Any fans of British Horror 1950's - 1970's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Django, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Gorgo
    Dead Of Night!
    Giant Behemoth -British/American ...love the sound the Behemoth makes!

2. Django

Django Forum Resident Thread Starter

True.....but it's set in England.

3. I just ordered the no region Brides of Dracula. Knowing Universal it may-may get a catalog release or nothing at all so went for it.

4. Django

I got it as part of this set

[​IMG]

5. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

This is a fine set of great looking DVD transfers, esp. BOD. Forget the blu ray...way to grainy and wrong Aspect Ratio. The only glich is some of these discs have been reported to lock up. The Blu Ray Dracula from 1958 is good regardless of color timing and luminance complaints. Yes, it is a bit dark and the timing is not an attempt at IB techniciolor but it is certainly an enjoyable watch and no more cut off heads! The missing footage works good outside of one obvious music /video matchup , and the fact that a very important scene of Dracula "shedding a tear" is not included (it's on the Japanese unrestored special feature reels). Personally I can't believe there's only one uncensured print in all the world with this missing footage. Hammer had to work hard to get the water damaged/scratched footage to look decent. In retrospect, I kind of wish they never did a sequels to Dracula as all others pale in comparison. Lee is wooden in all of the rest and gone is that "pantherlike" magic he had. DPOD without Van Helsing is like Kramden without Norton, but I love Andrew Keir and he's the best thing in the picture. I HATE the red lined cape (makes Lee look like a magician), the stupid modern times aspect, hippys and rock and roll (YIKES). You can follow the downslide with each successive entry by how bad Christopher Lee's wig gets. When the new Hammer was putting together this blu ray of Dracula, I submitted to them a very rare portrait of the Count that they used as the title card for the Christopher Frayling documentary, and they gratiously gave me screen credit at the end...Since this is my favorite horror film, you can imagine what a thrill that was for me...anyway, ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!

Luke The Drifter and dbz like this.
  6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I really wish someone would put out a decent DVD/blu ray of Dr. Terrors House of Horrors.

Jimi Bat likes this.
  7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

The Skull is a wonderful flick!

8. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Interesting short film on the censorship battles with the BBFC

PhantomStranger likes this.
  9. Although the aspect ratio image with BOD is a problem, I disagree that t looks too grainy--it represents a more film like appearance. If they were using Hammervision as well that would explain the higher level of grain.

10. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

Cool.....however, Hamerscope is a widescreen process used for Eg: The Abomniable Snowman, and was not the process used in Brides. They also used Techniscope for DPOD , and a different widescreen process for Rasputin, with very little positive effect. It's a whole other thing to shoot in wide screen hampered by clastrophobic sets and I know (as I'm sure others do to) that Val Guest (Abomniable Snowman) disliked the format. He did a good job though I think..........

11. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

They had the knack for taking an absurd premise and giving it proper British gravitas

12. I was pretty sure that Technoscope and Hammerscope used the same process...(it's been a while since I reviewed the specs though) just that Hammer called theirs Hammerscope.

13. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

They do. Mine freezes up on at least 2 films.

14. Django

I have the 2 books Wayne Kinsey wrote, Hammer: The bray studio years & the Elstree years. Hammer would have to submit their shooting scripts to the BBFC and they would go through every scene and leave notes, "you can't do this", "you can't show that" ect.... The restrictions totally compromised the films IMHO.

15. Correct (and one of my fave zombie movies).
    Guess having Manchester in the title threw him (aka Let Sleeping Corpses Lie).

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Dead Of Night is still my favorite!

17. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

What was the title of the British sci-fi film about the spacecraft that was
    discovered buried beneath the subway system? Saw it on the tube a few
    years back and darned if I can remember the name of it!

18. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Quatermass and the Pit (US title: Five Million Years to Earth) is a 1967 British science fiction horror film. Made by Hammer Film Productions it is a sequel to the earlier Hammer films The Quatermass Xperiment and Quatermass 2. Like its predecessors it is based on a BBC Television serial – Quatermass and the Pit – written by Nigel Kneale.

smilin ed likes this.

19. Great flick! Still holds up pretty well IMHO.

smilin ed, Django and GuildX700 like this.
  20. wayneklein and GuildX700 like this.
  21. From which studio? Hopefully it will include Roy Ward Balker's commentary. Big fan of Andrew Keir and underrated dramatic actor who was the best Quatermass IMHO.

22. I should have been more clear. The Quatermass Experiment is due for release in December from KINO Video. Millennium Entertainment held the American rights to Quatermass and the Pit, though their Hammer label fell through after poor sales.

23. Django

Added a few to the collection:

The Crucible of terror DVD
    Dark Places DVD-R
    Symptoms DVD-R
    The shuttered room DVD-R
    Craze DVD-R
    Crucible of Horror DVD-R
    Deadly Strangers DVD-R
    The Abomniable Snowman VHS (recorded from TV)

GuildX700 likes this.
  24. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Some, by no means all.

Just watched "X the Unknown" last night, time-shifted from TCM. Perhaps oddly, some of the stuff they made in B/W with American actors seems to interest me the most.

GuildX700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.