Any Lana Del Rey fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Black Magic Woman, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok, I know this forum is 99% classic rock, 20th century music, which I love, but I’m curious if there are any LDR fans here. I was surprised to see a Taylor Swift thread! So I think there may be one or two fans that would like to discuss Lana. I can’t really talk about Lana with her fans on twitter because they don’t know much about music and certainly they aren’t interested in knowing who was a influence on Lana and things like that.
    I hope I can find fans of her here :)

2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I have a few Lana Lp's that I like, and about 3 picture disc 45's too!
    I like what she does. I'm no obsessed fan, but I enjoy her stuff.
    She certainly deserves her own thread.

3. ijustdontknow

ijustdontknow Forum Resident

I really enjoy her live stuff on youtube. I wish there was more high quality live material available.

One of my absolute favorites is her live tribute to Leonard Cohen.

4. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I was in love with Ultraviolence....

great record, don't really like much else I've heard from her though

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  5. Black Magic Woman

She has an unique style. I mean, she’s different from the generic pop star. I like that.

6. Black Magic Woman

Yeah, saw her in March in concert and she needs to improve her live performances. She didn’t sing that much either. But I liked her show. Her tribute to Leonard Cohen is beautiful, she always tells the story how Janis became the muse Leonard was looking for, I don’t know why but she likes to tell that story lol.

7. Black Magic Woman

Ultraviolence is her best album IMO. Very influenced by the music of the 60s and 70s. I also feel a lot of Janis vibes in that album, as you can tell by listening to Shades of Cool.

MonkeyTennis and Record Rotator like this.
  8. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

ha I don't pick up on the janis vibe but it is a great and somewhat unique record.

9. Black Magic Woman

I agree with you, it’s very unique, not like, say, Beyoncé’s Lemonade or anything by Ariana Grande (no shade!).

10. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

it has an emotional quality I find lacking in a lot of modern music, I think that's why I really liked it.

11. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan of all four of her albums (and agree Ultraviolence is the best of the batch) and despite the shade thrown at her re: 'authenticity' over the years I really do think she's gotten more and more 'authentic' as the time goes by. I did see her live once and she was better than I'd expected but she's no dynamo on stage as you can see from her youtube clips. I think the record company pushing her out onto SNL too early really damaged her to a degree early on.

12. Black Magic Woman

yes, she got a lot of hate after that awful SNL performance. She was just beginning to perform before large audiences, Video Games wasn’t bad, but as much as I love her, her rendition of Blue Jeans was totally forgettable. I never understood the critics to her authenticity, to me, she has her own world, her own persona. She has a retro-mixed-with-modern-indie-pop style of her own. Lana is totally diferent from any pop star. She’s unique these days. We have to remember Lorde tried early in her career to recreate a similar Lana vibe but finally she has come with her own style too. There are other examples of indie musicians trying to replicate her sound but it only seems to fit her persona.

13. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

There's a thread or two here with some reasonable discussion of her.

Anyway, I'm a big fan. It's actually kinda remarkable that she went in the direction she did with Ultraviolence and Honeymoon since it was clearly not the most obvious commercial route from where she started. I caught her on the last tour and would describe her as serviceable live, but that's about it. I hope she skips the features on the next album as they were easily the worst parts of Lust for Life. If you haven't dug into all of the leaked stuff, I'd recommend it. There's a surprising amount of quality material in there.

Really couldn't care less about the "authenticity" stuff. I'm not looking for a role model. She can write. That's what matters.

14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I like her and own Ultraviolence.

She has a unique style.

Love that song she did for Gatsby soundtrack.

15. Black Magic Woman

I didn’t like Honeymoon that much, it’s good, but a little bit tedious for me. Lust for Life has good moments and it has some “Lana-vices” she has to erase (“take off, take off, take off all your clothes”)
    Her unreleased material is wonderful. There are a good number of great songs. Hopefully she’ll release them officially one day.

16. Black Magic Woman

Young & Beautiful is IMO Lana’s signature song. Maybe Video Games could compete.

17. Sure!
    Though i get where her detractors are coming from as well!!

Do like hearing a song at a club or a song on the airwaves now & then.
    Never have listen to an entire album nor do i think i could.

Really enjoyed dancing to her music; a few songs were played fairly early in sets usually, at a club i used to go to like two years ago.

A "Goth" club no less.
    It was all ways chillingly haunting...

18. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Tried. Not my cup of ultraviolence.

19. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I dig her voice a lot . I liked the first album and thought Ultraviolence was even better. Never heard much of her latest album though.

20. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I like some of her stuff, my girlfriend likes her so I usually get her albums. To me, I get a bit of the sound that David Lynch uses in some of his films which I really like. I haven't picked up Lust For Life yet.

21. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I have all Lana's albums on vinyl and I find them effortlessly likeable. They were all day one purchases for me. Ultraviolence is arguably a high water mark, and deserves some respect for, if not quite "heading for the ditch", certainly abandoning some of the sass of Born to Die in favour of a more atmospheric and downbeat set of songs. It's also the most self consciously epic of her albums, and there are some great moments like the guitar solo in Shades of Cool that unexpectedly, albeit briefly, threaten to tumble the entire song out of control.
    Interestingly, since Taylor Swift was mentioned in the original post, I regard both her and Lana as having a very intense following, especially on social media (which I'm not on), but in both their cases, I'm really interested solely in the music, so know very little about anything else. For instance, I've seen hardly any music videos by either of them.
    I know Video Games made everyone sit up and take notice, but then there was a bit of a backlash after the SNL appearance, with all sorts of urban myths doing the rounds. I was really irritated when a work colleague stated - with such certainty that one would assume she must have been in the studio at the time - that the Born to Die album was recorded one line at a time, because she couldn't sing. Absolute nonsense.
    I met Lana when she was touring Born to Die and she signed my LP for me. It's one of my favourite signed items.

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

She sounds good whenever I hear her. My sister likes her a lot. I wish she hasn't called an album Lust For Life though.

23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

She’s a one trick pony for me. Much of her stuff sounds the same. I own Born To Die and Ultraviolence, but don’t play them anymore. The latter really put me off her. Full of 5-6 minute dreary ballads with Lana’s druggy, slurry vocals on top. I’ve listened to a couple of her albums since and have heard nothing to suggest she’s moved on at all.

24. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

to me Ride is one of the greatest singles ever put out, and here real 1st album, the one with Nevada, Yayo etc has some great stuff on it, and like others have said there is so much great unreleased stuff or that's just YouTube like Chelsea Hotel No2. but the dark painbody stuff too much of the time, the slurry voice stuff, and too much of the depressed vibe stuff.. it's easy to see how great she could be, but IMO she keeps playing these roles and missing the mark instead of rocking her art, which she could so easily do. The night I saw her do Video Games on Jools Holland for the first time was game-changing, I felt She stole the year with that one move.

Antonio 7 and Black Magic Woman like this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I picked up the 'Ultraviolence' vinyl picture disc, but havn't really listened to it....
    Might have to dig it out for a refreshing listen.