Any recent MFSL, AP or AF, etc. hybrid SACD's that you do NOT recommend?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

just my personal experiences (online) with SB and RLV......

P.S. I never had problems with the customer service.

2. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

Just teasing you, itts all good

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Actually I have had several rather pleasant and informative one-on-one conversations with SB over the years. I have always found him to be open and honest.

rxcory and GroovinGarrett like this.
  4. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

At least AP and MoFi are, for the most part, transparent about their sources.

5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Has anyone been able to compare this MFSL to the 24/96 download?

6. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Patsy Cline SACD is an abomination! The 2003 red book release is leaps and bounds ahead of the SACD. More than anything, the SACD makes Patsy's velvety, honey-filled voice sound thin and reedy, for the lack of better words. An absolute disgrace to Patsy Cline.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yep, they Only Come Out at Night is a sonic disaster. All TREBLE!! One of the worst mastering jobs of all time.

trumpetplayer likes this.
  8. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

They were very polite when replying to my email's

9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

If it's not recorded properly in the first place, there's only so much a good mastering job can do. Not quick to lay blame from here.

d.s.l. likes this.
  10. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

No-one else seems to have mentioned it, but I was unimpressed with AP's SACD of Tea for the Tillerman - the EQ choices seemed wrong. Did George Marino really complete this, or did someone less talented take over the reins? Doesn't seem up to his previous standards.

trumpetplayer likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wow, really? I thought that one got great reviews. Was going to grab it at some point.

Is the 45 rpm lp set sucky too?

12. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Sorry, but I have no idea about the 45.

To my ears, the 2003 redbook is the clear winner between the digital versions.

13. That one never sounded right to my ears. I think its poor reception killed any chance we'd see more Cat Stevens on SACD.
    I liked the Patsy Cline SACD.

14. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

The SACD that has disappointed me most is the Mo-Fi Marshall Crenshaw.

Very thin sounding, no bass, not much midrange, just tinny treble.

Tullman likes this.
  15. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I think your criticism of this disc is way too harsh. The website's description reads...

Mastered at Sterling Sound direct from the 1/4-inch master tape. This was a straight transfer, bypassing the console altogether. There was no EQ of any kind. A true direct transfer. You're hearing the master tape!

16. mrob0000

mrob0000 Forum Resident

I gotta say that the Audio Fidelity gold CD of The Cars - Heartbeat City is a true sonic masterpiece... ear candy for sure. 'Great tonal and frequency balance and solidity in the subterranean regions. It's delivers a big dose of reality, just like as if the Cars are playing in your living room (warm, tubey, lifelike.) 'And the Black Sabbath - Paranoid on SHM SACD is not bad at all... it's actually quite nice. It's just that it was mastered from the best Japanese tape copy instead of the UK master. But it is still a good listen! Yes, the SHM CD that was mastered from the original UK master tape does sound marginally better in some ways (I have them both,) but the SHM SACD is very good, very much like the original Japan LP. I do not think it is a good idea to place something in the sh_t pile just because you have found a version that you like better. In real life, most things are not simply hot or cold, black or white, good or bad. I sure would not want to be that judgemental.

17. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

A lot of people dislike the Paranoid SHM-SACD, including myself. The problem is not with the tape source, but with the mastering.

Tullman likes this.
  18. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Would anyone place Dusty in Memphis in this category?

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the original vinyl and CD the difference in sound between the SACD and vinyl is night and day. The vinyl has nice full balance, the SACD is tinny. I don't think it is the recording, in this case. I grew up with this title and I was appalled when hearing the MFSL SACD. I have other titles by the same mastering engineer at MFSL that I think are brilliant. I don't know what happened with the Edgar Winter SACD.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

'
    Pretty much the same sound as the Edgar Winter title.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The problem might be the HDCD encoding with Heartbeat City. I Think it sounds good on my HDCD players.

BIG ED likes this.
  22. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Surely not, it's the best I've heard it sound. Kevin Gray never disappoints.

23. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Interesting. I have a "private" DTS conversion from a quadraphonic source of They Only Come Out At Night. The sound balance isn't perfect, but it's a helluva lot better than the Marshall Crenshaw.

24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

You aren't owed anything by the likes of Sterling or Mofi or AP. Just buy from them and pay full SRP. No questions asked.

(sarcasm)

therockman likes this.
  25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

This view is unfair or otherwise harmful to those who might be interested in some of the Verve titles. In fact, I avoided them for some time based on this sort of feedback. I have my doubts that Marino was actually involved. In any event, I'd be willing to wager that you can find a few of the Verve to be fantastic.

SteelyTom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.