Any June Christy fans on here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mickeyfrith, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

As closely as they recorded the stereo version to mirror the mono, there are subtle differences in the stereo that make it fun. I enjoy both versions.

.crystalised. likes this.
  2. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that video you did, it is great to know that June's work is being appreciated and enjoyed by younger generations out there.

I discovered her years ago from a Capitol compilation series call "Just For Variety", and she really stood out from the other vocalists on the LP's I was like "wow" who is that?

I found her other albums on vinyl and then Michael Cuscuna from BlueNote began reissuing many of them and EMI UK put out a series of Two on One's. So all of her Capitol output made its way to CD before the download evolution cut all of that off.

There is a 180 gram Lp version of "The Cool School" out there with June's daughter as one of the kids on the cover, find that one for your collection too. You'd enjoy it...

bluemooze and .crystalised. like this.
  3. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

That is one of my Favorite Lp's of all time..I bought the CD when it was released. Getting hard to find but there are a few out there, I have a Japanese Toshiba/EMI vinyl of it too and an original Capitol.
    The album really swings but June is still SO Cool....she was one of the best in the business..

.crystalised. and DLant like this.
  4. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Just put on my pristine copy I picked up in a Mesa Az yardsale for 50 cents of June Christys album Gone for the day on an original mono turquoise label with the mono switch on. She sounds like she is in the room:D must be a tube cut and my NOS rubes in the preamp.

5. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Man it must have been cool to go see these folks that sang the standards live with every one dressed up and sipping cocktails except for the smoke it would have been something.

.crystalised. and bluemooze like this.
  6. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This CD needs to be issued on vinyl! Why in the world they don't issue these vintage singers on vinyl as well as CD is beyond me, but all singles or unissued songs?! It sounds like an entire album of "new" June Christy material! Would love this on vinyl.

bluemooze, .crystalised. and DLant like this.
  7. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Day Dreams. That compilation has some interesting selections. Are they singles or album cuts?

8. Nathan Aaron

Discogs (and apparently the back of the CD) state: This CD contains all of June Christy's own recordings for Capitol between 1947 and 1950, most of them issued only on singles or previously unissued. "Body And Soul" and "your're Blas" are two newly discovered tunes from the 1955 June Christy-Stan Kenton duet session.

Looks like (after doing some research) Day Dream is on The Misty Miss Christy, I'll Remember April and Get Happy are on This Is June Christy!, Somewhere if Not In Heaven is on Off Beat, and that's it! The rest are either unreleased or were singles only!

9. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

Thanks for posting about this, picked up a copy from Amazon cheaply and have been loving it. Initial favourites are Day Dream, Get Happy and Body & Soul, but there isn't a bad track on it. Slightly too much NR on the earlier material (for my liking) but a very nice listen overall. I like how June often performs interesting and unusual arrangements of popular songs.

10. DLant

Bumping this thread for June Christy.

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It may be January but the song is June!

[​IMG]

.crystalised., Nathan Aaron and DLant like this.
  12. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I'm buying this next on vinyl. I am saving for a mint copy.

Nathan Aaron, DLant and action pact like this.
  13. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

I just received the 2fer of This Is/Recalls Stan Kenton, with the Do-Re-Mi one (hopefully) waiting for me at the post office. Only listened to the Kenton one so far, sounds rather lovely to me.

DLant likes this.
  14. DLant

I love "How High The Moon" from that Kenton appreciation album.

15. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I just got my mint Toshiba 82' stereo vinyl pressing of the Intimate Miss Christy. Man it's awesome. This is June Christy's version of Dream with Dean album. AP Do This Next please! !!! Someone

16. DLant

Great album.

All her Capitol albums deserve the SACD treatment.

It's a damn shame that Something Cool has been neglected.

Get2Me and .crystalised. like this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Agree 100% :edthumbs: Have all her albums.

18. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

The only June Christy album to get anything near the audiophile treatment is Something Cool on 180g vinyl courtesy of Cisco. It's wonderful and sounds like heaven. However, great as the Something Cool LP is, it's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to June's body of work!

I'm ALL IN for anything June Christy on SACD!

Hamhead, The7thStranger and DLant like this.
  19. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

June Christy is absolutely everything. I finally picked up the Stereo/Mono CD for Something Cool. My mono copy of the original LP is totally shot.

I also picked up one of the 4CD (8 album) budget compilations. :( It seems it's the only affordable way to get her music nowadays.

bluemooze and Get2Me like this.
  20. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

I guess it's lucky, and says something about her popularity on the fringes of jazz vocalists both then and now, that June Christy's catalogue was well represented on CD in the late '90s and early 2000s. Unfortunately, as you alluded, most of those reissues came and went far too quickly. Those in the know know that June's is a rare and special talent. Hopefully she'll be re-discovered by the masses one day soon prompting a more consistent album reissue campaign. Until then, we'll take what we can get.

The7thStranger likes this.
  21. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

There is another June Christy reissue that came out few years ago The Cool School 180g in mono but nothing since. The last decent reissue's on vinyl before the Cisco and the Cool School was in Japan a 1982 reissue campaign of June's catalog and I have few of them and they sound real good.

Get2Me likes this.
  22. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I would think a reissue on vinyl would be fairly easy besides her work when she was a band singer in the 40's all of her work was on Capitol. unlike someone like Beverly Kenney who was on several labels in a short time.

80sjunkie and The7thStranger like this.
  23. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

What drives me nuts is that she has the right amount of material for one very nice box. Like the Sinatra Capitol Years box set (except with better sound quality). The complete June in one place? I'd kill for that. :-(

Currently have her playing now. Nobody sang as human as she did.

bluemooze and Get2Me like this.
  24. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

I forgot about that The Cool School LP! Great album!

Bryan Fraser likes this.
  25. Nathan Aaron

- I'm not sure about CDs (I gave up on those a few years ago. It's all vinyl or MP3 for me now. Always vinyl if I can find that, first.) She's actually not that hard to find on vinyl (and usually cheap. I'm shocked at how cheap Something Cool has gotten. That used to be worth some money!?) In fact, I've got an antiques booth where I sell some records, and June Christy records just gather dust. It's so sad. Everyone's after the 70's, and hair metal stuff. Nobody wants jazz, diva LPs. At least not here in ole' NC. Which is one of my favorite genres. Chris Connor, Doris Day, even Julie London. They just rot. I finally had to pull out the June Christy LPs. I've got her entire collection, minus one 10", all on vinyl. Love her music!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.