Any fans of Helmet here? Discussion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 16, 2018.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Just wondering if there are any fans here? Anybody willing to discuss the stuff through Aftertaste ? Even the stuff post Aftertaste?

(Whatever, as long as it’s relatively close in terms of subject matter?)

Side projects of the other band members or the scene they came out of (NY post-hardcore scene more or less). Bands that could be discussed:

Handsome
    Orange 9mm
    The Mark of Cain
    Band of Susans
    Battles

Unrelated but related:

Quicksand
    Leeway
    Crawlpappy
    Loudspeaker

Etc.

?

pexie likes this.
  2. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Used to dig them a lot more but they don't have much staying power for me. Listened to Meantime and Betty mostly. They pack a punch. Good band.

3. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

I just got an email yesterday announcing their tour with Prong.

Anyway, yeah, I was a huge fan in the 90's but I haven't heard all the stuff post-Size Matters. Betty is still in my top 10 records of all time.

Coincidentally, I just listened to the Handsome CD a few days ago. Still holds up.

In high school I was really into that whole NYC post-hardcore scene, and own every Quicksand and Orange 9mm release as well.

Huge proponent of this thread.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Betty was my jam.....Wilma's rainbow is still jammed when I'm pissed off from bad work day a d need to vent.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Betty is a great album, still listen to that one often. I enjoy Meantime and Strap It On as well, but have to be more in the mood for them.

Their post-Betty stuff is a mixed bag to me, never got too much into Aftertaste. I do really like the album Seeing Eye Dog, think it came out around 2008 or 2009.

GodShifter likes this.
  6. GodShifter

I thought Seeing Eye Dog was better than I had any right to expect it to be. Was it classic Helmet? Nope, but it had some potential to it.

I'll be honest, my impressions of the stuff post Aftertaste haven't been great and I honestly was a bit disappointed with Hamilton for carrying on the band without any of the original (or classic) guys. Still, the first three or four are great albums. I saw them live on the Meantime tour twice and they were WRECKED the place; totally great. I got to see them with Hammerhead once and the other time was with Quicksand and The Toadies which was pretty awesome.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. Chrome_Head

Caught them twice in the last few years, once at a benefit against human traffiking, and last time at the Viper Room where they played Betty in full. Both times with his band of young dudes. They actually sound pretty good, never got to see the classic lineup though.

And yeah, Seeing Eye Dog has some great tracks—“White City” and “LA Water” among them. Always liked Hamilton’s style and approach.

Did you check out the new Quicksand record?

GodShifter likes this.
  8. GodShifter

So how many people are aware of the Australian band The Mark of Cain? I bring them up because they were lucky enough to procure John Stanier on their last two albums. Before that, they were worse than Spinal Tap in terms of being able to lock down a drummer for even one tour much less an album. In fact, I don't think they've ever even toured outside of Australia, but I could be wrong about that. To my understanding, they got Stanier to record with them, but his commitment with them really went no further due to, as I said, they didn't tour much and Stanier had other projects in the USA that he had to attend to.

Unfortunately for most of us TMOC fans, the band is terribly non prolific. In 2001 they released the great This Is This .... and didn't follow that up until 2012 with Songs From the Third and Fifth. That said, both have Stanier on drums and if you like Helmet, they're certainly a band worth checking out: huge heavy rhythms, same kind of yelling, talking Hamilton like vocals and the great drums and percussion of John Stanier. Don't mess with the early albums but from Ill at Ease (produced by Hank Rollins) you could do much worse if you like the monster riffs of Helmet, Quicksand, or Orange 9mm.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  9. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Wow- Handsome, I thought I was the only one that had that album lol...

Curveboy, Roberto899 and GodShifter like this.
  10. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I loved Helmet when Meantime came out and Band of Susans too with and without Page. Lost touch a long time ago. Be interested to read this thread. Oh and Quicksand I love...

Chrome_Head and GodShifter like this.
  11. GodShifter

I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't even know Quicksand had a new album out.

