Any fans of Canadian artist Russell DeCarle or Prairie Oyster?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by melstapler, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

Russell deCarle is best known as the lead singer for Juno Award-winning country supergroup Prairie Oyster, but I really enjoy his unique new acoustic sound as a solo artist. His current band is a trio which includes an accordion player and this provides a unique almost pseudo-gypsy jazz vibe to the music.

The studio album, entitled "Under The Big Big Sky" is a collection well-crafted songs reflecting deCarle's love for jazz, blues, country, rockabilly and western swing music. Although his group Prairie Oyster was known for combining country and rock with those elements, deCarle has taken a stripped-down approach utilizing acoustic instruments such as acoustic guitar, fiddle, coronet, accordion and horns. Like Prairie Oyster, deCarle's new material resembles the sounds of Willie Nelson, The Mavericks, Raul Malo, Marty Robbins, Roy Orbison, Lyle Lovett and Chris Isaak.

"Under The Big Big Sky" may be a departure from the full-band format used with Prairie Oyster, but the songs and clever production values are equally enjoyable. The Russell deCarle trio have also released a new live album, entitled "Live At Loud Mouse Studios," which gives an accurate of representation of his live performances.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    zphage and John B Good like this.
  2. melstapler

Here are some of my personal favorites from his solo project.

3. melstapler

4. melstapler

Fun rendition of the Marty Robbins song.

5. melstapler

The single from Prairie Oyster's most recent studio album.

6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I am familiar with that funny Prairie Oyster name, but have never tried an album of theirs.

I like country cabaret.

melstapler likes this.
  7. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

The accordion player looks so bored.

8. melstapler

That would be accordionist/pianist Dennis Keldie who worked with Canadian artists Jeff Healey and Bebop Cowboys. This must've been an off night for Dennis, he normally does backflips while playing the accordion.

9. melstapler

10. melstapler

[​IMG]
    A rare photo of Prairie Oyster from the 1970s. Notice Russell sporting long hair and a moustache.

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Russell deCarle is a very talented musician and the same with the band Prairie Oyster.

melstapler likes this.
  12. melstapler

Here is a fun Christmas song I've been enjoying from Prairie Oyster. It's called 'Christmas In Jail.'

george nadara likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.