Any Roku/Direct TV NOW users? I'm considering this - had some questions.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Erik Tracy, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale Thread Starter

Any Roku users here?

I am HIGHLY motivated to cut the cord, but had some questions if you don't mind sharing your experience.

1. I'll be forced to connect my Roku via wifi. Any wifi tricks or tips to be aware of? And do you get reliable/consistent viewing?

2. From the channel look up tool, I can get most of my local stations. Is there anything special I need to do to 'sign up' or enable these, or are they included automatically?

3. The only station I'm not entirely sure of is CBS. I've read that CBS On Demand is included, but local CBS broadcasts are market specific in limited areas - is that still true?

TIA!

I soooo can't wait to tell Wrecktum to pound sand.

ALAN SICHERMAN likes this.
  2. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

We've been using it for a couple of months now, and like it for the most part. We have to use a digital antenna to get the local channels. Never had any problems with it acting up (so far!). For us, we subscribed to Playstation Vue as our primary source of having channels, and we also stream Amazon Prime and Netflix through it. As I understand it, for the CBS channel is like 5 bucks a month.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Regarding number 1. I would recommend running an ethernet cord directly from your router to Roku. Connecting it wirelessly will work, and might work well depending on your internet speed, but I have a pretty fast connection and I still see some hiccups when I use the wifi instead of cord. You can pick up a 50 or 100 foot cord on ebay for a reasonable price (if needed).

Regarding number 2. I don't get any of my local stations streamed through roku. If I want to watch the locals I have to switch over to the 'TV' setting (outside of roku) and use the Over The Air antenna that I purchased. I don't bother with CBS All Access, but get some of the other network shows via Hulu.

Regarding 3. You can access the CBS All Access app which allows you to watch shows the day after they air for free...you can unlock additional content for a monthly fee.

You can also download a number of cable channel apps that allow you to watch some recent content for free.

I'd also recommend checking out the Sling app. It has a few tiers of service, but allows you to watch dozens of cable channels in real time (just like regular cable) and has buckets of on demand content.

Oh -- and you have a friend or family member that is sticking with cable or satellite, you might be able to use their login info to access tons more content (like ESPN). I suppose that's cheating, but I'll leave that up to you to decide.

So I stick with the basics all the time: Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sling...and then add and remove pay sites such as HBO To Go, Showtime, Starz, etc as needed. My total bill runs under $40 a month usually depending on the premium channels that I'm hooked into at the time and there's so much content I never have a problem finding something to watch.

If you love the news channels and sports you'll have to get creative...

4. Erik Tracy

Sorry - meant to include that I'm thinking of getting DirectTV Now to get a low cost content package. I modified the thread title.

DirectTV Now includes local (most) stations.

Can't wire up all the desired rooms directly - not possible. So 2 of the 3 rooms have to be wifi.

5. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Benno123 likes this.
  6. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I've been using Roku for about 1o years now. I use wifi with no problem. For local stations you go to the "streaming channels" and look through them or do a search. For CBS - the networks have one or more channels but they don't give you live streaming tv, just a sampling of shows to watch on demand last I checked and the other networks are the same. The networks do have their own news channels. CNN and Fox both stream live and have some shows on demand. There are also people putting up their own channels and streaming content that they don't have the rights to stream. I found a news channel set up by some guy and his channel has live streaming MSNBC, Bloomberg and other news related channels - the streams I've checked run 30 minutes behind the live broadcasts. So if you poke around the Roku channels you can find all kinds of stuff, legit and not legit. I don't do this often, but I'm surprised by what's on the Roku when I look around.

7. Erik Tracy

I got my Roku Stick Plus today, got it up and running, got a free trial acc't with DirecTV Now, linked in a bunch of channels, getting some local channels but no CBS.

If I search Roku for CBS I get a hit list with CBS HD On Demand at the top - unfortunately it says "Not on Roku Yet".

DirecTV lists CBS as part of the basic low cost package, which I got the trial subscription for, but it isn't in any DirecTV Now channel listing.

When I search for it on DirecTV Now, all I get is a box to subscribe to the CBS Sports Network channel.

?

8. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I just searched "CBS" under "Search Channels" I see CBS All Access, CBS Sports, CBS News, CBS46 News and CBS 7. I assume those last 2 are local CBS channels. You have to log in on All Access so that probably means they want you to have something like DirectTV. I did watch the Super Bowl on NBC on the Roku and I didn't have to use a log in, so I assume the networks might be slowly moving towards that model. I have a DirectTV password but I rarely use it. I use my Roku box and a Plex Media Server program (free) and I serve content on my computer to my TV via the Roku.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. Erik Tracy

CBS All Access is a pay/subscription.

