Anybody else collect comedy records/CD's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Cosby did two vocal LPs for Warner. Numerous non-comedy albums later,including the Badfoot Brown LPs,Disco Bill,an anti-drug album(yeah,I know)and others where he is more of a producer able to put his name on something to attract folks stumbling into the comedy section.

2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Totie Fields LIVE!!!!

Jimmy B. likes this.
  3. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

When I first listened to the Firesign Theatre (Don't Crush That Dwarf...), I didn't get it. I was 18. I had not really been exposed to that kind of entertainment.

30 years later, I have 23 albums, so, obviously, it clicked at some point. (Detailing the journey would be long and boring to most.)

I found it best to approach FT as a surrealistic old-style radio show (or surrealistic podcast, in today's world). It's not comedy in the traditional sense. It's a series of absurdist productions (which can be quite funny).

That's not to say that you will ever get it or like it. Just sharing what my experience was.

Curious Breeze and Jazzmonkie like this.
  4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

"Waiting for the Electrician or Someone like Him" by The Firesign Theatre is their first and best album IMO. I can't really get into the other ones.

5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

That was one of the first FT albums to click with me. The title track is great in its paranoid, Cold War-era madness. "Temporarily Humboldt County" is in a class all by itself.

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

My first exposure was Nick Danger Third Eye. Hooked I was, even though a lot of it went over my 16 year old head. Thats what so cool. As I garnered more experience and knowledge I "got" more of it with every listen. Like a new experience every time. I can do entire bits from memory.
    Giant Rat Of Sumatra anyone? And the side project albums are among my favorites(TV Or Not TV and Roller Maidens From Outer Space)

alchemy and Platterpus like this.
  7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

no, I guess I don't. I liked Rodney Dangerfield years ago. Hell, I saw him live in 1986; I was second or third row center, at the Shoreline. He was HILARIOUS. God I forgot about this. He was SO much better - and WAY dirtier - than anything on his records - and I had them all - later on. He was completely hilarious live. Unbelievable, how much better he was.
    I bought and had his albums years ago; I even now still have the Contessa tape he did.
    Who else...Steven Wright is brilliant. Or was - it's been a while since I checked out what he's doing now.
    but I really don't collect...
    Neil Hamburger has made me laugh big time a good while ago, with the absolute worst jokes in the world. I had him - Mr. Gregg Turkington aka Neil Hamburger - when he was starting out, on singles and tapes...
    I really loved this one DVD where he performed in a near-empty bus terminal and the DVD had the feature, the option, to choose *stadium applause*! It was brilliant.
    Been a while though....
    I can't think of who else....must be somebody...
    I had a Bobcat - ha, this shows how long ago - an album by him. Hell, it was back in the days where I bought albums on vinyl....
    not sure if I'd like him now.
    I really don't know offhand who else I like, or who I like right now.
    I wonder if I'd like Bill Newhart's records, as his show Newhart was one of the most brilliant comedies to me....
    but the only ones I used to collect were Rodney and Neil, on vinyl; I stopped at some point.
    well I just thought of another one but I don't like him anymore and don't want to say who; it took a few years til I got sick of him.

OH!
    and I have an autographed Soupy Sales album; I had two of his album. HIM I loved!
    and an Art Carney single and....
    oh I had a couple by Jim Backus....and still have Delicious (I think...had different pressings)

Terrapin Station likes this.
  8. Nathan L Vogel

Nathan L Vogel Well-Known Member

I love collecting comedy records there is probably around 300 plus stand alone comedy themed or children's themed esc records or more in my collection

Curious Breeze likes this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Bob Newhart. You may as well try whatever Button Down Mind album you find first (they are in every store, and pretty funny).

Curious Breeze and mmars982 like this.
  10. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I have all of Mort Sahl's comedy records, and the one CD.. I also have everything Bill Hicks and George Carlin released.. I have its and bits of Dick Gregory, Bill Burr, Dave Chappelle, Mitch Hedberg, Dov Davidoff, Doug Stanhope, Jimmy Dore.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, exactly the same stuff you do with a few others...LP (still have a bunch), CD, DVD...

12. Michael

I've had them for years on the shelf...CDs and LPs...I ain't throwing them out. I loathe the guy now...very sad ending to a funny talented man...

