Any fans of "The Voice?"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Nostaljack, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Just caught Sundance's duet with Blake. Awesome. It's definitely between him and Billy tonight. Josh is out, IMO -- he was lame on the "Smooth" duet --but I'm curious to see what Wé does at the end.

2. Monosterio

Wasn't as impressed with Billy's new tune (written by Adam) as with his two earlier performances, while Sundance was great on everything. So here's how I rank them tonight:

Sundance
    Billy

Josh

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I just can't get into Billy, his style does nothing for me. I thought Sundance was awesome, I'd be happy if he or We wins. We'll see tomorrow after a lot of painful fluffy waiting (and maybe a very interesting Sundance/Kiss performance?)

4. Monosterio

Oh yeah, can't wait for Sundance and Kiss!

5. clayton

clayton Senior Member

My wife loves this show, me i'd rather watch paint dry.

6. Monosterio

Watching paint dry can be plenty scary, because right after you apply the paint there's that period where you think it won't look even once it's dried.

7. Monosterio

The right contestant won. Congratulations, Sundance Head!

8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Who is Billy's market? I can't for the life of me understand how he placed in the top 2. I don't like bro-country, but the guy who finished 4th last night had a song that - it seems to me - would play very well for that extremely large market. Which is why I was shocked he wasn't in the top 2.

(although, I can't ignore the fact that producers probably get to override any public participation on this show to move along the contestants they want)

9. Monosterio

You might be right about Josh being more marketable than Billy. But putting that aside and looking just at how they performed Monday, I thought Josh was the weakest of the four. His original song was the best of his three, though -- I'm guessing that's the song you meant?

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm guessing that Billy's market is people who like pop vocals. Not that I'd really compare him with Michael Bublé, but in a broad sense he might appeal to the same public and Bublé recently had an album debut at number 2 on the Billboard Hot 200 albums chart.

Maybe Josh -- the name of the guy who came in 4th -- will appeal to the bro-country market but there doesn't really seem to be anything to distinguish him from other bro-country acts in terms of singing ability. If anything, a lot of the guys who succeed in that market do so in part because of their sex appeal. I'm not picking up any sex symbol vibe from Josh.

11. Bobby Buckshot

Yes, that's the one. But I'd say overall the performances from Monday weren't good. We ended up turning the channel, mainly because to us the song choices were so corny/hokey. I hate when they go cornball with song choices.

That sounds about right. It's still surprising to me that Billy's pop vocal market vaulted him to the top 2. I can understand being a finalist, but for him to come in second was a shock to me, especially over Wey (sp.?)

12. Monosterio

Who knows, maybe the outcome last night would have been the same regardless what happened on Monday. Still. I got the impression Sundance and Billy really wanted to win, whereas the other two I'm not so sure. I mean, "Jack & Diane" as your closing song on The Voice? :confused:

13. Bobby Buckshot

For real man. And it was bad. We missed that Monday but caught it last night on the recap. No feeling behind it to convince a listener. I can only conclude it was a rushed rehearsal leading up to the show...?

Monosterio likes this.
  14. Lonson

Pop music lovers form a huge part of the listening/watching world of this show I would imagine, and country is up there too. Sundance rightly captured the country vote (though he's more than that) by his really solid performances; Josh just didn't have the heftiness. Billy was the perfect pop singer and not surprising he reached the #2 spot. I personally didn't like his singing style or was wowed by his "beautiful voice" as my wife and a coworker of hers were. . . . I'm very happy Sundance won, he worked very hard and yet also enjoyed and had fun with the experience and passed that enjoyment along to viewers. I'm glad his real talent won out.

I think We could have finished second, possibly even first, but the song choices she made or that were made for her the last few weeks were not the best. Better songs that featured her would have made a difference.

jpelg, Monosterio and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  15. phish

phish Jack Your Body

IMO, it's Broadway.

16. Lonson

That's what my wife would say every week, "Billy should be in Broadway shows."

17. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Same here with my wife.

18. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

My favorite performance of the finale, Sundance Head honors his dad Roy Head who was in the audience.

19. Monosterio

Great stuff! :righton:

With that beard of Sundance's, I wonder if the show considered pairing him with ZZ Top on Tuesday? :D

20. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

His bit with Kiss was surreal.

21. Monosterio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.