Any way to make Raspberry Pi sound better?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raq0915, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all! after getting my receiver recently, Ive decided to use my raspberry pi 3 as a music player. For those that dont know what a raspberry pi is, NO it is NOT food! Its a tiny-affordable computer. Currently have Kodi running on it. Does anyone know if there are maybe modules for it to make it sound even better? Ive heard you can buy an external sound board for it, but cant seem to find one.

Thanks!

Mike-48 likes this.
  2. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

You can look hifiberry website, they have modules to improve the sound.

EmmEff, Craig, telemike and 1 other person like this.
  3. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I'll have to try a USB sound card I have

raq0915 likes this.
  4. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Cool site. Looks like for $22.90 you can plug in a standard DAC with analog RCA out.

5. Tartifless

Definitely, but i guess the digital output card and external dac would give the best result if you already own a good dac.

External usb soundcard should actually work, i guess it's the same result in the end !

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  6. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

There's an add-on board that gets you spdif out. Makes it one little beast of a music streamer. I've been meaning to set one up myself but I'm waiting to upgrade my DAC first

7. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  8. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

only thing i wished for was a regular power adapter.

9. Tartifless

What's wrong with it ?

10. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

just don't like having to unplug and replug it in to reboot.

11. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Check out this site:
    MCM Electronics.
    I bought my PI and a few things from that site. I know I've seen a power switch on that site that you plug into your PI, then plug the power supply into. Problem solved.
    I also hope you are doing the proper shutdown before you unplug to reboot? I've just unplugged to reboot before & fried an SD card.

12. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

yeah. the lack of a switch plus the potential for destroying an sd card is what annoys me about the pi. hard to argue tho with the value proposition

13. Damien DiAngelo

Also just remembered, if you just need to reboot, you can do it from the menu, just like any other computer. No need to power off & back on just for a reboot.

14. Drew

Drew Senior Member

You should never reboot by pulling the power cable. You could cor rupture the sdhc card it boots from.

15. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I own a HiFiBerry dac+ but I saw "phat dac" at the local microcenter a few days ago.

16. Damien DiAngelo

If your interested, I found the power supply on their site. $18.99

If you need to shutdown or reboot, go to the menu in the upper left, and select Shutdown (In the pixel desktop). You can then select reboot or shutdown. If you are using the command line, just type sudo reboot or sudo shutdown. If you're actually shutting down, wait about 10 seconds before unplugging. The lights should stop flashing.
    Just a public service announcement, because like I said above, I've fried a card with an improper shutdown.

17. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

When I had one i got a bundle that specifically included a power cable with an integral on/off switch half way along it. Don't have it now , but could see the problem upfront. Not going to search for it but they must still be available it's such an obvious problem/solution.

18. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

I have one of these to power the unit on and off, since ocassionally I lose connectivity via wifi (my unit is headless):
    Amazon.com: JBtek Raspberry Pi Micro USB Cable with ON / OFF Switch - Easy Start / Reboot !: Computers & Accessories

Using picoreplayer to make the unit run as a a squeezebox player, after boot everything runs in memory, so if you pull the power, there is no sd card corruption possible...

If you use the HDMI as your audio, there isnt much to do. If you dont you can get a usb dac (I have), or there are expansion boards avaiable cheap to make an onboard dac... but I suggest USB because you can use it on different devices in the future, if you need/want.

19. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I bought the HifiBerry DAC+. Well, I can't get it to work with OSMC. I select the DAC+ as soundcard overlay and then select the ALSA output. The green led lights but no sound out. If i go to HDMI out, I do get analog out the RCA jacks but is it using the Hifiberry dac or not?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  20. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

Are you sure the volume is up on the dac in alsamixer?

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

And better yet, is there a box to check to bypass software volume control all together? It seems that's what you'd want with a HiFiberry.

22. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I've got this setup feeding my Rega Dac-r and it's great. I run Rune player via my iPad to control it. Use it mainly for hi-def as my sonos won't process that.

Robert C and MrRom92 like this.
  23. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

You close the OS in a tablet and then pull the plug after it shuts down and you don't screw up the instalation on the card. You wouldn't screw up the card at all, anyway, just the installation on it.

24. Mike Pinkerton

Mike Pinkerton Member

DietPi runs entirely off a RAM disk, so there is nothing to worry about when you lose power. Very easy to set up and works with Roon and NAA end points. You should check it out.

krisbee likes this.
  25. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

What is that? I am using OSMC Kodi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.