I've actually kept track of Walter Schreifels stuff for years after even Quicksand was on hiatus. I bought his CIV thing, the Walking Concert deal, Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today, and Rival Schools. I've liked all of it, but kind of lost the plot lately. I'll look into the new Quicksand album ASAP. To me, they're (Quicksand) as interesting as Helmet in terms of all the projects the guys in the band have done before and since.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  12. GodShifter

Yeah, you know, if you could get over blaming the Patriots loss on me (for rooting for them) I bet we could hang out, talk music, and have a good ol' time :D ;).

13. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

Weren't they the de facto "Rollins Band" for a while? A cursory Google search isn't showing me anything; I've definitely heard of them and I think that's how...

14. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Lol, and hell I'm drinking bourbon right now which seems to be your thing too :laugh:

GodShifter likes this.
  15. GodShifter

Too true !

Oliver likes this.
  16. GodShifter

You’re thinking of Mother Superior. A hard rock/blues band out of California.

Dark Mavis likes this.
  17. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I think the last Helmet album I have is Aftertaste which at the time didn't do much for me. Any good albums after that?

18. arem

arem Forum Resident

I love the first three records then lost interest, losing Stanier was a huge blow IMO but I'm biased because I know John:). Great guy. Battles is kind of hit or miss on record but live they are superb, it is amazing to watch them build the songs out of loops on the fly.

The most recent Quicksand record was really good, but it doesn't sound like the older ones so if you are looking for Slip pt.2 you'll be disappointed. It's more shoegazey with Walter actually singing some. I dig it.

19. Chrome_Head

Yeah, I really like Seeing Eye Dog (2010), more melodic but still often quite heavy—good songs. Monochrome (2006) is another one that’s decent.

Will have to look for these guys, there’s been a lot of good heavy alt-rock bands out of Australia the last decade and a half. Couple of other ones my friends got me into are the Aussie bands Cog and Karnivool—highly recommend both of them to all in this thread.

I dug Stanier’s drum work in Battles as well.

Check it out and let us know what you think. Walter also has a pretty great new stoner rock band called Dead Heavens, good record from them last year.

GodShifter likes this.
  20. GodShifter

No, not to my way of thinking. Seeing Eye Dog isn’t embarrassing but that’s not exactly a ringing endorsement, huh? Funny thing, though, the vocalist for Handsome, Jeremy Chatelain, played bass on one album (Size Matters I think?). Helmet is currently on their eighth album, but it’s just a bunch of nobodies and Hamilton these days. I don’t mean “nobodies” in a derogatory sense, but they’re not anyone that’s been in a notable band to my knowledge.

Oliver likes this.
  21. GodShifter

I just ordered the new Quicksand. As soon as I hear it, I’ll post my thoughts.

Stoner rock is a huge interest of mine. I’ll definitely check out Dead Heaven. Thanks!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  22. GodShifter

You know John? Awesome. A great drummer with a signature sound and style. Not many can say that. He’s one of my favorites.

Kossoff is God likes this.
  23. Chrome_Head

Like I said, the current band holds up live, but they did look to me like a bunch of kids that Page met at Guitar Center or something. The band was never the same after Betty, IMO. But I have found something to like on each subsequent Helmet album of the last 17 years.

GodShifter likes this.
  24. GodShifter

I didn’t like Aftertaste at first but after repeated listens grew to love it. It’s still the classic line up just minus Mengede or Traylor. But, I do agree that every Helmet album after it has had a few decent songs. No album is a complete bust.

Does your member name have anything to do with Catherine Wheel? Every time I see it I think of them.

Someone mentioned Prong! I’m all over the place in this thread! I need a drink :]

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

I haven't listened to anything after Betty but I was a huge fan in the 90s. Saw them around the time Strap it On came out and a few times after that but the last time I saw Helmet was about 11 years ago at CBGB. I still think that Born Annoying 7" was one of the best things AmRep put out.