Any tips for removing/preventing "foxing" from album sleevs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Porkpie, Apr 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone have any tips for removing/preventing "foxing" from an album cover. I've noticed it on one of my albums and want to prevent it getting worse and possible remove it. I've read a q-tip lightly moistened in oxiclean (Vanish) would help but don't want to risk bleaching it too white or it eating into the cover.

(I tried to insert a photo but can't figure out how on earth to do it, either on the phone or desktop - the image link in the message settings asks for a URL - anyone know how to do this? The photo is just on my computer, not online)

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You have to upload the photo from your computer to an online storage location. Then you link that location to your post via that message box asking for the url, which should be the address of your uploaded photo. You can't upload directly to this server as it eats huge amounts of bandwidth.

-Bill

3. What is "foxing"? I've never heard that descriptor.

alexpop likes this.
  4. Porkpie

I tried to uploada photo from a dropbox url and just got IMG in my message :shake:

It's an orange/brown marking due to the aging of certain card/paper

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Try Imgur or Photobucket or something like that.

I'm still not sure what you're talking about exactly. Could it have something to do with the gloss lamination commonly found on vintage UK album covers?

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

This forum html might work a bit differently from some other websites. It should work if you use the drop down box with the image icon and paste in the exact url of the image. That inserts some formatting along with the link to embed it here. I'm not a coder, so that's just my best guess!

Not sure what can be done about the discoloration without side effects; probably nothing. Basically, if you use a chemical to change some property, say the color of a substrate, you can change the property of the substrate itself. That can be a non-reversible side effect and is of course your concern and the reason for the question. The trouble is that paper is porous and the staining is deeper than the surface. So you might find something to cover it or to bleach it a bit, but the process will involve the paper absorbing fluid, which may have other effects on it, now or even in the future. I'd just enjoy it as a badge of honor for it having made it thus far and consider it to have added character to the item.
    -Bill

Manimal and Porkpie like this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Foxing"
    Bend ?
    Stain ?
    Fold ?
    Sexy ?

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  8. harby

harby Forum Resident

Upload to imgur.com (no account needed). Then right click on the picture after it's uploaded, and choose "copy image location" (or your browser's equivalent). Paste that URL into the image toolbar icon's dialog box.

9. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

:)
    Think of it as "patina" :) Or building character.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  10. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Like this?

[​IMG]

REMOVING FOXING AND MILDEW

Porkpie likes this.
  11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

12. Porkpie

[​IMG]

(Thanks Harby for the tip!!)

This is the issue, below the word "love" and to the right side of it. The rest of the cover is fine accept for another small mark near the top.

13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

From what I've read it's not totally known what causes it. Diluted peroxide to lasers to repair? Leave it to the sands of time and forget about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.