Any love for Arcadia ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RevolutionDoctor, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkrok78

punkrok78 Forum Resident

Yep it is a ripper, one of the best they have ever done. Worth it just for Bob Geldolf gushing !!!

2. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Man, you're killing me! Can't wait - and I can't believe I totally forgot about it!!

3. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

Wow! I kinda forgot about this album and how much I love it. I have the 1992 Japanese CD and never got around to picking up the domestic version. Any improvements in sound on the U.S. CD?

I'll have to dig it out this week. :righton:

4. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

Yeah!! I just got mine and had fun watching it this past weekend. I still haven't watched the extras, so I'll be checking those out in a day or two.

5. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Hi all --
    Was listening to this tonight ... I'm still new to the boards, and so the last time I listened to this, didn't fully understand the importance of mastering to the overall sound of an LP. Today I realized that the LP was mastered by none other than Bob Ludwig. I always thought this sounded great -- and now I know why.

6. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Yeah! B-sides, 12" singles, and a DVD of the group's video program.(which was released only in England and Japan)

7. I just pulled this one out of the pile and listening to it for the first time. Excellent side one so far and beautiful sound quality. Sure sounds like a Bob Ludwig. Got it a Goodwill store for 99 cents somewhere along the way.

8. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

I have the original (?) "Pastmasters" JP Toshiba CD release from late 80's perhaps (maybe early 90s?) Anyhow, it sounds good but I always wondered if the U.S. remaster was any better (though I doubt it.) Any input on that would be appreciated. My fave tracks are "Missing" and "Lady Ice", and the ocarina on "El Diablo" is sublime...always wondered why LeBon didn't choose to play that instrument more often. On the Duran2 tour this past Summer they played "Election Day" (with John Taylor on a Roland key-tar bass of all things) and it still holds up well...would love to hear a whole set of Arcadia for next year's tour as it will be the 25th anniversary. Hopefully we'll get a remastered deluxe package too, like the current 'Rio' set and the forthcoming S/T, '7&TRT', and 'Notorious' ones next year...Nick has been teasing for it for years and 2010 is as good of a time as any.

Seek out "Heaven's Eyes" boot for most of the dance mixes and b-sides...presumably this will be incorporated into any re-release. And the mind boggles @ Arcadia in hi-rez surround....would love to see that on BD.

9. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

http://www.duranasty.com/news_home/home_b.htm

10. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Thanks for the link, man -- I'm definitely looking forward to this. And, I agree with Lady Ice and El Diablo. Missing is pretty good, but I rather prefer Goodbye is Forever and The Promise...

11. pymander

pymander New Member

I've go two UK copies now and both have a lot of crackle and ticks. I find these very annoying especially on the tracks of side B, which is my favorite album side.
    I guess the UK pressings are noisy? I've cleaned them on my Okki Nokki record cleaner
    with the Okki Nokki fluid and the L'Art du Son fluid, however no improvement.
    I guess I'll have to look further for a better copy.

12. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

"So Red The Rose" is a corker of an album IMHO ... especially side two. I've got the LP but I see there's a 2CD+DVD version on Amazon with lots o' remixes. Tempting.

--Geoff

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The re-issue has made me appreciate this album more than I did 25 years ago. Even though I was big into DD when it came out, it never did a lot for me, maybe because it felt like another DD album - Power Station showed branching out from those band members, while Arcadia was just DD from 3/5ths of DD. (Which would ironically become the situation for "legit DD" the following year!)

I now find a lot to like about Arcadia - I probably listened to the re-issue more than I ever listened to the original LP!

greelywinger likes this.
  14. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

I've got a copy of the U.S. Capitol vinyl and it sounds good. Great album and David Gilmour's guitar on"Missing" is sublime. Apparently Le Bon wrote the lyrics before he joined Duran.

Sean and ToEhrIsHuman like this.
  15. The Fan

The Fan Forum Resident

Haven't heard Election Day in years. :) I should correct that asap.

Sean and 51IS like this.
  16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Like Power Station better, need to revisit Arcadia's SRTR.

Darryl

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Love the album and would have liked a sequel!

Chapman likes this.
  18. Chapman

Chapman Member

Agree with Allmusic: The best Duran Duran album they never made.

Sean and proedros like this.
  19. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

I LOVE this record as it represents DD at their most arty Euro vibe and directly plunging into their Japan influences. Each track is a song and production joy and perfectly captures the feel of some wild 80's French party you crashed. "El Diablo" is an epic that you can use to show the musical stretch of the band.

So does anybody have the scoop on the definitive master? LP or CD?

20. Love this album ... love Sting backing vocals!!!

21. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

It's essentially the missing 1985 Duran Duran album. A fan of "Arcadia" and will be checking out the reissue

Thorpy likes this.
  22. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

Completely agree. I bought SRTR in '85 as a die-hard Duran fan, but didn't listen much beyond Election Day and The Flame. I rediscovered it around 2000, and when I stopped thinking of it as a partial-Duran side project, and more like the 1985 Duran album that should have been, I appreciated it more. Any word on the re-issue? Worth picking up?

23. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I'll revive this old thread - I just bought this on Japanese vinyl with the OBI strip. Amazing sounding. And it really does stand up with the other DD albums. Are the 12" singles worth tracking down? Any different mixes or songs that didn't make the album?

Side note - first time I ever made out was listening to this album.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Rob9874 and fallbreaks like this.
  24. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

At the time this was the most expensive album ever made. Or so I've read. The band rented several floors of a hotel in Paris and partied more than they recorded.

25. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I like the single mix of "The Flame"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.