Any Okki Nokki users dealt with their unit randomly dying?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Got one in the first week of December. I've used it sparingly since then and have never gone through any cleaning marathons. My routine was cleaning one side and playing it, then cleaning the next side and playing that.

Today, the platter was spinning and 2 secs after activating the vacuum, it just died. For no reason whatsoever. Emptied it, tried it in other outlets, etc. It's just dead. I already contacted the retailer to see what can be done to have it replaced.

Has anybody ever run into this?

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Five years of a lot use and no issues.

sound chaser likes this.
  3. Helom

Helom Forum member

Does the vacuum portion still function?

4. Strat-Mangler

Nope. It's completely dead.

5. RaoulD

RaoulD Forum Resident

Check the fuse. It could be as simple as that.

eddiel likes this.
  6. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

My first one died after 10 months. Got a replacement and it has worked flawless for nearly 2 years.

7. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

older ones made in europe , newer ones now made in china

8. RONENRAY

RONENRAY Forum Resident

I have the okki nokki for many years without a problem.
    It 's one of the first generation.

9. Strat-Mangler

Mine is a new one.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

There's a few things.

First, like @RaoulD suggested, check the fuse.

Second, something could've gone wrong with the auto shut off feature in the tank. There's a float in the tank that is meant to cut power if it fills up to much. Not sure what the new machines use in that regard but if that's failing then it could be cutting the power. I do know that at some point they did change the auto shut off and they had problems and they changed it again and it seemed to have corrected the problem. But you never know, your new version might just have a dud. BTW, this happened to me in the old metal arm version but it was my fault. I cleaned out the tank and the float mechanism but assembled it incorrectly.

Third, assuming nothing works at all the power supply could be caput. If you've got a voltage meter you can check if power is actually getting to the unit and if the power supply is working. But if point 2 above is happening then it might give you a false positive in this case because the readings I got were that the power supply was broken and it turned out that the auto shut off was broken hence no power out of the power board.

But since it's under warranty you probably don't need to worry to much about it at this point since you should get a replacement/repair. But it's worth learning a bit anyway :)

11. Strat-Mangler

How do I get access to it? I didn't get a spare one with my purchase. What type would I need to get to replace the one which came with it?

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Not sure where they are on the new ones. Did you check the manual?

The old ones had the fuse in the IEC male socket on the ON (where the plug goes into). It should look something like this: http://www.futurlec.com/Pictures/IECMALESOCKFUSE.jpg

Take a small flat screw driver and insert it in and pry it open slowly. IIRC mine actually had a spare in there, which is actually quite rare so maybe I'm not remember correctly.

The old fuse will be marked to show its rating so just get another with the same rating.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. RaoulD

RaoulD Forum Resident

If I remember right, the fuse is located somewhere near on/off switch. It's quite visible. At least it is in my older model. I don't know if they have changed it later. I'm not in home right now, so I can't check the fuse type.

14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Sounds like fuse to me...

Agitater likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

A couple of sources hinted at a spare being included inside. Hope that's true so I can get back up and running quickly.

If that's all it is, I'll put in an order for more fuses after.

16. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Bought mine about four years ago. Didn't use it right away, maybe about six months. When I did start to use it I had an issue with it only working for one side of an LP. When I tried to clean another side it wouldn't start. I'd plug it in and you could hear the unit engage, but the switch wouldn't make the TT spin or turn on the vacuum. If I unplugged it, let it sit for an hour or so, then plugged it in again, I could clean another side. I later found that if I gave the unit a solid slap on the side it would begin to work, but I had to do that each time I cleaned a record. Then it eventually stopped working altogether. By that time my warranty had expired.

Tried to find some place to have a look at it. Finally my local audio shop said their tech would check it out. It took about five months to finally get a replacement for a circuit board. I just paid for labour. It's been working fine since.

17. Try1256

Try1256 Forum Resident

Mine had a bad power cord. It would just stop. The iec connector was real loose and not making a good connection. They sent a new cord and all is well.

18. Strat-Mangler

I did get access to the fuse and I can confirm its filament is clearly broken so the fuse is dead. However, I can't seem to figure out how to remove the fuse tray! Nor how to replace the fuses.

Zero indication whatsoever in the manual or online. Can anybody help?

19. Strat-Mangler

@HenryH & @Try1256 I tagged you guys as well in case either of you could assist me with the post above. Thanks! :)

20. Strat-Mangler

Had to be creative to find instruments with which to push the fuses out since I couldn't find any way to remove the tray.

Thankfully, I'm back up and running now!

eddiel and ssmith3046 like this.
  21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Good deal. I gave mine a workout yesterday.

22. Strat-Mangler

Now to figure out how to eliminate the drips.

23. Strat-Mangler

And through this process, I managed to lose my clamp! This kind of crap only seems to happen to me.

I'm fuming right now as I'll have to spend money to get back what I had yesterday! Spent a whole hour looking for it.

UGH!!!

24. Try1256

Try1256 Forum Resident

I am not sure where the fuse is in mine. The power cord was the only problem I had.

25. keeso

keeso New Member

I have the same problem with the fuse blowing. You can't remove the tray. You can push out the old fuse with a paperclip and push in the new one with your finger. I just spoke with Justin at Okki Nokki and he indicated that some of the US machines were shipped with a fuse for the European machine. He is contacting the factory tomorrow and letting me know. It might need a 10 amp fuse instead of the 5 amp it shipped with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.