Any experience with the Gini LS3/5a clone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Oct 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's a Chinese LS3/5a clone, about $600. Was wondering if anyone had heard them?

2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I heard them several times, about six years ago or so in London. The Gini LS3/5A clone was a terrible speaker. It offered slight hints of a real LS3/5A, but it was nasally, treble was gritty or sibilant or however you choose to describe that sort of irritation, the mid-woofer driver was loose in the cabinet (possibly a problem with assembly at the store) and had to be tightened in place, and the midrange - a traditional LS3/5A standout feature - was alternately glaring or dull. In other words, all of the problems that are symptomatic of a cheap crossover mated to cheap drivers. The cabinetry assembly quality and finishing was cheap looking too. I wouldn't have even taken them for free at the time.

That was five or six years ago, and things may have changed since then, but I doubt it. If you're looking at the original version, used, stay away.

The latest iteration is the Audio Space AS3/5A, which are not bad bu not great either. I owned a pair more recently. Sold them.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    SandAndGlass and ls35a like this.
  3. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

. . . and the Audio Space version is now significantly more expensive than the previous Gini version. For the same money as the Audio Space AS3/5A new, you can get a older version, used Harbeth P3ES2 pair which even in rough shape are still really good, and worth having, and worlds better than the Audio Space version.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.