Any love for Columbo?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by VU Master, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

My favorite episode of that era by far (Butterfly In Shades of Grey). That's one where you are just thrilled that the murderer is caught. Williams was absolutely perfect in that role...what an egotystical jerk, which is what that role called for. He was cast perfectly as the talkshow host. I like the woman who played his daughter as well. She was in a couple and always good. Great example of a fantastic script paired with the perfect actor. And Falk was hysterical in that one! Love the scene where he is trying to put the fire out at Shatner's office using his coffee. Ridiculous, and perfect Columbo mannerism. Sometimes you wonder how the actors and crew held back their laughs.

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That's why when my wife asks me why I buy TV DVD episodes/box sets, I point to Columbo and Monk as examples of shows that are often pulled. Our local Best Buy normally doesn't carry the Columbo set, but once in a while they will suddenly have a row of a pariticular year. Weird. I'm glad to own the box set. Somebody here has one in the classifeds...it's been sitting forever.

3. Another great moment in that show is the backhanded compliment Columbo gives Shatner's character where he asks for an autograph for his nephew who is a HUGE fan, followed by "it will mean a lot to him, he doesn't have much of a life". I love those moments.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That poor nephew! Columbo says that in a few episodes. His suck up to killers is pretty darn funny.

5. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

"Hey lieutenant. What about some chilli?"

[​IMG]

6. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Nimoy looks so cool in this jacket and turtleneck, on just about anyone else it would look terrible.

[​IMG]

ParloFax likes this.
  7. ^ Yes, and I love the outdoor party scene in this one. Nimoy is a great host, and will give you medications for aerophagia and write you a prescription at the drop of the hat! lol

Seriously, one other thing you can say about shows such as this one, and also All In The Family, is that the food being served in it, any food, always looks delicious... That is, even when you can barely see what's being eaten, and especially when Columbo can't find the time to finish it properly (not the case here, but it often is)! This never fails to drive me crazy with appetite...

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Other than that pencil thin mustache :)
    They showed that episode yesterday on ME.
    He played a shock radio guy, and the publicity poster of his character, in the background of the show was comedy gold.

wayne66 likes this.
  9. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I just watched that episode last night on Me-TV. :wave:

Hymie the Robot and Pete Puma like this.
  10. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Patrick McGoohan came back twice in the 90s era episode. I think the other episode he was a political figure. Possibly the guy who runs the candidate campaign. He was in a total of 4 Colombo's total. I heard that he was supposed to be in the final Columbo from 2007-08 period. It was intended as a farewell episode, but no network would pick it up. It was never done. That frustrated me at the time. I wonder if Peter Falk's health was already in decline?

tonyc and Hymie the Robot like this.
  11. 2008 is when he was photographed by a paparazzi, dishevelled and animated in the street, apparently looking for his car; not a pleasant sight it was... Was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease not long after that incident. I get the feeling that he aged rather quickly, going from being a slim man in the early 70s, kind of agile, running around and all that when needed, climbing stairs two-by-two, to acting and talking quite old in the late 80s, upon his comeback.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    wayne66 likes this.
  12. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Yeah, with something like Columbo, owning the discs is the only way to go. I recently upgraded to the Blu Ray set (from Japan) and was glad I did. (That reminds me that I have the complete series on DVD too, so now might be a good time to unload that.)

They used to have the series available on Amazon. A few years back, I purchased one of the episodes to see what it looked like in HD (just to see if it was worth getting the Blu Ray set). Now that they no longer provide the episodes on Amazon, I went back to see if I could still view my one episode purchase. Nope. That is gone too. I'm not sure how they can do that, if it's something you purchased. But it's proof that you can rely on any streaming services to be there when you need them in the future. You only truly own the series if you own the discs.

Jrr likes this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

She looks good too!

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I keep looking at that Japanese import. Cheapest I have seen it is $309 for a used one. It's a decent price if you divide it by the episode number but I don't watch about half of them. And I thought it woukd get a release here about a day after getting the Japanese with my luck, but with dvd sales way down maybe not. Very tempting!

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I will never 'buy' to own a digital film. I don't get it. I buy Deadliest Catch, but I cut the cord so it's way cheaper, and it's worth it to me. But I will only watch them once and for $30 for the season it's fair imo.

16. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

17. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Meant to say it's proof that you can't rely on streaming services.

18. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Totally obsessed, and have been since childhood.

19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I wasn't a real fan the first time around, but after watching some recently I did enjoy them, not sure a steady diet would set well with me though.

20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

The mustache really looked odd on him.

Jrr and Hymie the Robot like this.
  21. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

:love:
    Who's looking at his clothes with Nita Talbot on his arm?!

spanky1 likes this.
  22. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

HMM had a free preview last Sunday and they showed nine episodes in a row. I recorded them all.

Scopitone likes this.
  23. 10 favorite episodes list: The Best Columbo Episodes
    Murder By The Book -Jack Cassidy
    Now You See Him -Jack Cassidy
    A Friend In Deed -Richard Kiley
    Any Old Port in a Storm -Donald Pleasance
    Negative Reaction -Dick Van Dyke
    Swan Song -Johnny Cash
    Etude in Black -John Cassavetes
    Prescription Murder -Gene Berry
    Double Exposure -Robert Culp
    Death Lends a Hand -Robert Culp

I got to admit I agree with at least 8 of these 10 choices.

24. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

probably gay people like me

25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I love the debut, columbo's character is still being formed and a great murder/set up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.