I thought I read that DirecTV Now was offering CBS On Demand across all area markets, but CBS live was only in limited areas.

So, I was hoping to at least get CBS On Demand and live with the day delay in getting access to their major shows.

I also 'figured out' that some PBS content is available for free by linking the PBS app to your DirecTV Now subscription and entering and activation code from the screen to a web browser.

However, the prime time shows, like Victoria, are "Passport Members" only - ie, you have to pay for these ($5/month).

10. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

The fact that any PBS content at all requires a subscription just seems wrong to me on so many levels.

jriems, jamesc and Benno123 like this.
  11. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I noticed the Passport thing maybe six months ago - that's new. I watch Frontline, Nova and American Experience and a couple others so the Passport doesn't bother me, but I think you need it for some American Masters. NowhereMan used to scrape the PBS web site and everything was streaming and it was a much better site to use. Now I'm looking at Frontline and they can't even put the episodes in the correct order - nice job PBS. I just checked American Masters and they've added a few episodes in the last 6-9 months - wow, awesome. The PBS news has their own channel and it has to be easier to use than the main channel if you want to watch their news.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  12. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

We ditched the cable tv at our summer lake house and added WiFi. I hate that it’s through Spectrum still but 30 Mbps for $15 for the first year is fine. It is what it is. I bought a Roku stick, used a code to add DircTV Now for $10 for the first three months, then $35 afterwards - that gets us through half the season at $30 for 60 live cable channels. The downside is no local channels but I can stream local news via the channel app. I tried an indoor Clearstream antenna recommended to me and it did nothing, even after moving it around. If we decide to do an antenna I will need to get a good one and install outside. (Being half way between Toledo and Cleveland I would like to at some point.) So far I am happy with DirecTV Now and happy I can also use it at home, too.

Side note: at our main home we signed up for the Spectrum app that is approx $20 a month because we were having issues pulling in local channels. We seem to be right at the cusp and either not trying powerful enough antenna or can’t pull in. I was told when I specifically asked if I could use this app on a Roku if we added WiFi at our lake place and was told absolutely. Found out that was not true. When I called about the sign in issues and was told that I asked why they would give out false info. The response: “Our agents are trained to use various sales tactics to close sales.” WTF???

13. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Did you get Pluto TV as well? It's free, but if memory serves there's a CBS channel on it. I've not used it, but I believe I've seen it listed. Either way, Pluto is a good channel to add.

Benno123 likes this.
  14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Just saw this thread @Erik Tracy . I was an early subscriber to DirecTV Now and have been using it since the end of 2016. I joined during a special they were running - the Go Big package regular price of $60/month for $35/month, indefinitely. Plus a free Gen 4 Apple TV. Around 16 months in and still paying the $35 monthly rate for the Go Big package. Also got another bonus last year - one free year of HBO as a thank you for joining early. That recently expired but I decided to keep it by paying and extra $5/month. I have the Apple TV hooked up wired to my router, and am using wireless Roku units to access it in two bedrooms. On top of that I also pay for MLB.TV (one team, gotta watch the Yankees), but that's not related to DirecTV Now.

The positive is obviously the price. And I'm generally happy with the service - very few service interruptions. Fox is the only local channel I'm getting, and aside from missing The Late Show I really don't miss the network channels. The only way I can pull them in over the air is with a rooftop antennae, which I refuse to do.

The negative - yeah I wish I could get the other locals, but as I I mentioned I am getting by fine without them. The main negative is the lack of a DVR. I know they're piloting one now, and I tried to get in on the pilot program but didn't get selected. Hopefully they'll roll that out sooner rather than later. The other negative is their channel guide is quite lame. Too slow to get from here to there. I think there's a way to mark your "favorites" and that might make things easier, but I haven't messed around with that. Truth be told we just don't watch a ton of TV

Erik Tracy likes this.
  15. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Sounds interesting. You might can pick up the Late Show on YouTube, I've seen it on there. You can also pick up some programming from the Comedy Channel, and Bill Maher's show, if you just subscribe to them, via YT. It may not have the entire program, it may just be the opening dialogue, etc. But it's worth it. I use a local antennae, which I bought cheaply on Amazon. If you are about 60 miles from a big city you can pull in everything major and some extra stuff depending on the city you are near. I get the Grit Channel, and Me TV. If you enjoy horror check out Shockwerks on Roku. They sometimes have very cheesy horror, but some of it is obscure and okay. PlayOn makes a DVR compatible for some of that. I got one sometime back, but quite honestly don't use it much; PlayOn

16. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Thanks Morpheus. My package DTVN package includes the Comedy Channel, so I'm set there, and I do get HBO so I can watch Bill Maher, John Oliver, and anything else on HBO. I do occasionally watch various Late Show clips on YT. But I'll definitely check out Shockwerks, thanks for the recommendation.

