Anybody have a TCL TV?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Sep 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

My dad is interested in upgrading his Samsung, and I'm interested in simplifying his system as I've posted before. I saw some good reviews of TCL, BUT I am wondering if it has a setting for variable audio output...

2. head_unit

bump...nobody?

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Man, I think Samsung makes much better sets than TCL. Spend more money and get the Samsung. I'm a bigger fan of LG (in general).

Lownote30 and OldSoul like this.
  4. head_unit

I like Samsung, but neither Samsung nor LG offer analog out volume control, unless they have added that in like the last year.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's not something I use. I just got a new (inexpensive) Onkyo surround receiver and use that as an HDMI switcher and volume control.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Go to AVS Forums to get all that info.

Having said that, if you want to simplify, get a soundbar and a great TV. Easy and you'll end up with a much better picture.

carrick doone, CBC and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

TCL is actually getting good reviews. It seems that they are the best of tthe cheaper TVs.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Chris DeVoe and CBC like this.
  8. stereoguy

My thing is that I'm looking for 4K set that has a very good picture but with 6 HDMIs. I've found sets with 5, but not 6 yet.

9. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

That's probably going to be a tall order - even the high-end sets usually max out at 4 HDMI inputs.

Just curious, why do you need 6 inputs? Are you not able to use an AV receiver to handle HDMI switching?

10. stereoguy

Hiya Dave.

Actually, I've kinda settled on a 2016 Visio 4k model that has 5 HDMI ports. That should work Great.
    As for the AV receiver switching, I use an older, non HDMI receiver in my home theatre that I really like, and dont feel like upgrading that.

I've done some more research today and I *could* get by with 4 HDMI ports if the set has built in Chromecast. Although I still think I'm going to buy the Vizio with the 5 to be sure I have enough. The nice thing there is that I could plug the Chromecast gizmo into the port on the "easy access" side, and if I ever really need it for something else, I can just pop it right out and connect my phone (for example).

11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Just get an HDMI splitter.

12. stereoguy

Strat, I already have one. Its a pain,its extra HDMI cables and needs power and I'd like to be able to just plug my HDMI devices right into the TV.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Whatever you do, don't transport your new flatscreen TV home from the store like this guy:

[​IMG]

rockclassics likes this.
  14. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Someone in my family does and I haven't been impressed with the picture quality.It's the worst HD screen I've sat through. Granted this was a HD tv from 4 years ago, they may have improved. Or the folks writing reviews on Amazon can't discern quality.

15. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

16. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

I just bought one. So far no complaints. Sure there's always better. But for the $. Definitely worth it.

17. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Very positive review here. Unfortunately not available in Europe.

18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Installed two TCL TVs for my brother at his new home, a 65" and 55". I love the fact that the set is built around a Roku, and believe it's the only smart TV that's worth a damn. Roku has every reason to constantly upgrade their box in the television all Samsung LG and every other television manufacturer doesn't want to upgrade the "smarts," they want you to buy a new television.

19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I have one now. Roku TV, works well enough.

So far good bang for the buck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.