Instant Dharma likes this.
  13. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Though I bought the Hungry i and Sing a Song of Watergate CD and CD-rip, which of course originally were released on LP, I also have the Mort Sahl's America CD, which I guess never was on LP. I expected the Eugene McCarthy interview to be a let down, but it was surprisingly entertaining.

I would have expected a Mort Sahl box by now. I'd buy it even though I likely have most or all of the stuff it would contain.

I saw Mort at BB King's in New York City in 2012. I assumed then it would be his last trip east. He was introduced by Dick Cavett. Though I did not know it at the time, Woody Allen and others (possibly Mike Nichols) were backstage.

I often quote Mort, especially the punch line (if there is such a thing for a Mort Sahl rap) at the end of one of his Hungry i monologues: "If you maintain a consistent political position in this country, you'll eventually be tried for treason."

MortSahlFan and beccabear67 like this.
  14. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I might have already mentioned this, but the first comedy album I ever heard (I probably was in grade school):

[​IMG]

A friend of mine played it for us. It probably belonged to his older brother.

His no-laugh-track TV show was cutting edge, I think.

15. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I got into buying Smothers Brothers LPs whenever I came across one I didn't have, and if i was lucky enough to find Bob Newhart in playable condition. Never paid more than $5. I also have an old Rich Little 45 (Allied label) from when he was still in Canada, both sides have him imitating Canadian Prime Ministers John Deiffenbaker and Lester Pearson. I'm too young to know if he was good at doing them and yet it was still funny, they're in the House Of Commons arguing about a bear's parts!

Also very into any Peter Cook on vinyl, have all the Deccas, wish I had all the Peter Sellers albums. I need more Mort.

I did get a couple Lenny Bruce Fantasy label albums, but it's not all gold. More modern stuff I enjoy includes Lenny & The Squigtones, Judy Tenuta, and Father Guido Sarducci!

I've transferred numerous Firesign Theatre LPs to CD-R for a friend but haven't warmed up to them to want to hear them a second time.

16. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Yes. My big ones are Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Steve Martin, Redd Foxx, and Monty Python, I also have many various ones like Bob Newhart, Justin Wilson, Lenny Bruce, Ray Stevens, Robin Williams, Eddie Murphy, MAD Magazine, Woody Allen, and more I cannot remember for now.

17. baracuda

baracuda Forum Resident

On Mobile Fidelity cds

18. Michael

YES, I have that one...

19. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The only Cosby album I have isn't comedy. I've been kind of unsure what to think about it though recently along with an old 45 of Nick O'Teen and Al K. Hall by Rolf Harris. Is Jose Jiminez as culturally insensitive now as Tie Me Kangaroo Down? Strange days indeed. :confused:

[​IMG]

20. MortSahlFan

All his albums are now on YouTube.. Tons of things uploaded this year, including the backstage of Mort, Cavett, Woody, Elaine May... There's also a great backstage video with Paul Dooley and someone else, with John Avildsen (Rocky/Karate Kid director).

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

A few from my vinyl collection.

George Carlin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spike Jones
    [​IMG]

Laugh-In/Dan Rowan Dick Martin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darryl

Curious Breeze and MortSahlFan like this.
  22. MortSahlFan

Carlin's first album

Curious Breeze and JamieC like this.
  23. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

Always checked in to most of the stuff in this thread already, many are of a certain time, and I don't feel the need to own everything, even if I thought it was the bee's knees when I was younger. For most downloads will do. To boil down what I have kept purchased or collected

Probably my most hard to find comedy LP is Brother Theodore - Tears From a Glass Eye.... With a Tongue of Madness
    (credited simply as Theodore, recorded at Carnegie Hall May 21, 1955 at midnight).

Other than that, as you might note from my signature quote, all things emanating from the Peter Cook/Dudley Moore universe (in my view, Cook was a tremendous, if slightly troubled genius).

all the Monty Python and Amnesty International comedy LPs

All LP's by Jean Shepherd.

Everything by Emo Phillips

On a more musical comedy basis, Stan Freeburg, Slim Galliard, Spike Jones, and most recently, Tammy Faye Starlite (a.k.a. Tammy Lang)

24. ricks

ricks Senior Member

No-laugh track or were the attendees perhaps roofied?

MortSahlFan likes this.
  25. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I love the B&R routine when the brother/sister that have been separated for 70 years
    finally reunite and have absolutely nothing to say to each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.