Any love for Arcadia ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RevolutionDoctor, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CVernon1985

CVernon1985 Forum Resident

I really like Arcadia, more than any DD album apart from the debut. It was either self-described or described by someone else as "most pretentious album of all time" or something, which is ludicrous, but it may seem somewhat pretentious next to the meat n potatoesness of Power Station.

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I really love Keep Me In The Dark, The Flame and Say The Word

I think it's better than it gets credit for, but not as good as most of Duran's work from that era.

3. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

I think Arcadia & Power Station were the ying and yang of Duran Duran. The blue collar rock grit of John and Andy paired with the smooth and elegant Nick and Simon made Duran Duran something special.

4. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

Arcadia is so much the inner art spirit of Duran Duran any serious fan can't not love it -- and El Diablo is epic, a gothic western epic!
    I visited Jean Cocteau's house this weekend (again) and so much of his influence is in the video for "Election Day"....

As for 12 inch, the extended version of "Rose Arcana" is one of their best instrumentals.

5. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Yes, the 5 minute "Rose Arcana" makes it a better album.

6. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

If you like eighties era remixes then they're definitely worth tracking down. There was a deluxe edition on CD that compiled most of them if you don't feel like hunting down all the vinyl.

Sean, sentinel90125 and dividebytube like this.
  7. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Lots of love for Arcadia!
    This album sustained me when we had no new Duran Duran album. Moody, atmospheric, great production and Simon's vocals are top-notch.

8. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

Just playing my prize 12 inch (replete with shrink-wrap original Tower sticker) of "The Promise" and the extended "Rose Arcana" and the single version on the lp sounds amazing with a rich soundscape. It's been awhile since I played it but I wanted to test it out on my new Sansui 7001 and it must be one of the best sounding songs on any of the 12 inch mixes in my collection.

JeffMo and jamesc like this.
  9. Once I love two Arcadia: My Wife Arcadia and The Group Arcadia... now I love only One...

Curveboy likes this.
  10. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I got a mint LP copy for £2 at Bristol Record Fair. Replaced my old cassette version. A great album and one of the finest 80s artistic efforts. Arguably better than anything DD did.

11. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

I love this album. I was a major Duranie back in the day(they still put on an amazing show, I've seen them on tours for their most recent two albums) and while I liked some of the songs from Power Station I really adored Arcadia. It seemed a lot more original, I liked the lyrics better and it just had a great flow. I think The Promise and Missing were my favorites but I liked pretty much the whole album. Used to listen to it all the way through all the time.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  12. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

To me, it's as classic and indispensable as the first three Duran Duran albums.

Thorpy, Maurice and bataclan2002 like this.
  13. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Who knew the bastard child of Duran would be one of the best looking ones.

Sean, proedros and RevolutionDoctor like this.
  14. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Anyone have any bloody idea why the Deluxe version is so expensive now? Just an OOP situation? I bought an extra, not sure why....just sort of found it but I'm glad I did. My wife was watching "Funny Duran" clips on YT and some of them were from the filming of the "Goodbye Is Forever" video and it just spurred me to dive back into the album. I thought it was amazing back in the day and it hasn't aged a bit, still sounds so vibrant and creative. Also, was there ever a vinyl version of the remaster released? I don't remember looking for it back then and I just don't see it anywhere.

15. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

If Duran Duran were really smart they'd go on an Arcadia tour and do the whole LP at smaller venues as befits the Euro-club-caberat vibe...I think they would get a lot of attention and easily sell out everywhere. They don't need Andy Taylor while John Taylor was happily on the fringe of the record aand could add an extra bump to the show. I love his cameo in "The Flame" video (love Simon LeBon as Brad Majors)...

16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Man, I would love that! Or, them doing any of their early albums for that matter. They seem to be in perpetual touring mode so why not do some complete album shows?

JeffMo likes this.
  17. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

El Diablo & The Promise are my favorites,But the whole album is superb.

maywitch likes this.
  18. Talisman954

Didn’t they have some follow up material after the album release?
    Say The Word I think the song was called.

19. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

YES!! Four very good singles came from that album. A must-have album for Duran Duran fans.

20. Talisman954

Say The Word was not on the Uk original album.

21. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

It's wasn't on the original US album, either. It was a song from the soundtrack to the 1986 movie Playing For Keeps and was released as a single. The music video was just re-cut scenes from previous Arcadia videos.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  22. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I just watched the DVD that comes with the deluxe a couple of weeks ago. That inspired me to pull out the DVDs from the deluxe releases of Notorious, Big Thing, Seven And The Ragged Tiger, and the debut as well! And also the Live At Hammersmith '82 DVD released to coincide with the 2CD of Rio (I had always wished they would have re-done Rio in a box like those others). In fact, I wish they'd do one for the "Wedding album" as well...and...dare I say it...Liberty, too. Drives me crazy that the only way to see the video for "Violence Of Summer" on the Greatest DVD is by finding the Easter egg of the 17-minute EPK released to promote the album.

Havoc likes this.
  23. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

PLAYING FOR KEEPS is the best of the worst of the 80s with the Arcadia theme being the best thing about it. A hoot.

24. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

All those deserve a Deluxe treatment, even RCM couldn't be all that bad of a release if just to add Reportage.....or maybe Astronaut might make more sense? There's definitely a lot of material for them to mine and it just makes no sense to see the Wedding album command $200 on vinyl these days, especially with the realization that CD is at its end. Other than the questionable mastering, I'd say that the 1st album - Big Thing were treated fairly well even though the Rio release was puzzling. Paul McCartney figured it out, releasing his discography in colored vinyl, it's not that much of a mystery that people our age have embraced the medium again. My journey is more of my getting used to the fact that CD just might not be around so vinyl will be the only way of buying a physical format.

Surly likes this.
  25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

But it is on the 2010 re-issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.