17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I am wondering if Roku shares are worth investing? Anyone here owns Roku stock?

18. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I saw them listed on MSNBC stock show the other day, and thought the same thing. I have Roku and use it quite a bit these days. I haven't looked at the statistical data. Really on Roku I mainly watch three or four channels. That whole sector has gotten pretty competitive, however, with Netflix the 100 lb. gorilla in the room, and also Amazon.

Looking at Yahoo finance and Google finance, there is some data missing to make any sound judgements. Most importantly the PE ratio (something below 20 is average, so below that figure is better), and the EPS (earning per share) there's not much. Yahoo shows it to be -.59, which generally you'd like that to be in the positive. Plus it has no dividend, and it's at its highs. I'd pass. Here's a good learning tool to the market:

19. coopmv

Roku really sells itself as an aggregator of contents while Netflix only provides members its own contents. Roku is something more akin to Apple TV, where Apple has the same intention to control what appear on the platform and gets the contents for next to nothing like what it did with iTunes and sinking the music industry in the process. The TV and video contents providers obviously are a bit smarter now so the Apple TV never took off meaningfully. I am not sure if I want to take a bet as I am retired and do not want to take on any undue investment risk. Yahoo Finance is often a hit or miss since it is free and many of its providers now want to sign up paid subscribers for any in-depth analysis ...

20. Erik Tracy

DirecTV Now has added CBS in their lineup.

So, at this point I can stream pretty much everything I want via my Roku devices.

We have Amazon Prime (first for all the free shipping for my wife's shopping addic..... hobby) and they added a bunch of PBS content for free.

But, I can get KPBS locally OTA for the upstairs TV for live broadcasts.

I'm now in a debate/discussion for whether we really need to keep the phone and current number and go VOIP.

After that - I'm pulling out the shears and cutting off Wrecktum except for cable.

21. I’ve heard that PBS channels aren’t part of streaming services like DirectTV, Youtube, Hulu etc. as they don’t have streaming rights for a lot of the scripted shows they air.

I thought I read that DirectTV streaming now offers local network feeds in major markets, does anyone here know for sure?

22. Erik Tracy

I get most local channels in San Diego with DirecTV Now - live broadcasts:
    * KNSD (NBC)
    * KGTV (ABC)
    * KFMB (CBS - just added)
    * KUSI (Fox)

I don't get the subchannels for these like MeTV, Laff, Cozi, etc via DirecTV Now, but I can get these OTA.

And I don't get KPBS via DirecTV Now.

Shawn likes this.
  23. Thanks. I'm going to try the 1 week trial of DirectTV and YouTube TV to see which of the two I like better (I'm hoping one of these two does a special promotion soon, like the free Apple TV one mentioned up-thread). Then it's time to cancel cable.

24. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I'm not sure what you mean by Netflix only provides members its own content. Do you mean movies, etc. that they only make? If so, that's incorrect. That may be what they are shooting for, but if that's true I think they would be doomed for failure and I would sell my shares. I don't agree that iTunes sunk the music industry either...there are many theories, but I would say multiple things did ie. greedy music companies, illegal downloading, even the music companies themselves, etc. I'm retired too and tend to be less risk oriented. I like solid companies with a decent dividend ie. T, MO, KO, MO, MCD, JNJ, UNP etc. If you think Yahoo Finance is hit or miss try Google Finance, there are others as well that can help you screen stocks. If you have a broker they should have such tools as well. Roku may be an aggregator, but a lot of what they provide is domain free content, which you can find on YouTube, archive.org, or other places. It's not very good content, production, or clarity. Some of the channels they handle are fly by night, and suffer all the qualities of that the biggest being buffering or too many commercials for the free content. I watch Roku from time to time, but they are no competition imo for Netflix, Amazon, or some others.

25. coopmv

What else does Netfilx show other than movies/documentaries it has produced? I have heard Disney has already terminated providing original contents to Netflix since Disney will be starting its own video streaming service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.