mask in personal appearances.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That was a real dick move on their part (preventing him from wearing the mask in public at personal appearances and at hospitals and stuff).

Luke The Drifter and clhboa like this.
  12. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I'd be up for a sequel. I loved the film!

Bought the blu-ray, soundtrack CD, "making of" coffee-table book, and even got the Hot Toys Tonto figure:
    [​IMG]

IMO, the film's troubled production caused the reviewers to pre-write their pans.

Nobody quite grasped the fact that the film was being told by an unreliable narrator – hence all the outlandish "nature out of balance" stuff.

melstapler likes this.
  13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

How?

:nyah:

No Static likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh my god. :laugh:

15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The Antonio Banderas Zorro movies were only slightly better, and there was a sequel! Hollywood has a terrible record dealing with the old-timers. John Carter, the Mummy, the Green Hornet, the Shadow. The only one that I think is a true success is actually a modern tale based in that 'old-timers' time period; The Rocketeer!

melstapler likes this.
  16. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

There is only one Lone Ranger in my book, his name was Clayton Moore.

Solaris, Gumboo and Holy Diver like this.
  17. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

A sequel ?
    One can only hope not.

GregM, melstapler and mark renard like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

GregM, Scooterpiety, Gumboo and 6 others like this.
  19. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Deuce66, Vidiot and samurai like this.
  20. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

The 2013 version of The Lone Ranger was by far the most expensive Western movie ever made. Back in 1980 Heaven's Gate, Michael Cimino's massive misfire, was an example of movie waste, costing $44 million. Adjusting for inflation that would be about $138 million today. Although Ranger brought in $260 million worldwide, it cost $215 million, and probably had additional negative costs in terms of publicity and overhead of another $100 million or so. That means it probably needed to gross more than $600 million to break even. Although actually it was one of the biggest hit Westerns of the last 40 years, the out of control costs on this one doom the possibility of a sequel.

Back in 1990, Kevin Costner's Dances with Wolves was jokingly called "Kevin's Gate" before it came out. But after it was released it earned $424 million worldwide on a $22 million dollar budget, and so obviously made massive profits. Adjusting for inflation, that would be a gross for Dances of $815 million today, which is pretty close to what a successful superhero movie makes these days.

The Lone Ranger

Domestic Total Gross: $89,302,115
    Distributor: Buena Vista Release Date: July 3, 2013
    Genre: Western Runtime: 2 hrs. 29 min.
    MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: $215 million
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $89,302,115 34.3%
    + Foreign: $171,200,000 65.7%
    = Worldwide: $260,502,115

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Lone Ranger was fun but flawed and it looked great on a big screen. I think there is a pretty good movie in there if you edit out some cheesy stuff and the whole sequence with the old Tonto in the museum part, cut in down by 20min.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  22. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The train sequence climax is fantastic! (Unfortunately, the only way it's available at YouTube is from folks who merely filmed it from their TV screens. And on top of that, this one is a foreign-language dub...)

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Ouch!!!! chances of a sequel, negative zero.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

On top of everything else LR did wrong, the incredible misuse of white hot actress Ruth Wilson who had just come off the career-making part of her lifetime was frustrating for this fan! She had a recurring role in the Idris Elba BBC hit; Luther, that she left to make this picture, what a mistake!

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Amen!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.