Any new cassette recorders out there?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by patrickd, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks folks but it’s been 18 months since I posted this and like all teenagers, my son’s interests have moved on :) Might have to pick up a used serviced model though for myself!

2. harby

harby Forum Resident

Still, being way out of patent, no license needed. It could be called "B noise reduction" without the Dolby Trademarked name.

3. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Playback equalisation is the same for type II and type IV tapes. Any deck capable of playing type II is therefore also capable of playing type IV, and since type IV cassette shells must also have the notches of type II, an automatic deck would treat it correctly. So as long as it doesn't claim recording on metal tapes, it doesn't need any extra circuiry and no extra sensors to do that.

vwestlife likes this.
  4. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

But AFAIK parts of Dolby B NR's exact design are still a trade secret. Without that information, at best you can only come up with a close approximation, like JVC's ANRS, or the "D NR" mode of Telefunken's High-Com, which used a single half of the Dolby double-D logo to indicate that it was only compatible with Dolby NR playback, not recording.

[​IMG]

anorak2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.