Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I LIKE Goldberg. I liked him in WCW and in the "E" in 04. I like him NOW as an attraction. Boy seriously needs to work up his cardio though.
    "Gillberg" just pissed me off. It was NOT Duane's idea, and he didn't want to do it.

MikeInFla likes this.
  2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I'm a little surprised by that unless he did not want to upset Goldberg. It was probably the only memorable thing he did his whole career.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Duane Gill was a good worker. I put him about the same level as Justin Credible. There was never going to be a real place for him in WWF after they stopped using jobbers. So Duane worked the indys and other places. The call from WWE was unexpected. He hated the whole idea as he was tired of being a joke, and he thought it was disrespectful. It felt like them dressing up a midget. He needed the money, bottom line. He has long since reached out to Bill and apologized, Bill understands and doesn't hold a grudge. It was the Monday Night Wars after all.

RayS and tonyc like this.
  4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Before we get into the Rumble I just saw this on the Torch. AJ Styles first WWE match from 2002.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes they past on styles and tons of other great wrestlers like christopher daniels, bobby roode and the young bucks multiple times before bringing them in full time or some of them never making it

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Goldberg just "un-monstered" Brockaly AGAIN!!!!

Sammy Banderas and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Well THAT sucked. Orton?

MikeInFla and Sammy Banderas like this.
  8. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

What a weird Rumble. I like the idea of Reigns vs. Taker at Wrestlemania and they're still building Lesnar vs. Goldberg. But I have no idea why Orton had to win in 2017.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I am pissed. I expected Joe.

MikeInFla likes this.
  10. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

Orton?! Surprised me.

11. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

There was no surprise entrants this year. Which was weird.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Guess the rumors were right, but I still don't understand the thinking here. Would have preferred somebody else.

I think tomorrows RAW will bring in at least a couple of new Wrestlers and explain the direction moving forward a bit better.

13. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I read the results. I would have been upset, too, if I watched all of it just to see Orton win. And I'm already tired of Cena's latest reign. Too bad Flair is too old to battle for #17.

I thought they were building to Undertaker vs Cena? I guess Undertaker is going to be around awhile if they are holding off on that.

I wonder if Lesnar vs Goldberg at WrestleMania is going to be a career vs career match?

14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Cena-AJ stole the show once again. Cena looked legitimately moved that the crowd of smarks who generally hate him showed so much respect for his performance.

I thought the Rumble match itself was a perfect example of how over-the-hill (well two of them are, anyway) part-timers block the path of younger guys. Whatever drama there was with the guys in the ring (Zayn making a strong showing, Dillinger being a big surprise and having an impact, the Wyatt Family dynamic) all went out the window when it came time for Brock-Goldberg-Taker. Like nobody else really matters. It looks like Goldberg can't go more than a couple of minutes, can't do but two moves, and has it in his contract that he won't take a bump. Really starting to hate the guy. I keep thinking of Kevin Nash's comment about getting Goldberg ready to take the belt off of Hogan - "We couldn't get 10 minutes out of him at a house show".

After the Brock-Enzo-Goldberg-Taker run at 26-29, you knew 30 could't just be a random mid-carder ... I actually liked having Reigns there. It was a nice swerve - "Oh no, they're going to shove him down our throats again!" - so when it DIDN'T play out that way, it at least provided a little drama.

Can't say I get the strategy of having Joe sit in the audience for Takeover, then not be in The Rumble. I thought maybe he would somehow get involved Saturday night to set up a 3 way feud at the top in NXT, but clearly we're headed for a Roode-Nakamura program (and rightly so) for the next few months. Gotta think Joe premieres tonight or tomorrow.

MikeInFla likes this.
  15. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Lesnar vs Goldberg at WrestleMania XX is listed at about 14 minutes from bell to bell. So, it can be done if they want to try it again.

16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Terrible match. Neither gave their best. At least Goldberg left with his head up having fulfilled his year contract. Brockaly was the quitter, so plans were changed and he was booked to lose. I have to wonder if this new program is another shot at Brock. Yeah you got a big push, now get humbled. Thats an order.

17. RayS

This is all a build to Brock going over at WM and Goldberg going home for good.

18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

And how do you see that going over? Goldberg will probably be HOF bound next year.
    Gotta say I was worried for Sami taking the jackhammer.Its a hell of a move that I've been told is similar to being in a car wreck. You cannot protect yourself and must count on Bill to just make it look good without killing you. I was told they were glad it was the end of the match because they were done for the night. They called it "a manly bump".

19. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think they both know the current gameplan for the run, with Brock eventually getting a big win over Goldberg. I doubt that the WM match will be as short as their last two encounters. I will say that Goldberg has made out 1000x better than Sting did during his WWE run. Losing to HHH made no sense whatsoever, in my opinion.

20. RayS

I held my breath when he gave Sami the jackhammer because I feared he was really going to hurt him. I think Goldberg was already gassed, hence it being sloppy.

Despite rumor to the contrary (rumor being that he initially signed on for a "one off"), Goldberg must have agreed to a 3 PPV deal upfront, or there's no way he goes over in the first match. With the deal coming to an end, there's no way he goes over at WM against one of your biggest stars who is continuing with the company. And if Goldberg suddenly decided he wanted to come back full time, what on Earth could they do with him? Two-move squash matches show after show?

21. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

The current rumor is that Owens will drop the universal title to Goldberg and Goldberg will head into Wrestlemania as champ defending against Lesnar. I just don't think this is true. The Goldberg/Lesnar fued doesn't need a title involved.

22. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Interesting.... I was hoping for Joe to be involed. Joe vs KO or Joe VS AJ.... What I thought would happen in the Rumble is that Joe would make an appearance but NOT in the Rumble. I thought he would show up during the AJ/Cena match and help AJ win then turn on AJ for a set up at WM. Ahhhh but I can only imagine.

23. RayS

Well, AJ certainly needs something to do for WM (if Cena has Orton), and at the moment that's not clear. Perhaps part of a multi-man ladder match for the IC title?

24. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Dave Melzer reported on Wrestling Observer Radio (via Wrestling Inc) that the current plan for the Universal title is to have Goldberg fight Kevin Owens at WWE Fastlane (March 5). Goldberg would then move on to defend against Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania 33.

Owens is set to defend against Sami Zayn at WWE live events heading into Fastlane, which would presumably become non-title after Fastlane, as they’re still scheduled. Goldberg doesn’t work live events, so if he wins the title, this will be the third year in a row a world title wasn’t defended at live events before Wrestlemania. Triple H went into Wrestlemania 32 as the WWE World Heavyweight Champion and Lesnar did the same before Wrestlemania 31. Neither worked live events at that time.

Meanwhile, Roman Reigns and Braun Strowman are set to fight at house shows leading into Wrestlemania, and their match will headline those RAW events. However, the plan is still for Reigns to fight The Undetaker at the event. It was previously reported in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that neither AJ Styles nor Kevin Owens would be champion heading into Wrestlemania.

RayS likes this.
  25. RayS

Maybe David Arquette and Judy Bagwell have one last run left in them.

905, Mr. H and MikeInFla like this.