Any fans of "The Voice?"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Nostaljack, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Sorry I meant the wooden stiff "crooner" Riley.

2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Yeah, I would have picked Natasha over him with no hesitation. I thought she showed enormous improvement over her audition. And the Sinatra-type singers never make it to the very final stages of these competitions anyway.

3. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

We is fantastic. She passes my "goosebump" test that puts her to the top of my list. The Janis Joplin song wasn't as suited to her as her Nina Simone audition, but still showed what she can do.
    Lauren Diaz is one of those contestants (pretty with mediocre voice) for whom I just shake my head & wonder why she is still there.

Ali Caldwell is another fantastic voice this season, & her experience shows in her on-stage confidence. She should challenge for the top spot.
    Courtney was a (good) surprise, but no match for Ali. I thought she was done, but got picked up so she'll be around for a bit longer.

I really enjoyed Dan & Sundance together. Sundance was the right choice, but kudos to both for a cool performance.

Billy is another voice that, with the right guidance & work, will go places. Andrew suprised me last night (wasn't crazy about his initial audition), but something about him bugs me.

Both Riley and Natasha were both over their heads last night. Their nerves showed big-time. Riley's time is limited.

Christian & Jason were both kinda "meh", imo. They are just competition noise at this point for me.

4. Monosterio

My favorite last night was We McDonald, and tonight it was Michael Sanchez. They are the first two members of my Voice team. (Don't ask -- someone at work talked me into it.)

Anyway, I was already impressed with Michael's rendition of "Use Me" (LOVE that song) in his audition, and tonight I thought he was even better.

5. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Aaron Gibson & Sa'Rayah were an awesome pairing last night.

Monosterio and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. Monosterio

I agree, best of the night.

7. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Loved Bette Midler on the show last night. What a privilege for those singers to be in a position to be coached by her. That's something they'll never forget.

jpelg likes this.
  8. Monosterio

I agree about Midler -- love her. What is up with Joan Jett, though? Is it all the facial work that's making her talk like that? It's not from a stroke -- I checked.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Don't know. Quick glance before I heard her name last night led me to believe it was Pat Benatar. My guess would be hard livin' as the main cause.

10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I think it's just a little bit of age on top of they way she has always talked.

Monosterio likes this.
  11. Monosterio

Thanks for that. For some reason I though she spoke much differently in her earlier years.

12. Lonson

I'm glad Aaron is still around.

phish likes this.
  13. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

I really enjoy the battle rounds and think they should use them all the way to the finals

my two cents...

14. Monosterio

It's obvious that We McDonald is the favorite this season. But who do you guys think are the other top contenders? Maybe the twins? I really can't tell.

15. Monosterio

I'm sensing there's not a lot of enthusiasm for the new season, huh? Well, FWIW, I really enjoyed last night's knockout battle between Christian and Belle. Alicia made the right choice and Belle has no chance to win the season, but I'm glad she got saved and we'll get to enjoy her understated talents at least one more round. :)

16. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I'm loving this season so far. Lots of talent.

As far as last night, I agree with Monoterio re: the Christian/Belle round. I actually think they would be great in a duet.
    Courtney showed she is a powerhouse contender, and I really, really liked Ponciano's performance a lot (sadly he was eliminated).

17. Monosterio

I see it's been more than a month since anyone brought up The Voice. Wé is still my favorite this season, Christian second. I like Billy Gilman too, but he might be a tad too perfect.

I guess this is the week we get a ton of eliminations on the same night?

18. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I think a bunch of wrong song choices resulted in some inconsistent performances last night. We' had her first mis-step as a result.

Sundance was the only one who performed at a consistently high level for both his solo and the duet, imo.
    He has turned me into a fan & probably deserves to win this thing.

19. Monosterio

I wasn't blown away by anyone last night -- at least not like I was last week by Wé.

Right now what I'm looking forward to next week is Brendan taking Blake's advice and singing a Michael McDonald tune. :D

20. Lonson

I agree, few were at their best last night. I like Sundance and Christian and We. . . don't care much for any of the others. Will be interesting to see who goes home tonight.

21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

The top three vote getters make sense/were no surprise, but I was surprised by who won the instant save.

Billy, Sundance, and Wé were the top three, and Josh won the instant save.

22. Lonson

Me too. Not a fan. Was hoping for Christian or Addie. Or both and no Billy Gillman (ugh).

23. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

We disagree about Billy. He's one of the better singers this season.

By far the worst performances in the semifinal came from Brendan and Aaron. There's a reason why Aaron kept showing up in the bottom group. While I haven't been much of a Brendan fan, others obviously have. But his solo this week was just an absolute mess. It was so bad that I'm not even sure a chair would have turned for him had that been his audition. Not sure what happened since he's usually not that bad, but he didn't even seem to be singing a melody.

24. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I told my wife that he would win because I felt the other two would split vote. It seems like that may have been what happened.

25. Monosterio

I haven't been the biggest fan of Billy Gilman, but I have to say that he owns the night so far. I was moved by his rendition of "My Way" (not one of my favorite songs) and it was a stroke of genius for Adam to duet with him on "Bye Bye Love." Billy's voice is eerily perfect for that song -- it was like listening to one of the Everlys.

Sundance Head was also great on his original tune. The show is a little past the halfway point right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.