Any "Cheers" fans here? Season 3 is out tomorrow in the US!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mattb, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member Thread Starter

Classic show, and one of the best seasons at that! Any other Cheers fans here?

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

This one will have special nostalgic value for me, as Season 3 was when I first started to watch the show (and that was mostly thanks to MAD magazine, which did a parody called "Beers").

Frasier's first season on the show, Coach's last, and several memorable episodes. My favorite--possibly of the entire series--is the one where Diane sets Sam up with a friend from her therapy group (played by the wonderful Carol Kane), and the woman immediately introduces him to her parents as the man she's going to marry.

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I'm picking this up tomorrow!

My one whine about season three is that the show never properly dealt with Coach's death. Does anyone agree?

4. AKA

AKA Senior Member

By the way, the third season of Frasier is also being released tomorrow. It contains one of my favorite episodes, "The Show Where Diane Comes Back."

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Boy did you make my day! I didn't know it was coming out!! CHEERS is one of only a handful of comedies I never tire of watching again and again...what a great cast, right up to the end. Season 3 really has the series rolling...Frasier arrives! Sadly Nick Colasanto passed away after the season ended. Sure hope they continue to release these sets at a quick pace...

6. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Thanks for the heads-up Matt! :righton:

I didn't even get a chance to buy season 2 yet....

7. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I love Cheers, it is one of my favorite shows. I put it right around Seinfeld, Dick Van Dyke, and All In The Family as great entertainment. I just dont think I can throw down 40 LARGE on tv shows I have seen soooo many times. Now if they were cartoons...

8. Mattb

I just finished watching season 3... What a great season! I like Woody in season 4 on, but The Coach is the best in my book!

Now on to the newly released season 6 of M*A*S*H....

9. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Did you notice how legitimately sad the cast looked in the episodes filmed after Nick Colasanto's passing? It's hard not to notice.

Very touching tribute on disc four. I also liked the interactive bar tour thing.

Does anyone know where the bar set is currently located? I heard it was in a museum somewhere.

10. Mattb

Yes, I sure did notice the sadness. It was strange they had Coach go on a vacation after he died, then (after a few "Coach is on vacation" episodes later) they aired an earlier taped espisode with him in it. I looked on an episode guide and I noticed the production sequence and air dates were out of order, so I guess they wanted to make it seem that he was alive longer. You know, I don't recall (on the show) the cast really dealing with his death in season 3 or 4.

I believe the set is in the Hollywood Entertainment Museum.
    http://gocalifornia.about.com/library/weekly/aaentmuseuma.htm

11. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

Cheers is one of my favorite TV shows, along with Dark Shadows. The show never really did deal with Nick Colasantos' death: the only thing they do is have Sam tell Woody (in the first episode of the 4th season) that Coach died. However, they DO pay tribute to him in the series finale, in which the last thing Sam does before the episode ends is straighten out a picture of Geronimo. That picture used to hang in Nick's dressing room, and after his death, they put it on the wall back by the piano on the main set. Very classy tribute and way to end the series, I think :righton:

I have season 1 on DVD, but I still need to pick up season 2, let alone season 3. That's nothing compared to Dark Shadows, though, in which I still need to pick up all 11 volumes or whatever they're up to now. Very expensive, though, because there were 1,225 episodes :(

12. Mattb

I remember the picture straightening, but the one thing I did not know was the meaning of it until a few years later.

I guess I was always hoping for a special tribute episode, like in Barney Miller when Jack Soo died.

13. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I don't know where the inside is, but the outside shot of the Cheers bar is actually the Bull & Finch on Boston Common...

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Watched ep where Norm gets arrested for delievering some of Cliff's mail last night. I was shocked at how gaunt and colorless Colasanto looked in that show...he could hardly speak his lines above a whisper and he clearly had lost a LOT of weight by that time. Anyone know if that was the last ep he did? Nor trying to be ghoulish, just curious.

15. Mattb

Cheerio, Cheers is the last taped episode with Colasanto in it. In the interview extras on the last DVD the actors speak about his ailing condition. The interviews are well done and informative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.