Any gear in your system now you also had a decade ago?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nate, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Most of it.

2. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Speakers (Canton Ergo 700).

3. Almost my entire main system is a decade old or older.

4. I used to have one of those. I opened it up once and saw a big r-core transformer and some MOV's along with some electronics to control the turn on sequence. Simple but effective.

5. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Lots of fresh vinyls, a few NOS (but new to me) valves, but still most of the carry over gear. Thinking about a new stereo, perhaps mono too, Lyra cart in the spring. :)

6. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

In my main system, only some interconnects. In my 2nd/office system a Sony 222ES SACD player that sounds as good as the day I bought it. I also have some speakers and amps that I have had at least 12 years or more, but they are not currently in use.

7. My Pioneer PD HL5 CD player. Bought used in 1999, still going strong.

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I still have the same tonearm, tuner, cd transport, and DAC.

9. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

My newest pieces are about 10 years old. Polk RTi12s, and Yamaha HD-1500. A few weeks ago I had to rotate out my 30 year old HK PM665 when the volume in the right channel dropped off. I put in the 10 year old HK 3980 for now.

10. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Everything is over 10 years old (my ADS speakers are much older than that) except my Yamaha integrated amp. Well, I did replace my cartridge a year ago.

11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Now that I think about it, I do have several power cords and interconnects that I've had more than ten years if that counts. There's just some things I refuse to part with.

12. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Just my VPI Aries 3 TT.

13. nmp69

nmp69 Forum Resident

Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks - 11 years old.
    Magnepan 1.6QR speakers - 17 years old.

14. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Thorens TD115 turntable.
    Shure V15 type III cartridge with VN 35E stylus (x 3).
    Stax New SR-3 Electrostatic Headphones & SRD-5 Adaptor.

15. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

The Antique Sound Lab Hurricanes, even though they still blow resistors on occasion. And I keep them because there is NO other equipment I've ever had that sound so real, not even my Jadis stuff from the early 90s, or my Goldmund Mimesis 9 (fantastic upper midrange and highs, though! Whew!) or anything else comes close. The ASLs are not the highest resolution amps, but dynamics?? Good luck easily finding something as 3D sounding, as authoritative-sounding (I've looked. It's the mid bass authority that gives an amp the solidity of images, and no other frequency). So I've kept them. I tried the Hegel H80 recently. More resolving, great on vocals, great ambience retrieval (although not remotely as good as the Hurricanes), but their bass, while as even as the midrange and treble, just didn't grab me. So, it's still the Hurricanes. Everything else has changed. Oh, wait. Still use the PS Audio Power Plant 300 (and I have Nordost's Q-Base 6 and the QVC-2s) and the Arcam FMJ 23 (I use that as the control, so that no matter what else I audition, I know what the CD player is contributing).

16. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

All of it for more than 10 years except my Lyra Delos phono cart and the Bel Canto DAC.

After I bought my DQ 10s back in 2005 ( and sold my ProAc 2.5s which I really enjoyed) I finally got to a place where I didn't feel like messing with the sound I was getting. Every time I go into an audio salon now with idea of looking for something new and different I find myself generally unmoved with what I'm hearing vs what I have at home. Unless something fails and couldn't be fixed I'm content. I never expected those used (prior one owner) $500 late model DQ10s would be my ticket to long term audio happiness but they have been.

17. wareagle69

wareagle69 Forum Resident

Bryston BP25 preamp
    Bryston 4B ST amp

18. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Marantz DV-8300. Here is a review article, published on Feb. 22, 2003: Marantz DV-8300 SACD & DVD-Video/Audio player

It was the first player I had that had the capacity to play SACD and DVD-A, then emerging high definition formats (in addition to regular CD and DVD). The display long ago stopped lighting up (unless you beat on it for awhile, and sometimes it will come on for short while). I plan to replace it, but it is hard to do so when it still works! But got an Oppo in my sites for sometimes this year.

19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

This year my ¨newer¨pieces (floorstanders and sub) are 10 years old. The rest of the rig I got between '92-'95. But the TT, receiver and dynamic expander are all late 70s.

20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

My equipment rack!!!

The Pinhead likes this.
  21. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

B&K EX4420 amp, interconnects and speaker wires. There is some other old stuff in the house, but I am not using it.

22. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

A pair of Wharfedale 8.1s used as rear speakers in AV system now

23. Hglaser

Hglaser Well-Known Member

Yep. Everything but the cart, phono stage, speakers and speaker cables are old enough to go to college. Oh yeah, and the DSPeaker. Less than a year old.

24. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Hovland HP200 full featured preamp.
    Vienna Acoustics Mahler. Kenwood KD550/RB301/Koetsu Rosewood Sig.

25. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Only piece that old is my Sennheiser HD-600's and technically, not all of it. It has new pads and a new cable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.