Any thoughts on the new VPI Scout turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KLM, Apr 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLM

KLM Senior Member Thread Starter

I was just wondering if anyone has auditioned the new VPI Scout turntable with the JMW 9 tonearm. This looks like a winner and the price of $1300 can't be beat (with tonearm). I have a VPI 19 mk III and didn't know if the Scout with a couple of its upgrades would be worth having. It's suppose to be a mini Aries as the Aries is suppose to be a mini TNT.

Any thoughts....

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Here's what the owner of VPI had to say a few weeks ago about it on Audio Asylum:

"The Scout on E-bay does not exist. The person selling it has never seen, felt, listened to, or owned an Aries Scout. Do not bid on it as it does not exist from this person. The only one in the US who knows what a Scout/JMW-9 sounds like is me.
    The Scout will begin shipping in two weeks so any comments on the sound of the Scout before that is pure BS. Full info on the Scout is available at the VPI website. If you have read the review of the pre-production Scout in the British magazine HiFi+ you know he loved the table. The real production units are even better with an inverted main bearing, newly modified motor, and removable tonearm wand. Enjoy your vinyl.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the Scout with the Grado Sonata and the Dynavecor 20X-H. Slightly higher than your question but close enough to be valid. They sound different, with the Grado being really top notch in the midrange and good in the rest of the range, while the Dyna tracks better and has greater soundstage depth. Tough choice but the Dyna gives me more goosebumps."

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.